Question on Frozen Orb

-.kreizi.-

Diabloii.Net Member
Question on Frozen Orb

i know the little bolts do the damage thats written on char page, but how much damage does the Big Ball?

Uzziah

Diabloii.Net Member
-.kreizi.- said:
i know the little bolts do the damage thats written on char page, but how much damage does the Big Ball?
The big ball is like 15-20 shards when it explodes at the end of its length. So I would assume that its between 15-20 times the damage if you get the big ball to hit at the last instance. Thats not to hard to do.

-.kreizi.-

Diabloii.Net Member
it does damage i have hit with big ball the monsters and they die, and i mean direct hit of the ball, usually shatters the enemy also , so 15-20 damage?

fishman

Diabloii.Net Member
-.kreizi.- said:
it does damage i have hit with big ball the monsters and they die, and i mean direct hit of the ball, usually shatters the enemy also , so 15-20 damage?
I've noticed the same thing...if the big ball goes right through a monster, it will often drop them in one shot, and if it goes off to the side of them, you need to FO again to kill them. So, it sure looks like it does a lot more damage than the bolts, but I also don't know how much.

LprMan

Diabloii.Net Member
The reason why FO kills so fast when the Big Ball :)D) hit monsters is that then ALL those little shards will hit (and usually only one single target)

-.kreizi.-

Diabloii.Net Member
Well i figured that, but how much damage does the Big Ball do then? the number of little shards that come out of the orb * damage one shard does? Or what?

LprMan

Diabloii.Net Member
-.kreizi.- said:
Well i figured that, but how much damage does the Big Ball do then? the number of little shards that come out of the orb * damage one shard does? Or what?
Thats correct (and soon someone comes here and tell how stupid I was :teeth: )

LprMan

Diabloii.Net Member
I took a screenie and it seems the big ball explodes into 16 little shards at the end of its lenght

i guess you cant ell, as the little shards will always hit the osnter the same time the ball does, and because theres alot of shards hitting almost simultneos, without looking at the code, you couldnt tell. where's shade when you need him?

Shade

Diabloii.Net Member
farting bob said:
i guess you cant ell, as the little shards will always hit the osnter the same time the ball does, and because theres alot of shards hitting almost simultneos, without looking at the code, you couldnt tell. where's shade when you need him?
I don't look in the code, only the text files (I don't speak assembler :p) - I would assume that you get 16 small bolts and possibly one extra (the orb itself)...

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
I don´t know how it is in 1.10, but in 1.09 and in classic, the orb didn´t release any bolts when it was "inside" a monster (apart from the explosion, which always worked). So for those versions, it was best to aim next to the monster. Or more specifically, next to their right shoulder. Because of the orb´s rotation and hence the direction and starting points of the bolts, that would maximize the number of bolts hitting a monster, regardless if the monster was moving towards or away from you.

But like I said, I have no idea if things have changed in 1.10.

LprMan

Diabloii.Net Member
strijdje said:
muahaha i knew it :lol: Lpr has no life ^^
Nooooooo!! Now you told it to everyone...and I was just trying to help people... :grrr:

:teeth:

Nah, it was just 2 mins work to do that and I don't have anything better to do either (so don't have life :lol: )

RTB

Diabloii.Net Member
Shade said:
I don't look in the code, only the text files (I don't speak assembler :p) - I would assume that you get 16 small bolts and possibly one extra (the orb itself)...
The Orb itself does no dmg and the bolts appear from the center of the Orb. That is why it seems to do so much dmg when it goes over enemies.

Andrew

Diabloii.Net Member
jiansonz said:
I don´t know how it is in 1.10, but in 1.09 and in classic, the orb didn´t release any bolts when it was "inside" a monster (apart from the explosion, which always worked). So for those versions, it was best to aim next to the monster. Or more specifically, next to their right shoulder. Because of the orb´s rotation and hence the direction and starting points of the bolts, that would maximize the number of bolts hitting a monster, regardless if the monster was moving towards or away from you.

But like I said, I have no idea if things have changed in 1.10.
It doesnt release any bolts, because the monster has taken damage from it all. I always try to position my sorceress when doing mephisto runs so that my orb explode at least halfway in, to halfway out, of Mephisto. This makes a big difference in killing speed considering I run him at /players 5. A perfect hit (explode in the center and releasing so bolts) will chop off huge chunks of mephisto's life. If I merely try to make my orb pass through him or explode in front of him, It will take almost twice the amount of orbs to kill him (after stacicing to half life)

sunbearie

Diabloii.Net Member
Both of you guys are right. For monster crowds, I've noticed its best to point off-right for one monster (45deg tot he right) to killl them. Its easier to do that since once the monster moves forward, the orb passes through him, you do a LOT less damage.

I guess for Meph, since he's normally just standing there, you can time it better.