Question on high school classes

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
Question on high school classes

Another kiddie question: these are the high school classes that my kiddies have the option to take: Kiddie classes

I can only base my opinions on high schools based on my experience which was, frankly, piss poor.

Are all of these classes the norm? When I was in high school, we did not have these options.

I am asking due to the fact that I would love to have a house. Houses in our school district are very expensive as well as the property taxes.

I hate to sound morbid, but both of my parents are getting up there in age. My mom told me the other day that their house will be mine in the next 5-10 years. The school system in which she lives in is terrible. It is the same system that caused all the problems with Liam and I will not allow Samara to go there. My hopes are that my parents live quite a bit longer and I don't have to worry about it until Liam graduates. After that, the house will be his while he attends college.

What do you think of the classes? Are they on-par with other schools, or do they provide more?
 

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, there are computer programming classes, Japanese, French, Spanish, German, French, Latin, weight lifiting, drawing, painting, crafts, sculpture, graphics, accounting, mythology, creative writing, photography, archery...gah, this all seems like a college booklet.

Along time ago, when I was in high school, we didn't have these types of choices. Is this standard?
 
Well, my kids' high school offers most of that stuff at one point or another, but not all of it. No Japanese, for instance, but Russian, for example.

However, the core classes remain as usual, and most of these are electives that can be taken in addition to, not instead of, those cores.
 

piff

Diabloii.Net Member
That's more choices than my school has in foreign languages and the arts, and I go to one of the best academic schools in the region. If Liam, who is incredibly smart and able, were to take any of those listed, it would only benefit him, especially the languages. If I could have started French when I was 11, I'd be much better off as I'd be nearly fluent by now if I kept up intense studies and I'd be able to focus more heavily on German or Russian. High schools, in general, have gotten much better than they were, I'm going to estimate your age, sorry if I'm off, 15 years ago. Furthermore, from the program of studies (even though I only got to page 2) it looks like a good school.
 

Nword

Banned
How big of a school?

Its somewhat more choices than my school... which is close to 2900 students... (actually it's a district wide course booklet we get, so it's closer to uhh 6000 students in 2 big high schools and a smaller alternative arts school)

I noticed that there aren't any AP Foreign Language classes. It's also interesting that there's only one AP Calc class, because there are two different AP Calc Tests, AB and BC (easier and harder).

I think you have a good selection, although if its like the system here, not every class listed will be available, based on money and # of students signing up.

We only have to take 2 years each of math and science, but a full year of phys ed (half of it can be waivered by playing a sport)... We also don't have all those fancy awards listed in your school's document. We get ours by owning half the sports in the state.

Choirs seem somewhat limited... though thats from someone who took 2 years of high school choir and expects 4 different choirs, including a large all male choir (something quite rare).
 

Stevinator

Diabloii.Net Member
zodiac66 said:
Well, there are computer programming classes, Japanese, French, Spanish, German, French, Latin, weight lifiting, drawing, painting, crafts, sculpture, graphics, accounting, mythology, creative writing, photography, archery...gah, this all seems like a college booklet.

Along time ago, when I was in high school, we didn't have these types of choices. Is this standard?
well, it seems like there's a nice diversity of mostly useless classes. that can be good, if little liam is interested in becoming an expert in underwaterbasket weaving, but if his interests lie more with courses that may be useful one day...well maybe not so much. certainly extra options won't hurt. at the very least they'll keep all the useless kids out of the meaty classes.....
 

Nword

Banned
Stevinator said:
well, it seems like there's a nice diversity of mostly useless classes. that can be good, if little liam is interested in becoming an expert in underwaterbasket weaving, but if his interests lie more with courses that may be useful one day...well maybe not so much. certainly extra options won't hurt. at the very least they'll keep all the useless kids out of the meaty classes.....
That's true... I guess my school is missing that type of stuff. But it also lacks some of the good stuff too. We really could do with better engineering type classes. All the machining classes are done at the other big high school.. :confused:
 

axeil

Diabloii.Net Member
Sounds just like my school, only for languages we only have Spanish, French, German, Sign Language and Latin.
 

