Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question on max block and rhyme shield.

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by BongLord, Mar 3, 2004.

1. BongLord

BongLord IncGamers Member

Question on max block and rhyme shield.

Hey,

I'm currently in the process of lvl'ing a meteorb sorcress to mf in hell, and I was wondering what type of shield I should that would help me achieve max blocking with the Rhyme rune word.

Anyways thx,

*smokes da bong*

2. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

You can get max block with any shield, it's a matter of investing enough dex.
    15 + 2* level is the dex required to get the blocking listed on the shield.
    To calculate the dex required for a 75% block at a given level, use the following formula:

Dexterity = 15 + (total blocking%)/(2*level)

In this formula, total blocking% is the blocking as listed when hovering over the shield, plus increased chance of blocking from other items (Guardian Angel, Twitchthroe, safety amulet). If you want to calculate the blocking% that will appear on the shield before socketing it, look up the base blocking% of the shield on the Arreat Summit and just add the increased chance of blocking% that the runeword will give you.

3. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Achieving Max-Block with Rhyme needs a very hefty investment into Dex, since the blocking of a say Rhyme-Grimshield is just 60%.

You will be better of with either Moser's Blessed Circle(%57 but nice sockets), Whistan's Guard(75%) or Visceratuant (upgraded version 72% block).

If you are using Rhyme for MF, then just keep it on you weapon switch.

4. bwirum

bwirum IncGamers Member

For a sorc to save str stats I'd say go with a heater, elite light shield. Has a 77 str req, and inherent 42% block chance for sorcs. Added 20% from Rhyme gives you 62%.

For lvl 89 you'd then need a total of 231 dex for 75% block while standing still.

A hyperion, aegis or ward gives 44% inherent but the str reqs are much higher.

But really, Meli says it all up there ^^ do that :)

5. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Sounds not too bad, 213dex is still hefty though, for that Dex investment you can get better shields already?!
    Code:
    Dexterity required for max block (75%) for a sorceress

shield			str	block	dex/lv	LV30	LV50	LV80	LV99
    -------------------	---	-----	------	----	----	----	----
    Lidless Eye		 58	 40%	3.75	128	203	315	387
    Lidless Eye + Eld	 58	 47%	3.19	111	175	271	331
    Moser's Circle		 53	 57%	2.63	 94	147	226	276
    Grim Shield + Rhyme	 58	 60%	2.50	 90	140	215	263
    Sigon's Tower		 75	 64%	2.34	 86	133	203	248
    Stormshield		156	 67%	2.24	 83	127	195	237
    Sigon's Tower + Eld	 75	 71%	2.11	 79	121	185	225
    Visceratuant Heater	 77	 72%	2.08	 78	120	182	222
    Gerke's Sanctuary	133	 74%	2.03	 76	117	178	216
    75% blocking shield		 75%	2.00	 75	115	175	213
    Whistan's Guard		 53	 87%	1.72	 67	102	153	186
    Whistan's + Eld		 53	 94%	1.60	 63	 95	143	173

Bone/Grim Shields with Rhyme, Sanctuary, or Deflecting suffix have 60% block
    Sigon's Tower + Eld and Moser's Blessed Circle + 2 Eld's both have 71% block
    Gerke's Sanctuary and Stormshield with an Eld rune both have 74% block

With 237 you could already take a Stormshield. Visceratuant is 222, Whistan's even lower. I'd rather suggest keeping Rhyme on Switch and get a REAL blocking Shield. Dont think that 62% Blockwould be suffcient. You either go the whole way or leave it and go MAX VIT. A mix is rather nto that effective.

6. bwirum

bwirum IncGamers Member

I plan going all out vit with my next sorc. If I was to make a blocksorc right now, I might have considered upgrading a mosers and putting 1 eld and a pdia in it for the 7% extra block and 19% res. You'd still be needing 100 str for what will then be a Luna, but if you are going to use enigma that's really not an issue. Either way, you shouldn't aim for 75% block with a rhyme shield. It's just too many points spent on dex. You're better off with them points on vit. Use a block shield to block and a mf shield on switch. It's a proven way ;)

7. Stormcryer

Stormcryer IncGamers Member

As to max block, again I say upgraded viscer is the best bang for the buck if you want chep max blocking, gooddef, and not have to throw away a tonne of skill points.

As to the "best" shield for a rhyme, 2 words....trolls nest.

Cheers!

Storm

8. FattyMcGee

FattyMcGee IncGamers Member

heater is best for rhyme. lower reqs, higher blocking %.

but troll nest does have a way cooler name :teeth:

9. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

The Hyperion tops the list for blocking at 44% (64% after rhyme). It is a medium shield, so it will slow your running a bit (though who runs when she can tele :)).

Troll Nest has the highest defense for a light shield and a decent blocking (40%, i.e. 60% after Rhyme).

The Heater, as has already been pointed out, is both light and has a better blockrate blockrate than Troll Nest (42%, i.e. 62% after Rhyme). The Monarch is also a light shield, has 42% blockrate (i.e. 62% after Rhyme) and has a higher defense than the Heater - but it has a sttep strength requirement.

So, if you're pvm, I'd say Hyperion is the best Rhyme shield if you have the strength for it (127). If your shield must be light, go for the Monarch if you have the strength for that (156), or if you're a low strength build, go for the heater, with the Troll Nest (or a Grim Shield - same blocking, lower reqs) being a good alternative.

Note, as Melianor also points out, that there are better blocking shields than Rhyme. It's still decent, though, and the mf, resist and cannot be frozen makes it too nice to ignore.

10. Stormcryer

Stormcryer IncGamers Member

One thing worth keeping in mind is how long you would be switched to rhymed shield/mf weap, (the time it takes to register the killing blow) and what the immedeate environment is like. Meph and the big D, are usually one on two attacks... the boss against you and your merc.

Incidental attacks from residual nasties is not a great threat, so the dimished def, while you're in MF weap switch may not be an issue. But if you're running the pits and Baal (the latter cause he likes to clone) the momentary dip in defense for the sake of an extra 2% of blocking could be undesirable.

Although this is a really minor issue given that when most MFer have gotten to the point where a few incidental hits from uniques in the pits may not be fatal , but in the case where Baal spawns it can hurt...fataly.

All it takes is to ge engrossed with the primary Baal, have him spawn just before you would normally kill him, and have his clone drop some of that nice red stuff all over you. Ouch.... The trolls nest increased def can come in handy there.

Also there the str issue. If you're not looking into a pure Blocking /DR suild (i.e. SS) then every pioint that you can reroute from strenght to dex (or energy once max blocking has been achieved) is important.

So the only issue between heater and trolls nest is the added def, as I really don''t see 2% added blocking as being a priority on a 2nd shield switch , and given that I'm not usually in the 2nd weap switch for too long, I wnet with the trolls nest.

I'll definately have to look into teh heater numbers better. Perhaps I erred on the side of def, and may have to re-evaluate my shield selection.

Cheers!

Storm