Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question of COLD MF Sorc

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Someone14, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Someone14

Someone14 IncGamers Member

Question of COLD MF Sorc

I'm desperate! I have read many articles from these forums about COLD MF sorc, but still haven't found out which would be best build to run Mephi and Andy.

I want to make SAFE Mf sorc, who can kill Mephi (atleast NM) and HELL Andy safely. The main questions are:

1. Should I use ORB or BLIZZARD? (Tell me the skills that I have to MAX etc...)

2. Should aim for max block or high VIT (Im untwinked, started couple of days ago)

3. What merc is best for that kind of sorc?

The most important help would be, if you tell me exactly how many stat points I have to put to each skill.

Thanks in advance. :worship:

2. doubleOObubble

doubleOObubble IncGamers Member

You probably won't get more info here than what's presented in the billions of other thread like this, so I suggest you use the search again. You'll basically hear:

"Blizzard pwns cuz I can do 1337 moat trick on Meph!!!11!!"
    and
    "I use orb because it's fast and even faster than Blizzard *if* aimed right so the ball explosion occurs "within" the monster".

There are no factual advantages, only preferences. But, as I said, there are numerous instances of this thread, all with the same "verdict". So use the search button :)

Good luck!

3. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

Arguements for blizzard;
    More damage
    Bigger range on the damage
    Who needs ES when everything's frozen anyways (AKA Glacial Spike is a good synergy)
    Moat trick

Arguements for orb;
    The damage is just fine, you just need to learn to aim it.
    It's spammable compared to blizzard, if meph does move he's still going to be hit with multiple orbs regardless...not the case with blizzard.
    It allows for more flexability in the skills, as you only need orb + CM maxed to be doing damage comparable to blizzard+gs+CM. This flexability will allow for either safer teleportation, or a sorc that can kill LIs without a merc.
    It's a left click skill, meaning you can keep your teleport or static on right click without having to press a hotkey to switch back to your main skill.
    It can chill the screen before you start using it to take out monsters.

Arguements for max block;
    Moonlords
    Dolls
    Meph's ball
    Whistan's is laughable str, and by 80 is only around 140 dex to maintain your 75% block. That's about 70 more dex than a wizspike (gogo wiz vs occy debate!) which is only something like 140 hp. An extra 140 hp isn't likely as likely to save you from elemental as 75% block is to save you from any of the above listed scary things. I think Conner still has a whistan's listed for trade for 5pgems in the trading forum so it's not exactly a hard to come by item for a started from scratch character. Not this late into the ladder season anyways.
    You won't get some idiot posting
    should you decide to describe your death on these forums

Arguements for vita;
    You can't block gloams.
    It's easier to build with no equipment and almost as safe so long as you aren't trying to tele through lords to hell baal.

My opinions;
    I think I do a good job of demonstrating that I'm biased towards Orb+Block ^^
    I should however add that my newest orber died to the fun of a poorly timed fatal exception error o_O

As for stat/skill placement, pick your preferences, then go look at one of the other 139257235 exact listings.

4. Someone14

Thank you MoUsE_WiZ. That comparison between those skills cleared the things up. If I make ORB-sorcie, should I take some other mainskill (fireskill?) or should I take more shielding skills and warmth?

The main purpose of that sorc will be to make NM Mephiruns and Hell andyruns (maybe Hell Mephi when I have good enough items). So I wanna make good sorc for those runs :)

5. Stimm

Stimm IncGamers Member

Your best off just with one skill if her purpose is meph andy meph.

Max ice bolt
    Max frozen orb
    Max warmth
    Max telekenesis
    1 point in the followiing static , cold mastery , energy shield and all pre reqs for those skills. I like to get 1 point in shiver armor as well, gives me a margin of error when teleporting. With skill quests you can have that build "finished" at lvl 82. With subsequent points going to cold mastery and static if you feel the latter is lacking.

