Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question on Frozen Orb

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by -.kreizi.-, Mar 11, 2004.

1. -.kreizi.-

-.kreizi.- IncGamers Member

Question on Frozen Orb

i know the little bolts do the damage thats written on char page, but how much damage does the Big Ball?

2. Gengis Chuck

Gengis Chuck IncGamers Member

Nothing as far as I can tell. I think it simply acts as the source from where the shards come from.

3. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

The big ball is like 15-20 shards when it explodes at the end of its length. So I would assume that its between 15-20 times the damage if you get the big ball to hit at the last instance. Thats not to hard to do.

4. -.kreizi.-

it does damage i have hit with big ball the monsters and they die, and i mean direct hit of the ball, usually shatters the enemy also , so 15-20 damage?

5. fishman

fishman IncGamers Member

I've noticed the same thing...if the big ball goes right through a monster, it will often drop them in one shot, and if it goes off to the side of them, you need to FO again to kill them. So, it sure looks like it does a lot more damage than the bolts, but I also don't know how much.

6. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

The reason why FO kills so fast when the Big Ball :)D) hit monsters is that then ALL those little shards will hit (and usually only one single target)

7. -.kreizi.-

Well i figured that, but how much damage does the Big Ball do then? the number of little shards that come out of the orb * damage one shard does? Or what?

8. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Thats correct (and soon someone comes here and tell how stupid I was :teeth: )

9. Amiral

Amiral IncGamers Member

in .09, the big ball also froze the enemys if they didn't die...

10. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

I took a screenie and it seems the big ball explodes into 16 little shards at the end of its lenght

11. Lucky_Seven

Lucky_Seven IncGamers Member

Lprman,

So the best tactic is the ball passing through the monsters hiting in front and back :D.

I'm right?

Cheers

12. farting bob

farting bob Banned

i guess you cant ell, as the little shards will always hit the osnter the same time the ball does, and because theres alot of shards hitting almost simultneos, without looking at the code, you couldnt tell. where's shade when you need him?

13. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Ok, here is the screenie:

http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfolders/upload0/FO.jpg

I marked all those shards which appeared when ball exploded with red dots :teeth:

@ Lucky_Seven

Best way to use orb is to aim it so that it explodes inside monster. That makes sure at least 16 shards will hit

14. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

I don't look in the code, only the text files (I don't speak assembler :p) - I would assume that you get 16 small bolts and possibly one extra (the orb itself)...

15. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

muahaha i knew it :lol: Lpr has no life ^^

16. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

I don´t know how it is in 1.10, but in 1.09 and in classic, the orb didn´t release any bolts when it was "inside" a monster (apart from the explosion, which always worked). So for those versions, it was best to aim next to the monster. Or more specifically, next to their right shoulder. Because of the orb´s rotation and hence the direction and starting points of the bolts, that would maximize the number of bolts hitting a monster, regardless if the monster was moving towards or away from you.

But like I said, I have no idea if things have changed in 1.10.

17. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Nooooooo!! Now you told it to everyone...and I was just trying to help people... :grrr:

:teeth:

Nah, it was just 2 mins work to do that and I don't have anything better to do either (so don't have life :lol: )

18. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

The Orb itself does no dmg and the bolts appear from the center of the Orb. That is why it seems to do so much dmg when it goes over enemies.

19. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

It doesnt release any bolts, because the monster has taken damage from it all. I always try to position my sorceress when doing mephisto runs so that my orb explode at least halfway in, to halfway out, of Mephisto. This makes a big difference in killing speed considering I run him at /players 5. A perfect hit (explode in the center and releasing so bolts) will chop off huge chunks of mephisto's life. If I merely try to make my orb pass through him or explode in front of him, It will take almost twice the amount of orbs to kill him (after stacicing to half life)

20. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

Both of you guys are right. For monster crowds, I've noticed its best to point off-right for one monster (45deg tot he right) to killl them. Its easier to do that since once the monster moves forward, the orb passes through him, you do a LOT less damage.

I guess for Meph, since he's normally just standing there, you can time it better.