Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question on GoMule

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Disposition, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Disposition

Disposition Diabloii.Net Member

So I put my character file on to a USB: (Still need to test a ladder runeword to make sure I installed it right lmao)

Draydon KEY file
    Draydon.ma0
    Draydon.map
    Draydon.ds2

and I put GoMule on the USB aswell...

I can get the character to load no problem on my home computer but when I load GoMule and try to load my stash tabs they are all empty? What's the gig? :/

2. logoutzero

logoutzero Diabloii.Net Member

Gomule has it's own saves for stashes and projects. You will have to move these as well. The items aren't stored in gomule itself, rather it creates .d2s files (the same as a character file) and read/writes to it.

Edit

You might have to change the place gomule looks for its files on each computer. I usually just install d2 and extract gomule to the thumb drive and make it it's own environment.

3. Disposition

Where does it create those? I assumed they would be in the GoMule file. :(

I wanted to have GoMule on the thumb drive and just transfer it between computers when I go home and to work so I could play with the same character but that doesn't seem super simple. :/ Unless I'm missing something?

I extracted GoMule to my desktop on my laptop, I put that entire folder in to my USB stick and on my USB stick I assumed it would just transfer the .d2s files aswell.

4. Disposition

Nevermind, I figured it out, the files were all there but because I put it on my flash drive the drive was different and I had to re-open the stash tabs on the drive, all good.

Same with the character, I can now put stuff off and on, I'll double check it's working as intended tomorrow. :D

So my other question then would be is there a way to force a backup? Or is it even needed if I only use the flash drive?

5. Disposition

So now my other new question is if I'm running Diablo 2 off the USB stick aswell, with how D2 saves games now to "C:\Users\Yori\Saved Games\Diablo II" is there a way to change that save location or do I just have to copy my .d2s files every day between the two computers?

6. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

SPF Technical Support Thread should have quite a few of the answers.

Ref the saves, I've always manually copied to USB (and emailed/Dropboxed). I'm pretty sure there's a way to do a .bat file to do it, but I've always found it easier to manually back up. I use 7zip to minimize the file size. (Yes, I know USB stick capacity is bigger now but I'm old.)

7. Disposition

I believe I have the solution to be honest.. I can map GoMule and my USB drive to Z on both computers, that will make my GoMule able to go between the two computers and always be up-to-date. Then I have diablo 2 installed on both computers so as long as I transfer the character to the USB when I go between the two it should be perfect.

8. Disposition

Edit Edit: can't change where screen shots are set, I suppose I just have to update before I play. :(

Edit x3 xD :) How do I change where my GoMule backs things up to? Wouldn't mind having it backup elsewhere than the drive itself.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  9. Gynli

Gynli Diabloii.Net Member

@Disposition

if I were you, I'd definitely consider saving the files online - like @Thyiad suggested. But if you can't guarantee internet access or don't want to bother with uploading/downloading each time you play, I'd keep only the save files on the USB and just copy and paste it each time. The troubles of setting up both computers to work the way you want them to - as well as the possible/probable issues regarding loading/saving time - aren't really worth it. To make copying/pasting a slightly easier, I'd keep the character files and the stash files in the same hierarchy of folders, and keep a shortcut to the folder on both computers to copy/paste them in quicker.

If you are really keen on setting up the save files to be shared between two computers though, u'll probably have to do the following :

1) map the usb to same drive letter on both computers. Whether you can map specific usb to a separate letter is beyond me; but it doesn't matter for this specific situation as long as it's same letter.
    EDIT: now that I think about it, it doesn't have to be a same letter; just as long as you know what letter it'll be every time you plug the USB in. If it's D on comp1 everytime, just edit the registry to D, if it's F on comp2, edit it to F, etc. /EDIT

2) edit the d2 registry key to change the save path; I changed mine to the old path so I could keep all the files together. I can't recall exactly which path/key to edit off the top of my head, but I did find out from this forum, so give it a quick search and you'll find it relatively quickly. iirc you can change the screenshot path too.

3) setup your gomule project to look up the stash files from your usb.

Now, I don't know what will happen when you open either of the programs without your USB, or it it'll even work the way you want them to with just the steps above, but it should be in the general ballpark of things you'll have to do.

Good luck! and let us know if it works, or if you figure out a better way. =D

10. Disposition

@Gynli

If I was to try the online thing, what's the easiest way to keep everything online? I will always have internet access, I was going to just transfer to USB but if there's an easier online method I'd try that.

11. Gynli

@Disposition easiest would be your google drive. Download the chars/stashes (all of it, so you don' thave to keep track of which ones you need to upload), play with them, and upload the whole save file when you are done.

OT: I know there's a google API for handling files in the google drive; I wonder if there's a way to edit the registry to look at a network folder that'll be attached to the google drive. Does anyone know anything about this? I think it'll be a neat side project if it's at all possible. =D

12. Disposition

So create a "Diablo 2" folder on my google drive then when I'm done playing I upload :

GoMule Folder/Files
    Diablo 2 Player files : Draydon.d2s/keyfile/mao/map

It would be cool if there was a way to click a thing that did it automatically haha. :D I suppose it's no more or less clicks than transfering it to my thumb drive however. Probably more secure..

13. Gynli

While i'm sure it's possible and probably quite easy to just make one that does that, I'm also sure google already has something that does that for you. Look up google drive backup & sync; i haven't touched it so Idk how it'll work, but it should make things easier for you if it does what I think it does.

14. Disposition

Curious if anyone knows how to change the color of runes in GoMule?

I can't find the option to change this from red and it kills my eyes in a bad way.

RED.png

ioupainmax likes this.