Youll find this is a great meph andy build but is a terrible levling solo build. Im also partial to max block. Upgraded Visc defender is a great shield if you go that route, very comprable to whistans but you get a +1. Good luck

6. doubleOObubble

"Max ice bolt
    Max frozen orb
    Max warmth
    Max telekenesis
    1 point in the followiing static , cold mastery..."

But this is FAR off. In 1.10, CM brings enemy restistance below 0 (as opposed to 1.09). This makes for an effective 5% more damage/CM point instead of 2% from Ice Bolt. There is really no reason at all to pump Ice bolt instead of CM. CM >> Ice bolt for an Orber. It was different in 1.09, when you couldn't get the monster's res blow 0 with CM, but that has changed.

Nothing to argue. CM should be maxed before Ice Bolt.

7. CoonerTheRed

CoonerTheRed IncGamers Member

woah, that's off...

the actual allocation depends upon your gear- if you're just starting out you don't have enough +skills most likely to leave static at base... after +skills you want about 10 in static (IMO).

so, max orb/cold mast/tk

then it's enough in static to have decent range with +skills, at least 1 in eshield (1 is usually enough even with just a few +skills) and then warmth lastly ice bolt

8. Stimm

Stimm IncGamers Member

Well i should have added i always had an abundance of + skills so lvl 1 cm wound up being lvl 7 or 8. I went both routes on my previous sorcs. Maxing cm before bolt and then bolt before mastery and it seems that i was more effective doing ice bolt. But to each is own i guess.

9. Sip

Sip Banned

I just made an all cold sorc with:

Max Frost Orb
    Max Glacial Spike
    Max Frost bolt
    Max Cold mastery

The glacial spike is over 1,000 damage and the orb damage is like 550.

I have over 350% mf with: 30 nagel, 36 travs, frosties, topaz'd perfect vipermagi, topazed shako, wizardspike, gerkes with Eld rune, T-gods, 120 mana/10%fcr ring and a +3 cold skill amulet. I got Gull and rhyme grim on switch. I have 75% block and about 1k life and Mana. I can really farm meph with this build.

I can still do "teh leet moat trick" using glacial spike (gogogo 90% fcr).

10. CoonerTheRed

CoonerTheRed IncGamers Member

i'm not gonna do it, cause it's been posted before, but unless you're staying in norm or only doing monsters with little cold res, maxing cold mastery does more damage than max ice bolt. i mean, do it how you want, but the math says go go mastery.

also, while i'm sure that your build works for you, sip, i wouldn't trust just 1k life with no mana return on my eshield (from tk) especially without your nice gear... but it depends upon your play style- i tend to get closer than i should, so the better eshield or life, the more likely i am to live when i do something dumb.

11. doubleOObubble

Yeah, that's right, Cooner explained why CM isn't >> Ice Bolt *always* a while back. However, barring a few (stated by Cooner above) areas, CM *is* effectively 3% more dam than Ice bolt. So, if to each his own mean "I want to make a crappier sorc because the game is too easy!" then by all means - to each his own!

12. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

Ok, since people are obsessed with silly builds...
    1 Static
    20 telekinis
    20 orb
    ~10 ES
    ~10 warmth
    20 CM

In an order resembling that. You don't need the CM until you hit hell, so get your safety crap pumped up first. Maxing the CM last will allow you to safely level up and MF in solo NM baals while building your item base. After you've got the CM maxed go back to either warmth or ES, depending on your mana troubles. Don't plan on leaving NM until you've either found or traded for a wizzy, because it will give you a good mana boost and resists and all sorts of other fun stuff like that which likely won't be available to you from other equipment if starting untwinked.

One point in static is enough, so long as the only monsters you plan on staticing are bosses. Bosses don't really do enough damage to warrant not being able to tank them long enough to static.

With just orb and a decent merc you will be able to do NM Baal/Meph, Hell Andy/Meph solo, so don't worry about a fire or lightning skill, since your intention is to MF.

