Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question in relation to the single player forum and trading. der=0

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by diablo loves donutz, Sep 5, 2006.

1. diablo loves donutz

diablo loves donutz IncGamers Member

Question in relation to the single player forum and trading.

Hiya guys, I'm sure you've all seen my introductory thread and I appreciate all of those who took the time to read it. Well my question is this, can someone, briefly if possible, explain to me the trading and how it works with the sp forums. Just to let everyone know, I've done tons of trading on the US East Bnet forums, but thats in the past now. Also, I did read the entire sticky that cattle made about all the rules and such on the trade forums. I just want to hear your guys feedback on the situation and to make sure I've gotten the jist of it. It still appears a little hazey to me, not to mention I'm afraid to post asking for one specific item because everyone seems to have long ft lists, and I'm also a little hesitant by the fact that unlike the regular trade forums where someone's thread might get a few posts, each person's threads on the sp trade forums seems to be flooded with posts and I'm afraid to even bother to look at it based on the fact that since there are 80 other posts the odds of me trading something are slim to none. I just want to know if someone can relate, that's all. Thnaks again guys.

-Donutz

2. nex

nex IncGamers Member

You don't won't us to just copy&paste trading rules, do you? :smiley: So, it would help if you could specify what is confusing and what needs explanation. Don't be afraid to ask, but please, tell us what would you like to know :smiley:

3. macalan

macalan IncGamers Member

I just started trading a few weeks ago, and felt the same about it beforehand. Start small. It'll be fine.

4. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

I do not trade, so I'm not in a position to comment on the specifics of trading. However, I've been around long enough to warn you about a few risks of trading.

The main reason I do not trade is that prefer to find my own items. I derive no satisfaction from bartering my 2x SoJ for a Windforce. it just doesn't feel like I found it myself, which is of course the case. But if that does not bother you, then go ahead and trade.

Now, I mentioned to you before about vanilla and modded players (i.e. RWM/RRM). I also mentioned about taint. Taint is when items/chars of modded players interact with vanilla items/chars. Strict vanilla players do not want to trade or MP with modded players.

So if you are planning to play vanilla and want to maintain your vanilla status, interaction with modded items/chars is off-limits to you. This is based on the feeling of some vanilla players that RWM/RRM should not be applied in SP.

If you don't mind, then go and trade with modded players, but you will henceforth be tainted. You will still be a vanilla player, but you are tainted, and for all intents and purposes, strict vanilla players will treat you as if you were a modded player, i.e. will not trade or MP with you.

If you decide to use RWM/RRM, then you will be modded in any case. Strict vanilla players will not trade/MP with you, but tainted vanilla players will have no problems with you.

Oh, and trading is carried out using ATMA, the same way I sent you that Metalgrid. If you want to send someone an item, you create a stash (.d2x), upload it via email, and send it as an attachment to their email address.

EDIT1: Oops, how could I forget the most important risk of trading? Dupes and Hacks. SPFT is based on trust. If someone is found out to have hacked or duped, and you traded items with that person beforehand, you risk tainting your stash(es) and char(s). The repercussions can be something as mild as deleting just the hacked/duped items, to something extreme like deleting entire stashes and high level chars. A major reason I do not trade.

Good practice would be to only trade with people who have a trustworthy reputation, and to quarantine items for a set period of time in case you find out later that those item may be illegit. Even then, there is no 100% guarantee that you will avoid being tainted. That is a risk you have to take when trading in the SPTF.

Why bother if you get tainted? Because others will not trade with you, just on the basis that you have been traded illegit items, even though those items were not yours to start with.

EDIT2: I should make the distinction between 'modded-taint' and 'hack/dupe-taint'. The former is no biggie (only a problem for strict vanillas). The latter can me a major disaster.

5. diablo loves donutz

diablo loves donutz IncGamers Member

Thank you guys for all your help, I appreciate it alot. Yea, coming from my standpoint, I would like to remain strictly vanilla, and not to mention, it appears that a LOT of the trading on the SPTF is with RWM/RRM players. I was just planning on possibly using it to get a few things, but more than likely, I will take your advice and try to self find/mf all of my own gear to make the experience more enjoyable, that...that and the stuff you give away :)

6. nepeta

nepeta IncGamers Member

There still are vanilla traders, me for one :) Stick around and get your feel for things and ladeeda, everything 'll be alright.