Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question: LLD - Impale or Jab?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by mali, Oct 30, 2006.

1. mali

mali IncGamers Member

Question: LLD - Impale or Jab?

Wondering if Impale is a good skill to use in PvP... planning a L32 Zon - so, Impale or Jab?

Cheers

m

2. MysticDragon

MysticDragon IncGamers Member

Impale is very, very bad. It is extremely slow. Go with Jab or another skill.

3. mali

mali IncGamers Member

O...
    lol... Jab? How would that go for a L32? Was thinking that using The Impaler and stacking IAS would make a nice LLDer... so - no...

What should I do? Or should I bail on an LLDer Javzon altogether?

4. sirmessbu

sirmessbu IncGamers Member

lld stops at lv30 .

Jab can be very deadly with the right gear at lld.

5. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

The definition of a LLD depends on your realm/hc/sc.

Definitely don't go impale, as was said before, too slow. Jab is viable, as is charged strike.

6. mali

mali IncGamers Member

lol... LLD stops at 30 because... ?
    I have seen PLENTY of L30+ in supposedly 'LLD' games... hell... I see plenty of 80+ in LLD games!

Ok, I guess I shoulda been more specific:
    My plan was to utilize the insanely high damage that Impale can obtain, using The Impaler (+5 to impale).
    Base it around the following items...
    * Skins of the Vipermagi
    * Death Sash & Gloves
    * Rockstopper
    * Angelic rings/ammy
    * Waterwalks
    * String of Ears
    * crafted IAS/Knockback gloves

... said plan was to involve MASSIVE amounts of damage (yes, slowly applied), Ignore Target Def (how does this work in PvP?), lotsa AR, and a good dose of speed... I would only need a max of 47 str, and 25 Dex - the rest in Vit.
    Could it work? Or even shaeling the Impaler (a fast weapon anyway), stacking IAS jewels in helm & armor, 20%IAS gloves... STILL too slow? And is the chance to lose durability gonna kill me?

Thoughts!?

7. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

If you're going to be a smart-arse about it why did you even bother asking? It doesn't matter what you do, Jab is better than Impale. But don't listen to anyone here, even though it was you that asked the question in the first place. Have fun getting your ponytail handed to you by all the lvl 9s (with better equipment than what you plan... if you're going for DR why havn't you included Rockfleece in your setup?) that are going to own you.

8. ToThePoint

ToThePoint IncGamers Member

jab > impale
    jabzons one of the better lvl 9 builds and decent at other levels especially when complemented by bow skills
    no contest

9. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

It's still too slow, not to mention its highly unlikely you'll be putting enough damage enough to 1hit anyone even if you do land your 1 hit every 2 seconds.

You can try it out, best of luck to you, lots of style points for a rare build, but its not going to work out as well as it seems on paper.

If you do give it a go, some possible gear might be (off the top of my head without knowin applicable breakpoints)

Eth honor Lance (high req's, but I think you're going to really need the damage)
    Twitch (ias'd or max'd)
    Sanders boots
    Deaths belt+gloves
    Angelic jewelry
    45 max hat or peasent crown (max'd or IAS)
    Loads of standard life and/or dmg charms, as per usual.

Of course, use common sense and find out and reach the needed breakpoints and change your gear accordingly (IE if you need IAS jewels in your gear, and therefor need to go to level 31, consider a rockstopper, if you go to 32, use waterwalks etc)

Again, its NOT going to be a very effective build, but props for the originality.

-Matt

10. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Member

lld is MAX 30 on any realm. on europe i belive they deem 29 as the max but still no where is 31 or greater lld. the people that you see in lld games that are > 30 are either noobs or are idiots who want to 'own' a llder.

dont use a shield and my lvl 18 zealot will kill you.

11. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

VLLD Jabbers (lvl 9) can be pretty impressive, but generally the higher lvl you go with a Jabber the less effective she becomes. I'd either do lvl 9 with an eth imbued Throwing Spear, lvl 18 with an eth imbued War Jav, or lvl 25/26 with an eth imbued Harpoon / Ceremonial Jav. Whatever you choose, you'll have to burn a lot of imbue quests until you get lucky.

Impale, however, is not effective at any lvl, unless your opponent's strategy is to stand in one place without ever attacking until they die.

12. Sokar Rostau

Last I checked you can't imbue eth items. It's been a while though...

13. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

Check again...

14. crawlingdeadman

cant imbue socketed items. eth and sup are okay.