Stevinator

Diabloii.Net Member
axeil said:
Sounds just like my school, only for languages we only have Spanish, French, German, Sign Language and Latin.
I would totally take sign language...but only because of the inherent evilness of talking without making noise
 

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
The high school I went to in 1984-5 offered seven languages: Spanish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, and Russian. It was a 2,000-student school in Oregon. (Then I went to an international school that offered only Japanese, French, and Spanish. Go figure. It was a lot smaller though.) Some districts and/or schools are probably pretty well outfitted to offer a wide range of stuff, even today.
 

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
My high school offered German, Latin, Spanish, and French. There were about 1400-1500 kids in 10th-12th grade. The other high school in the district was the same way.
 

Raistlin Majere

Diabloii.Net Member
Wow, I when to a 1500+ student school, and all they offered was spanish. A language in the past Makes watching paint dry exciting. And the the Board in their wisdom imparted the pathetic idea that everyone going through HS knew exactly what they wanted to be as adults, forcing me to take four years worth of tech classes to major in Construction/Engineering on my senior year. I think I was the only senior too busy to do anything after class.
 

krzyhobo

Diabloii.Net Member
Stevinator said:
well, it seems like there's a nice diversity of mostly useless classes. that can be good, if little liam is interested in becoming an expert in underwaterbasket weaving, but if his interests lie more with courses that may be useful one day...well maybe not so much. certainly extra options won't hurt. at the very least they'll keep all the useless kids out of the meaty classes.....
Accounting, photography, computer science, fine arts, creative writing, etc. are useless? If your only goal in life is economic success within a management position at some conservative corporation, then sure. You must lead a very uninteresting life.

Please don't interpret this as a personal attack - everyone is entitled to their interests and opinions. We will agree to disagree.
 

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
piff said:
That's more choices than my school has in foreign languages and the arts, and I go to one of the best academic schools in the region. If Liam, who is incredibly smart and able, were to take any of those listed, it would only benefit him, especially the languages. If I could have started French when I was 11, I'd be much better off as I'd be nearly fluent by now if I kept up intense studies and I'd be able to focus more heavily on German or Russian. High schools, in general, have gotten much better than they were, I'm going to estimate your age, sorry if I'm off, 15 years ago. Furthermore, from the program of studies (even though I only got to page 2) it looks like a good school.
Piff, you flatter me, you charmer. My 20 year is this year.

This school also offers students the ability to study abroad. Has anyone done this? What is the cost? What do you study?
 

Deadbolt'd

Diabloii.Net Member
I think Matt's sister, who also posts here even if I can't remember the handle, has been in Sweden for a while.
 

Echod16

Diabloii.Net Member
ah, so just want to stack the class availability at Liam's possible school to ours

anyhow...based on some of the classe si've seen posted on from the document...i'd say there's mroe than at West High School of Torrane, CA (what i attend)

we have all the core classes (math from remedial to calculus BC and ESL to English 4 AP), spanish, french, korean, chinese, and japanese. Many sports activities (not including lacrosse, cricket, rugby or other european sports[we have surfing as a geographical plus, though]).

so yeah...the school you're thinking of for Liam is probably as good if not better than West High School

also, does this particular school have a good Acadameic decathalon team? things such as this build the schools real reputation as an academic (college-friendly) powerhouse
 

bigD72

Diabloii.Net Member
It's hard to judge schools and their curriculum just from a website. The experience of the classroom, the teachers, the types of students all make every class different. At my school for example we offer the exact same stuff as another school, but we are graded out much higher on the "School Report Card" by the county and we were in the top 1000 schools for the nation. And the reason why is because of the quality of teacher that is provided. Some schools are really selective and it shows, while others will hire anything that resembles a teacher.
 

piff

Diabloii.Net Member
Empired is the one staying in Sweden. I got a PM from her a few months ago, and she was loving it and could speak fluent Swedish. Great opportuniy, and anyone should take it if he or she gets the chance.
 
Top