Question on facets and assassin charge-up skills

kardinaal

Diabloii.Net Member
Question on facets and assassin charge-up skills

Hey,

I'm building an immobilizer sin (Dragon Tail, Tiger Strike and Blades of Ice). Loving it so far, turns allmost everything to ice cubes. Then I got wondering about wether facets are good for this build.

First, I know -%res works with Dragon Tail, so ice and fire facets should work in that sense. (see this thread). It also mentioned that the +%damage to fire skills doesn't work with Dragon Tail (which isn't a fire skill, doesn't get + to fire skills). But BoI is a cold skill. Any idea how facets +%damage work with BoI? Will it up the splash damage when I release?

Sonolegolas

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Question on facets and assassin charge-up skills

I'm not sure if it works but if it doesn than you probably wont notice a big difference.

kardinaal

Diabloii.Net Member

I'm not sure if it works but if it doesn than you probably wont notice a big difference.
I'm trying to find a way to up the cold damage without using Pheonix Strike synergy, for use with fire or physical immunes I'd rather not spend 20 skillpoints just for immunes if I don't have to. I found a 3socket +3dtail +2 TS claw, so it would be 3 to 5 facets in total, which should get me around 50% more cold damage. Which would be comparable to 6 points in Phoenix strike... I see what you mean. It's not worth it.

Sass

Diabloii.Net Member

3-5 facets is 9-25% more damage tops.

And are you using cold only for immunes? DS works better than that will.

Last edited:

kardinaal

Diabloii.Net Member

3-5 facets is 9-15% more damage tops.

And are you using cold only for immunes? DS works better than that will.
Immunes and crowd control. Basically I go in under CoS, charge BoI 3 times, release with DTail, then when they're frozen just TS + DTail (with the occasional release of BoI to keep them frozen if necessary, doesn't happen much). A frozen wall of monsters is great crowd control, and leaving no corpses is a big plus too...

I could use Pheonix Strike synergy to get more damage, but it won't add any freeze time to the skill, so I'm not shure it's gonna be a good investment. It's aroud 400 cold splash damage extra for 20 skill points. So basically, I can keep BoI for crowd control, and pump DS instead for PI monsters for much more added damage than the PS synergy gets.

Now cold facets take down enemy resistance, making freeze time longer IIRC. I assume the difference will be unnoticable too in hell?

Sass

Diabloii.Net Member

If you want it for a quick freeze, you should just have it at base level and not synergize.

However, freezing the monsters is highly unnecessary. With your CoS + other thanks, they aren't such a big threat that they have to me frozen.

And leaving no corpses is a terrible thing. You need corpses. Without them, DS is useless, and it's your most important utility skill.

kardinaal

Diabloii.Net Member

Hmmm, I'm starting to see why people like the lighting one better in combination with DTail. Still, It's really nice to kick some monsters and not have to worry about them for a few seconds.

CoS tends to fail me when I really need it, because you can only cast it once. It helps in crowd control, but has its limitations.

Well, I've come too far to change my build now, so I'm gonna add the points in PS to synergise BoI for extra damage and leave DS as it is. I'm halfway nightmare atm and I don't need DS for extra killing speed really, DTail kills mobs on its own. I'm just looking for the best way to adress PI monsters as it seems this one will make it into hell at least. Never got that far since I returned a month ago.

onderduiker

Diabloii.Net Member

First, I know -%res works with Dragon Tail, so ice and fire facets should work in that sense. (see this thread). It also mentioned that the +%damage to fire skills doesn't work with Dragon Tail (which isn't a fire skill, doesn't get + to fire skills). But BoI is a cold skill. Any idea how facets +%damage work with BoI? Will it up the splash damage when I release?
I've just tested this and both -% Enemy Fire Resistance and +% Fire Skill Damage apply to Dragon Tail's fire damage, even though this isn't indicated by the character screen. Furthermore, Dragon Tail is classified as a Fire Skill and + Fire Skills increase its skill level.

-% Enemy Resistance applies to all the elemental damage charges, and +% Skill Damage is only applied as follows:

Code:
SKILL              CHARGE
                   1     2     3
---------------------------------
Fists of Fire      Yes   Yes   No
Claws of Thunder   Yes   No    No
Blades of Ice      Yes   Yes   -
Phoenix Strike     No    No    No
The third charge of Blades of Ice adds no damage, only freeze length. The difference in freeze length between one point and twenty points is 7.6 seconds (1.9 seconds in Hell) against Cold Resist 0%.

kardinaal

Diabloii.Net Member

Do you know where I can find the freeze duration formula? I want to know if the -cold res given by cold facets increases freeze duration by a noticable amount. Not that I expect much of it, but checking never hurts. Bored at work anyway ;) .

I'll check again what went wrong with the +fire skills. I must have made some kind of error there when testing with the hexfire. I switched out a strength sissors katar for it, probably not enough str to use the hexfire...

Last edited:

onderduiker

Diabloii.Net Member

The third charge of Blades of Ice applies base freeze length = 3.6+(0.4*level) seconds. More accurately, freeze length = 90+(10*level) frames (1 second is 25 frames). Freeze length is halved in Nightmare and quartered in Hell, rounding down to the nearest frame.

Cold Resist % decreases freeze length, and CR -% (from Lower Resist and Conviction) and -% Enemy Cold Resistance decrease CR %. This means that freeze length is multiplied by (100-(CR-LR-ECR))/100 against targets that aren't Immune to Cold. Reducing a target to the floor of CR -100% doubles base cold length.

Applying level 21 Blades of Ice (base 12 seconds or 300 frames) should result in the following freeze lengths against various CR %:

Code:
TARGET CR %   NORMAL    NIGHTMARE    HELL
-----------------------------------------
          0       12         6       3
         25        9         4.48    2.24
         50        6         3       1.48
         75        3         1.48    0.72
Applying -25% ECR as well should result in the following:

Code:
TARGET CR %   NORMAL    NIGHTMARE    HELL
-----------------------------------------
          0       15         7.48    3.72
         25       12         6       3
         50        9         4.48    2.24
         75        6         3       1.48
The improvement becomes more significant as the target's CR % increases: -25% ECR more than doubles freeze length against CR 75%. :)

Adding CR -% from LR or Conviction (or both) would have a more significant impact due to the larger values applied (CR -31-41% from level 1-3 LR charges, CR -85% from an Infinity 'BerMalBerIst' pole-arm's Level 12 Conviction Aura When Equipped).