15. Sokar Rostau

You know, come to think of it, I don't think I've imbued more than a couple of Diadems since .09...

16. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

Acually, as I said before, it varies. On hardcore on any realm, there are no restrictions, you build at whatever level you want to and see who duels you. In my opinion, the restrictions are pretty stupid on any realm to be applied as "the way it is". If you want to play by, for example, lld101 rules, which say level 30 is the cap, then great. All that means is really that, when playing with lld101ers, or in a lld101 tournament, you cant go above level 30. To then apply any such standard to ALL llders is ridiculous. If I want to make a level 35, I'll make a level 35, I dont particularly care what you call it (low or mid), but dont try and tell me I cant participate in a public low level dueling game with any reasonably low character. Of course, bringing a level 75 into a low level duel game is ridiculous, as a level 75 is clearly a high level dueler.

What I'm trying to say is that its an arbitrary cutoff, and it seems pretty silly to me to say 30 is a lld, but dont you dare make a 31, because thats NOT a llder!

Of course your level 18 zealot will kill it, it'll kill an impalazon whether she uses a shield or not. I'd go with the big 2h stick on the off chance your dodge/evade/avoid keep you alive long enough to possibly poke someone with it and see what happens. With a shield, you'll survive a little longer, yes, but considering how god-awfully slow impale is, thats probably not more than 1 more hit (if you're lucky), which, with nearly any 1h impale weapon is NOT going to kill anyone. At least if you land an impale with an eth honor lance, you might manage to kill someone with it.

-Matt

17. crawlingdeadman

settle down. i duel pubby games all the time i have no trouble with higher levels in a duel game it's stupid to compare 42 builds with 30 builds though. the power level of casters specifically jumps at that level b/c of skillers. another jump occurs at 49 when facets come into play.

if you dont cut it off somewhere there is no "low" dueling. 30 is a good cap. every class has the ability at 30 to use all of it's skills. there's a good selection of gear available. lld101 does a decent job of making the field more level in my opinion. they cap specific builds at lower levels.

this isnt a discusion about lld. i make higher level duelers, i like them but i dont run around calling them lld just like i wouldnt call a lvl ** mld.

18. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

Nothing personal, but I dont buy the argument that nothing over 30 is LLD. To me, LLD is an open ended term. I couldnt agree more that comparing a 30 to a 42 is ridiculous, likewise, a 49 to a 42. However, I would hardly call a 31 a mid level dueler, because the VAST majority of mid level duelers are going to be 42+ casters, a boatload of barbs using Oaths, etc etc. IMO, the relatively small number of increases in items (30% ed jewels, shaft, ribcracker, headstriker, moderately better charms, waterwalks etc) found in the 30's makes duelers in their 30's MUCH more comperable to sub-30 duelers than it does going the other way, into the 40s and 50's with mid level duelers using the likes of Oath, HoZ, Skillers, Facets, 'jewelers' items, 40%ed jewels, etc.

Again, its subjective, and each to his own, but saying, for example, "the people that you see in lld games that are > 30 are either noobs or are idiots who want to 'own' a llder", as you did in your original post is just begging a response from those of us who don't play by those same guidelines :thumbsup:

Again, nothing personal, I'm not trying to start an argument, just stating why I dont see much value in the guidelines many LLDers seem to go by. I suppose on the SC realms, where most everyone does seem to abide by those rules, they hold a tad more value, if for no other reason, because a 30's dueler likely wont find nearly as many challengers, but its not like that across the board.

-Matt

19. crawlingdeadman

okay i'll rephrase it then..95% of the >30's in a lld game etc etc. i have little to no experience with around 30's melee as i havent made one yet, but there is a huge thing that occors at 31, ias jewels. there's also some good uniques and a couple set pieces that are available then. my first lvl 30 melee will most likely be a 31 kick sin since they get ik boots at that point. from what i understand they still wont be able to kill a good concer, ww barb or zealot but they still look like fun.

as you said to each his own and i appologize for any misunderstanding.

20. mali

mali IncGamers Member

Geez dude... I hope English is a second language for you, because other than that, you have no excuse for the needless aggression. All I said was 'LLD stops at 30 because... ?', and then you come in with the oh-so-arrogant-holier-than-thou flaming. Generally reactions like yours are why folks don't post much here at all. Heaps read, but very, very few actually post.
    Gee, I wonder why?:flowers: