question on merc gear

dlscowby

Diabloii.Net Member
question on merc gear

ok i am a ww ik barb on L east, my merc is currently lvl 61, i am lvl 83. he is a might merc of course, and is wearing a 6/8/17 gaze unsocketed yet, 1590 defense fort in a great haubrek, and a eth cryptic obediance. i like the bigtime dmg he does even at lvl 61, almost 9k so far. but i was wondering, in your guys' opinion, is gaze the way to go, and i know ill try and get a better fort for him, i think i have the best obediance (unless there is a better eth weapon i can socket) i guess my question is since there isnt a merc guide for me to look at, should i stick with the obediance, or should i go with another rw, like i think its insight with concentration? it would help my dmg and lower his a bit, i know its all about personal choice, but what would weild the best dmg ratio wise for both of us. thanks if you can help me out a lil bit.

prawncracker

Diabloii.Net Member
Stick with Obedience
You can change the gaze for an ethereal Andariel's. With the resist bonus from Obedience and Fortitude, you might not need to socket it with a Ral or fire resist jewel - so you are left with a spare socket for something extravagant such as jah/Ber/ed+ias

dlscowby

Diabloii.Net Member
ok thanks, now i thought the speed of his att was related to the weapon? so wouldnt the ed/ias jewel be worthless? it would be cheaper to just get a 40ed jewel since the ias doesnt work. but again thanks.

rikstaker

Diabloii.Net Member
Obedience is great if you are on a budget.Forget pride-expensive & no on-weapon ed,your merc will be doing too little dmg to survive well with leech.reapers toll is hands down the best merc weapon for all melee builds.

its the 33% ctc decripify that does the trick.

1)Decripify lowers physical resists by 50%,that means your & his FINAL dmg is increased by 50%.You'll be doing 4.5k dmg instead of doing 3k.
2)Decripify reduces their speed & dmg by 50% as well. :thumbsup: .So very little separates it from doom if you are talking defensive capability.
3)Huge on weapon leech-Hireling survives well.
4)An eth version costs just around a mal. :thumbsup:

Rik

Chimaira

Diabloii.Net Member
dlscowby said:
ok thanks, now i thought the speed of his att was related to the weapon? so wouldnt the ed/ias jewel be worthless? it would be cheaper to just get a 40ed jewel since the ias doesnt work. but again thanks.
IAS works fine with mercs, both the on weapon IAS and gear IAS. I'd say stick with Vampire Gaze, the damage reduction part is sweet.

dlscowby

Diabloii.Net Member
rikstaker said:
Obedience is great if you are on a budget.Forget pride-expensive & no on-weapon ed,your merc will be doing too little dmg to survive well with leech.reapers toll is hands down the best merc weapon for all melee builds.
so are you telling me to ditch my obediance on him (250-1000+ dmg) to my reapers? he be sacrificing 100 on min dmg and over 600 on max dmg. he is currently lvl 81, and doing 2.5k-9k dmg. i know that we will do max dmg with our attacks most of the time with decrep, but is the dmg loss worth it? and also i am sorta on a budget...it cost me my only mal to get the eth cryptic axe...and i already had the runes for it. i got the nice forts for an amazing deal, i had a sc that was 3max/17ar/2str and traded that for fort. but anyways, sorry bout the tangent...all of the input is greatly apreciated.

rikstaker

Diabloii.Net Member
dlscowby said:
so are you telling me to ditch my obediance on him (250-1000+ dmg) to my reapers? he be sacrificing 100 on min dmg and over 600 on max dmg. he is currently lvl 81, and doing 2.5k-9k dmg.i know that we will do max dmg with our attacks most of the time with decrep, but is the dmg loss worth it? and also i am sorta on a bdget...it cost me my only mal to get the eth cryptic axe...and i already had the runes for it. i got the nice forts for an amazing deal, i had a sc that was 3max/17ar/2str and traded that for fort. but anyways, sorry bout the tangent...all of the input is greatly apreciated.
Dmg loss? Due to decripify,he'll end up doing much more dmg with ETH reapers then he'd do with obedience so there is no "dmg loss",in fact their is a dmg gain to both you & him.

With the 250-1000 obedience he does: 2.5-9k::Avg:5750
So with the same ed factor(str/jab/might/fort etc) &
61-719 eth reapers he will do:Avg:3588

With reapers he has 33% chance of deadly,so:3588*1.33=4772

When decripify triggers,he'll do 4772*1.50=7158 dmg per hit vs 5750 of obedience.

In addition reapers is ITD-He'll never miss against normal monsters,onboard leech for better survival & other benefits of dmg & speed reduction of decripify already mentioned.

Obedience got cb,but that isnt such a big deal when you are attacking at 4 frames with a 40% cb weapon yourself.The weapon does not offer any benefit dmg wise to YOU,you'll be doing the most killing not him.You are attacking at 4 frames & decripify will multiply the dmg of those 6 attacks per second by a factor of 50%.

I cant explain it better,so if you cant spare another mal or you believe he'll be doing lower dmg please stick with obedience.

Rik

dlscowby

Diabloii.Net Member
well thank you very much. that explained it perfectly. i will have to test this out for sure. explaining it to me like that really put it into perspective. once again thanks :)

RetroStar

Diabloii.Net Member
Obedience has a more consistant dmg as it doesn't need to wait for DS or Decrip or trigger for it to do the dmg. Though I still like Eth Reaper more.