Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question on Berserk

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by DrAcX, Apr 27, 2005.

1. DrAcX

DrAcX IncGamers Member

Question on Berserk

Hi, I'm a bit confused about the Berserk skill. Lots of ppl are giving me many different answers. I'm basically wondering exactly what it does.
    More specifically, I need some clarification on: "Magic Damage: +170 percent"
    I'm getting 2 main responses from ppl.
    1) The +170% Magic dmg increases any magic dmg you do by +170%. IOw, if you do NO magic dmg to begin with, you don't get a bonus here. So you have to be wearing something that says, for example, "+100-120 Magic dmg".
    2) The +170% Magic dmg converts ALL your dmg (phys, magic, elemental etc) to magic and then adds the +170% magic dmg to it.
    If the situation is like #1, does elemental dmg, such as +400 cold dmg, count as magic dmg?
    If the situation is like #2, does it mean you do ONLY magic dmg and NO phys or elemental or other forms of dmg in that attack? Would that mean no life leech?

Mabye the answer is neither of these or a mix of the 2 responses, i dunno... could some1 pls help me clear this up? :confused:

Thx :D

2. MoonUnit

MoonUnit IncGamers Member

I may be incorrect but from my experience..zerk converts all PHYSICAL damage to magic damage. I'm not sure if it converts elemental or poison tho.
    Hope that helps. Whoops forgot to add that since it has no physical damage component to it..you can't leech with zerk; just so you know. Also..your def is set to ZERO for a set duration.

3. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

The 170% Magic damage is enhanced off your physical damage...if you did 100 physical you'd do 270 magical damage. There's no physical damage component so no leech, but instead you get a good counter-attack when you're Iron Maiden'ed. I don't know whether poison/elemental damage from charms is carried over, but I'm guessing yes.

4. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

lol, might seem like im repeating what's just said, that i dont know if elemental damage transfers. But...

I dont have access to a computer with D2 now, but there is an easy way to check wether elemental damage transfers too.
    Just make sure you have a charm/item/whatever that for instance gives some cold damage. Then hit something. If it turns blue, the damage apparently isnt magic, since monsters still get cold.
    Firedamage applies as a small explosion on the monster, whereas lightning comes as a small sparking thing.
    Plain magic damage shouldnt cause any animation on the victim.

My common sense says that poison damage does not transfer.
    Else a barb with an inventory filled with 290's or some other duped charm would do 39*290 = 11310 psn damage. Normally, this damage is time based, but if converted to magic, it would be instant.
    Thus, I'd say at least poison damage is not carried over, but remains time based. This can also be checked the same way as above.

5. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

Wait, so it converts all physical damage to magic? I thought it worked like Vengeance and simply added a percent of damage on top of physical...

6. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

No, berserk is a full conversion of physical to magical. That's why it doesn't leech, and similarly why it's great against Iron Maiden.

-Hal

7. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Elemental/poison dmg is added to Berserk like normal, as only physical dmg is converted.

8. Immortal_Slayer

Immortal_Slayer IncGamers Member

What about Fantacism...Does that increase the physical damage that is to be turned into magic damage?? And the Might aura as well...Does that increase the physical damage before it is multiplied by Berserk into magic damage? Also, does the IAS from fantacism add to the swing speed?

-Slayer

9. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

10. Herald of Doom

Herald of Doom IncGamers Member

:lol:

Basically, you calculate the physical dmg you would normally do (aka, regular swing attack with phys dmg and ele dmg added on top of that), then convert ALL physical dmg you're doing to magical+170% (or whatever your berserk gives you), and add the ele on top of that :)

HoD

11. riplix

riplix IncGamers Member

another note: max dmg charms (max dmg items, too? not 100 sure) do not increase zerk dmg.

berzerk=THE barb skill :D

12. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

How do you mean? When I pick up a +2 max damage charm from my inventory, my berserk damage drops 22. Seems to be working fine.

-Hal

13. riplix

riplix IncGamers Member

my bad. sry for spreading wrong info. was a little bit off and my zerk damage was shown in XX k and of course nothing happend when i removed a MAX charm... ;)

14. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

Haha, no problem chief, people tend to forget about how those 5-digit damage ranges do that ;)

-Hal

15. rikstaker

rikstaker IncGamers Member

P.S;Another note:physical dmg is converted into magical after application of cs/ds,its in the last stage that elemental dmg is added.

Rik

16. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

Does +%damage to demons/undead increase magic damage as well?

17. rikstaker

rikstaker IncGamers Member

% dmg to demons/undead is just like anyother ed% from skill or offweapon.It gets applied to the weapon dmg(if the target is demon/undead) & for berzerk,the benefit is still reaped since the dmg is converted into magical at the very last stage after application of all ed% even from zerk & cs/ds.

Rik