Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question on enchantress build

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Elrynon, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Elrynon

Elrynon IncGamers Member

Question on enchantress build

Ok, I used the search function and basically found a bunch of random crap that really didn't answer my question. I'm making just a basic enchantress (max warmth, enchant, fire mastery) and I'm having trouble deciding between FO or FN. I'm not really gonna be using it as a main source of dam seeing as she's melee not a caster. But what I AM gonna be using it for is the chilling factor and for FI's. I plan on using a might merc not a HF so that's why I'm going for a chilling skill myself. The reason I'm pitting the two against each other is with FN it's a ring around me with a decent radius that hits INSTANTLY with the chill, with the FO it's cause I can have some range (throw a FO downwind run in and start swinging). Hence my problem. I know it more or less how I *feel* about playing but at the same time will also welcome advice from people who have already been down this path. Can't wait to see what everyone says. Thx

2. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

Re: Question on enchantress build

A 20 point Frost Nova is not damaging enough to deal with FIs (IMO), especially with your lower cast rate. If you pick a might merc and a reasonable weapon, your physical damage will probably be more helpful in that aspect.

Also, if you have some +skills and go FO you can still use FN for the chill in cases where FO isn't needed.

3. Gimmershred

Gimmershred IncGamers Member

I'd pick frozen orb. You will have the skillpoints left to get good damage out of that, A skillevel 17 cold mastery combined with a maxed orb is very easy to reach, with some skills from your gear to get that coldmastery at lvl 17. As hell is full of fire immunes you will want something to damage them next to your physical damage.

and where frost nova desires faster cast rate wich you probably don't have much, frozen orb is a timered spell.

Also take a look if your weapon holds any lightningdamage , a point in lightningmastery might be beneficial. And throw a point in static field off course.

4. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

I'd agree with the others.

If you want to kill with your cold spell, FO is it. If you just want crowd control, you could always use GlacialSpike.

I like FN as much as anyone, but I think it's one of those spells that you need to focus on to be worthwhile (read: it needs to be fully synergized, or nearly fully synergized).

5. Neksja

Neksja IncGamers Member

Max Ice Bolt and use Voice of Reason PB on switch? Just a thought, no idea would it work :grin:

6. prion

prion IncGamers Member

i had thought of that too. you would lose some AR and of course zeal skill

7. Elrynon

Elrynon IncGamers Member

Thx for the replies all. I'll more then likely go with the FO route as it will do a large amount of damage to deal with the FI's. (i was taking into consideration multi-immunes which is why I didn't really think of doing them in with physical damage)

And I had already planned on putting 1 pt at least into the cold/light masteries. So that's good to know that idea is confirmed.

I was also considering going the demon-limb route but after reading a few post I'm not big on that idea anymore because it seems the damage output would be minimal compared to hard skills into enchant.

I want to thank you all again for the advice and tips you've given. Hopefully I can make her worthwhile lol

8. Jaquiezz

Jaquiezz IncGamers Member

FO is much better in every respect than FN. Range, damage, chill, its just a better skill. You can cast it while running up, and while your spells are timered out, lay it on thick. FN requires you to be in the middle of the group, has a much smaller range and does pitiful damage.

Only one point in CM. Just one. Why? Because if you are using it for damage, then its against FI. Most FI's aren't going to have great cold resist anyway, so dumping 16 extra points in CM won't do much good. In fact, it only really helps against Meph... who you will be meleeing any way. One point boosted by +skills will be the best one point you spend, but you get little in return for extra points. I guess if you have absolutely nothing left to dump points into, feel free to put em here, but even then I think I would go with ice bolt.

9. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

Frozen Orb is a much, much, much, much better choice with only ~25 skillpoints available. Since we're discussing a "backup" skill, that is the primary factor, in this case. So, in this case, you're mostly correct (the chilling on FN is far superior, and for a melee sorc the range of FN would be superior too, in my experience <-- not in my opinion).

However, comparing them overall, it depends on how "specialized" you are. FYI, I've built a fully-decked-out FO sorc, and I've built a fully-decked-out FN sorc. For general PvM, there was no comparison: FN blew FO out of the water (except against act bosses, where FN admittedly sucks).

FYI, the range/area-of-effect is excellent on FN - very comparable to FO, except it requires a vastly different playstyle (FN is much more aggressive: telebomb/spam). FN doesn't have the same "sweet-spot" that Frozen Orb does (which is why FN sucks on bosses), but FN always hits ~30% of your screen for full damage... ~3 times per second.

From my experience, the damage performance actually supports FN too. The basics:
    Fully synergized Level35 Frozen Orb: ø690 per shard
    Fully synergized Level35 Frost Nova: ø727

Let's say you're running Pindle's pack (~8 monsters) with these numbers (Disclaimer: it's very hard to judge how many shards "hit" in one cast of FO, but if I recall correctly there's ~48 shards per Orb; so I think numbers in the next paragraph are reasonable.)

With Frozen Orb, the first time you cast it, the monsters are all packed closely together, so you're probably getting 1 or 2 that get hit by ~5 shards (~3500 damage), and the other ~6 monsters get hit by ~3 shards (2000 damage each). By the time you've cast FO a second time though, they've had a little more time to spread out, so you're only hitting 1 monster with the "sweetspot" (3500 damage), and averaging ~2 shards for the remaining monsters (1400 damage each). The third and fourth time will probably be enough to clean up the remaining monsters (with CM providing a nice boost to your damage)

Now, with FN, you teleport directly on top of the entire pack, and start spamming Frost Nova, always hittting the entire pack, but never having a "sweet spot" (so you do a consistent ~2150 damage per second). Comparing them at this point, it looks like FO has a slight advantage (mostly because of its "sweet spot").

However, there's one thing that FN can do that FO cannot: Force monsters into continuous hit-recovery. Because FN is a spammable spell, and because CM works at full-force every time you cast Frost Nova, it's actually possible to put monsters in hit recovery and keep them there. Consider the fact that they're chilled, and there's no way they'll come out of hit recovery and finish an attack before the ~8 frames has elapsed and you've hit them with another FN to reset their hit recovery. With FO, no matter how hard you hit a monster, if it survives it will always have time to recover and "adjust".

So with FN, you want to try hard to cause enough damage to force monsters into hit recovery. If you do this consistently, your FN sorc will be an absolute force of nature (from my experience, it's absolutely possible too).