Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question on FO Sorc and Ice Runeword

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Cambylobacter, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Cambylobacter

Cambylobacter IncGamers Member

Question on FO Sorc and Ice Runeword

Not been able to search for this one easily, as it's concerning the "Ice" runeword.

Is there any viability in a FrozenOrb Sorceress, maxing out Cold Mastery, and then also carrying the "Ice" runeword bow?

I'm utterly new to Sorceress, and am piddling about with build ideas. I was looking at Infinity, which led me to look at Insight and consider some crazy Mana Regen build, and then I saw "Ice" with the notable mods:

+25-30% To Cold Skill Damage (varies)
    -20% To Enemy Cold Resistance
    Level 18 Holy Freeze Aura When Equipped
    Ignore Target's Defense

I've no idea if there is a workable synergy here, so any feedback would be appreciated.

2. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

Why? It's not as good as you may think...

First of all, the Bow requires you to lose both hands. As a Sorceress, you're losing out on the ability to hold an *actual* caster weapon and shield - this means you're losing out on FCR, Resistances, and most importantly, +Skills... and all the other good stuff you actually need. Ice has a lot of garbage (and I use this term relative to your ideas) mods that make it not really worth it.

Ignore Target's Defence doesn't work for spells, since they all hit anyway. Also, the Holy Freeze damage even with lots of +- Cold Skill Damage isn't as great as you think. Frozen Orb will still be your number one killer. Holy Freeze is not meant to kill... it's meant to slow.

Insight is also garbage, especially if you plan to use it as your main weapon. Infinity... I think it's garbage as a main weapon. Some people disagree.

Here's what I'd suggest:

1. Ditch the Ice Bow idea... it's seriously not worth it
    2. Get a Holy Freeze Town Guard. In the end, all that you really want from Holy Freeze is the slow, not the damage.
    3. To get the best out of both worlds, you can easily equip an Act II Town Guard with Infinity or Insight. That way, the only useful mod they have (ie the Auras) will benifit you while you can carry much better stuff.
    4. If you remain adamant about carrying an Insight, then keep it as a switch out weapon - that is, when you run low on mana, switch Insight on, then once your Mana regens, switch back to your main set.
    5. If you're adamant about carrying an item that gives you Holy Freeze, then use Doom on a one-handed Axe. :rolleyes: Trust me, you won't even notice the difference in Holy Freeze slvl. Then you can carry a shield as well.

Of course, carrying Ice and using FO is viable, but it's not smart. You will not kill as fast a FO Sorceress carrying something like Death's Fathom along with a Spirit. Plus, you're not even shooting the Bow, which makes you lose all the style points you earned by carrying it.

3. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Definitely viable, but more for the +25-30% Skill Damage than the -20% Cold Resist. Also, you neglected to mention the ctc Frost Nova, which when synergized by the Frozen Orb will deal 250 damage per hit (425 per hit if you max Blizzard, too, as a synergy). Not mindblowing damage, of course, but that's further boosted by Cold Mastery and will definitely be noticeable.

4. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Frost Nova triggers with FO.

5. Cambylobacter

Cambylobacter IncGamers Member

wow, thanks for the quick replies!

Yeah, I was wondering about using Ice, also with Maxed Warmth, Enchant and Fire Mastery too, so for CIs, I could consider firing the weapon, and being able to do some reasonable damage with it.

To be honest, it's probably a poor Enchantress Build, but I couldn't help but wonder, especially as my main character has always been a Frostmaiden Zon, and seeing the possibility of a Sorceress with a bow synergy, got me thinking as they say :)

6. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Nope, Frost Nova will only trigger with normal attacks... BUT...

Well, you have this spell that you cast here, and it has this nice long timer. Meanwhile, you're holding in your hands this here bow with ITD and some other decent mods. It makes no sense to me for a character to hold an Ice bow and not fire it between volleys of FO.

7. mrfrost

mrfrost IncGamers Member

I sense a 'theme' build here, geared toward the use of the RW bow, perhaps? In any case I agree with SSoG, in actually using the bow. How would small cold charms interact with the bows mods, and Sorc skills?

8. Jackson

Jackson IncGamers Member

How would small cold charms interact with the bows mods, and Sorc skills?

They do nothing for the cold spells like FO.