One point on the max block issue;
    It's possible to switch to the max block AFTER getting yourself a whistan's, IE if you find something in normal baals to trade for it you can ditch the vita route and start pumping dex so long as you find it somewhere around the 35-45 range.

13. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Blizz/Glacial combo is the safest sorc I have ever had coupled with her lvl 17 Telek and 1 ES.

Wizzy/Whitstans, get those two and go Max Block if you can, and SCREW MF %, if you have to wear tons of life gear at first until you find better stuff like more charms for life.

I garuntee you Meph with drop good items in time with no MF, but he wont DROP YOU if you are maxed out as much as possible in life and rez.......get more MF, less rez, less life and he will drop you!

14. Someone14

So how much is enough str / dex, lets say for lvl 70-80 mf-sorc? How much life does lvl 80 max block (whistans) sorc have without items? So you really suggest going for max block? Is there any other shield that I should take into account? How about energy, how much is enough if I'm untwinked.

15. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

I suggest as little Str/Dex as you can.

It is very possible to get your "max Block" late with items you find in NM so dont go pumping dex early. Lvl 20 or 24 you could use a Shard and that takes a littl Dex but you cant use a Wizzy til much later and you need 70 Dex for that.

I personally wouldnt go for Max block with any shield except Whitstans for a number of reasons, one is it takes like 2/3 the dex compared to any other shield, low strenght req and is easy to get for a few gems usually. It also has a speedy block. With is and a Diamond and a Wizzy in NM you wont have resist issues!

If you start off with nothing and try pumping dex for later you will simply end up dead soon. If you plan for a Wizzy at lvl 60+ then you can wait until you get one or wait until lvl 50 before adding any dex beyond what is needed along the way.

Dont put anything in Energy! Use Gems and runes for Energy. A couple TIRs for Mana/kill does a lot of good, and a 3 socket 3 saph Helm or even 2 socket will do a lot for energy and just DRINK THE POTS and be happy until you find better gear. If you add to energy you will only lower your vita and you dont want to do that. Even if your stash is full of mana charms and life early do that before adding even one sigle point to Energy.

After your 70 Dex at lvl 60 or so for Wizzy dont add to Dex, you can pump it every lvl after 70-75 and be 120 without gear at lvl 80-85 (easily attained) then hope to add the remaining dex with items like Waterwalks (ask for low end ones you might get for Gems), Tals Belt is a Beig Dex Number, or use some crafting, or magical rings with big dex numbers, maybe Mana.

Look at your sorc as a NM Mfer only, build for NM, and simply just "get thru Hell" with a party and be the smart caster and dont tele around like a fool and you will be fine. Use a 3 socket 3 Diamond shield for Hell if you need and as long as you dont tele aorund you wont ned max Block.

Dont let people push you into teleing when you know damn good and well you shouldnt

16. Someone14

How about those armors?! Should I take chilling or shiver armor? How many points? :p

17. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

One point in Shiver (the second one down) can be pretty useful at times, especially with a cold-only Sorc that aims for lots of +cold skills. Don't get that last one that shoots out ice bolts, it suxxors teh dixxors.

18. 0takuPryd3

0takuPryd3 Banned

Use FO. Then you can level teleport and never have to drink potions while rushing.

19. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

I use one in Shiver, boost Da bit its worth it. i also use Defiance Merc, IMO its the best choice for a cold sorc as you already chill most things. HF isnt a bad choice and if ya want you can go Might and load him up with MF and let him get the last kill for excellent safety and get a new Merc later when you get better items.

There are many ways to go about this!

20. Dirty Don

Dirty Don IncGamers Member

There is some good Sorc gides in the Sorc forum. they are stickied. The only thing you really need to change is add ES and Shiver Armor. The Sorc I'm beginning will be a CL/Orb sorc. Max Block, hoping to get to +1K life, +1K Mana with decent resistes.

Also, you NEED to max CM to do decent dmg with Orbs. It caps at 27 (or so I hear) and with 8-10 in CM + 10-11 plus skill mods will have you killing in fine style.