Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question: Insight and Spirit...

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Baaja, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Baaja

Baaja IncGamers Member

Question: Insight and Spirit...

Hey fellas, I just started with D2 again and I have just leveled my sorc to like 60 I think :) But I have a few questions, I was thinking of using the known Insight, the question is...in what polearm should I make the runeword? And then, I want to have a Spirit as a shield...what are the pros and cons of that? And what should I maybe wait for too upgrade that certain shield with? And ofcourse in what should I socket it in? And how about full block? How much dex is needed then? Haha..So many questions I know:)

2. zarirazz

zarirazz IncGamers Member

for insight, if the mana regen is your focus, any 4os polearm will do. but since insight has decent ed, it's preferably made it in ethereal elite polearms (cv, thresher, gtresher, cryptic axe, gpa) so that your merc has a decent poke stick as well.

for spirit;

pros:
    +2skills
    +mana
    +vita
    +resists
    +lots of fhr
    +fcr
    (basically, almost all mods in the runeword isn't wasted)

cons:
    high requirements (156 for monarch)
    not viable to achieve max block

i'm pretty sure there are more..

3. Baaja

Baaja IncGamers Member

Re: Question: Insight and Spirit...

Well should I just not put in in a monarch? or just something else then because the strenght + dex isn't viable..well hell not even the strenght! I don't wanna stack a lot of +str charms for a shield! Or is there some other shield that is quite as cheap but still good and viable?

4. BlackWinterDay

BlackWinterDay IncGamers Member

The only non-paladin shields that can get 4 sockets are Monarch (156 str), Aegis (219 str) and Ward (185 str).

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/elite/shields.shtml

Since you are not a Paladin, Monarch is the only reasonable choice to make Spirit in. There are no Normal or Exceptional alternatives. Spirit is an excellent choice, as long as you can accept going for max-Vitality as opposed to max-Block.

5. Denbo

Denbo IncGamers Member

The Str for Monarch isn't that bad. It also allows you to wear war Travellers as boots for a ton of MF!

6. Hello Jim

Hello Jim IncGamers Member

Dude, WT has a STR req of less than 100. Which leaves you with ~60 extra points in STR. So the WT reason is kinda lame.

Anyway, the pros of Spirit? Use it.
    Unless you're Melee/HC. And you're not, so see line above:)

7. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

Most of the time I prefer a Spirit shield - it's often worth the points you need to spend in strength, especially because a lot of its benefits can't be matched by any other option.

But to list some other alternatives, here you go: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5877158&postcount=3. Most of those should be reasonably comparable to a Spirit in price (some are cheaper, some are more expensive, but none are really that prohibitive; Sactuary's probably the most expensive of the bunch, but I don't keep up with the economy much these days).

8. dryzalizer

dryzalizer IncGamers Member

A Spirit monarch is absolutely worth the strength required to use it...even if you only play SP like me. If you play on ladder and can get an anni and torch w/good stats, that takes care of most of it. Also rings and amulets can help, along with the aforementioned War Travs and even Mara's +5 to all skills. My Tal's Set meteorb sorc is max vita (ignore dex), and has plenty of life with Call to Arms on switch. If you go this route, you won't even need Insight and can save up to give your merc Infinity. I realize this is getting expensive, just giving you something to shoot for ;)

9. Denbo

Denbo IncGamers Member

WT requires 95 Str to use, but adds 10 to it so your at 105, which I think most MF sorc use. at least I did. And if your pumping that much Str in, you might as well go all the way

10. Hello Jim

Hello Jim IncGamers Member

Adding another 50 is almost like doubling the amout of STR you've invested so far.
    But I agree- Monarch is worth the points, especially if you're already going for WT (And not going for Splendor and some rare boots for no STR points).

11. zallus

zallus IncGamers Member

Look Sorc's really don't get that much life to start with.

You are probably looking at the difference of 150 life max before BO. Just put the points into str and you will never regret using a Spirit Monarch.

Like others said there are lots of ways to get that much str without using a bunch of charms and putting in hard points.

Get a couple of FCR% rings w/ str. A rare ammy with str will be nice also.

The difference between a sorc with 800 life and 1000 life is negligable at best. Escpecially if neither have BO or max block.

12. SaWuttae

SaWuttae IncGamers Member

So why don't people go full block with spirit? I did it with my last sorc, and am doing it this ladder season. No problem running keys, andy, meph, pindle, baal...

Wearing full tal's set, spirit monarch, magefist, nagelring, rare ring and rare boots with mostly resists (no + life or dex), I am sitting at 316 dex for 74% CTB (was 75% when i had my torch), and 42 vit, and my life total is 565. That is without charms.

Blocking is a bit slow, but just keep casting!

Seems to me that people constantly say a few hundred life points doesn't matter, and it doesn't really in hell, what's the difference between 550 and the 1200 or so you might hit with full vit compared to 75% block?

13. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

There are actually people going for full block with Spirit. I always found investing all that dexterity to get full block with Spirit far too. Maybe going this way might not be optimal for a starting character without gear though.

Like sirpoopsalot mentioned there are quite some and here is a list of some more useful shields. Actually the whole thread where this post is from has a huge list of good and cheap gear that can be useful in the new ladder.

14. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

the pros of monarch: sorcs don't need dex or energy so you might as well pump base strength to 150+