Question on mercs and +skills

xiexin

Diabloii.Net Member
Question on mercs and +skills

Though it seems to me like it would make for a weaker merc, I had and idea for a setup.

A2 - Defiance Merc
Helm - Dream
Armor - Principle
Weapon - Infinity

Now, I don't fully understand +skills and mercs, but would this theoretically give me a merc with:
Lvl 17 Holy Shock
Level 14 Conviction
Defiance (merc level +2)?

I know it skimps the resists and -%dam taken but as support for a cl/orb sorc does anybody think this setup might be worth anything?

thegiantturtle

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Question on mercs and +skills

Auras on equip cannot have there skill level raised (except for equipping another item with the same aura when equipped).

Principle grants +paladin skills. Act 2 mercs are not paladins.

xiexin

Diabloii.Net Member

ah...ok that's what i wanted to check. now, if I equipped +offensive/defensive aura, would that affect the merc's aura?

xiexin

Diabloii.Net Member

awesome...ty for the help

now, time to go plan out a new setup for my merc

ProfessionalBerg

Diabloii.Net Member

I suggest:

Insight Elite Etheral Polearm (CL is mana-drainer)
Fortitude Ethereal Glitched Armor (search the forums for eth glitch if you don't know) / Budget options: Shaftstop-Duriel's Shell-Leviathan-Smoke runeword
Andariel's Visage 'Ral' / Budget options: Tal Helm-Crown of Thieves-Vampire Gaze (Remember, LEECH!)

You could use Infinity as well, but then you could just build pure Light sorc anyway.

FattyMcGee

Diabloii.Net Member

Auras on equip cannot have there skill level raised (except for equipping another item with the same aura when equipped).
This is good to know!

So, just to get this clear in my head, the +1 to 2 to all skills granted by Faith will not also raise the level of fanat that Faith gives? Nor will any other +to skills equipment (such as anni)?

Darn, now i'm going to have to re-plan my bowazon...

thegiantturtle

Diabloii.Net Member

So, just to get this clear in my head, the +1 to 2 to all skills granted by Faith will not also raise the level of fanat that Faith gives? Nor will any other +to skills equipment (such as anni)?
You've got it clear.

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator

Mercs only benefit from bonuses without class restrictions. If new skills with no class restriction are granted, a merc won't use them actively (no teleporting Enigma merc), but he will benefit from passive skills (e.g. critical strike from Insight).

Granted auras, chance-to-cast effects and charges aren't subject to skill bonuses.

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member

IIRC barb mercs gets +stun and +bash if that's a staffmod on the helm. Not that that helps a lot, and barb combat skills are generally very rare staffmods in 1.10+