Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

question for you lore junkies..

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by glenthemann, Jul 4, 2008.

1. glenthemann

glenthemann IncGamers Member

question for you lore junkies..

I personally love the whole diablo lore and the story line, but there are two main questions I have that I cant seem to answer:

1) How did the wanderer/diablo and Marius get into the tomb where Baal was bound within Tal Rasha? In the game we have to go to all this trouble of finding making the horadric staff to gain entry into the chamber, and when we do use the staff it breaks a 'hole' in the wall which clearly wasnt there before. In the cinematic we have Marius and Diablo get to a "great room" where we see Diablo starting to really convert the wanderer into his (diablo's) true form, and then in the next flash, they are in the chamber where Baal has been bound. How?

2) How, after Diablo reunites with Baal, do they go and reunite with Mephisto? As far as I know the compelling orb is what keeps Mephisto locked in his lair, and its also what Mephisto used to corrupt the zakarum. We are told that only Khalims will can break the compelling orb and allow us entry into this area, and that that is the only way. Yet Diablo and Baal seem to easily waltz in there and meet up with their brother. Another question that relates to this is, if mephisto corrupted the compelling orb and subsequently all of the zakarum, then why didnt he just get them to destroy the compelling orb, thus releasing him? He obviously had the power to get them to slay and dismember Khalim, so shodulnt that have easily been within his grasp?

As I said I love the story, but these things stick out like a sore thumb to me and I am hoping someone here can answer them for me :bigthumb:

also: it is stated that we destroyed the soul stones of all three; is it implied that we destroy the soulstones of Diablo and Baal (because we dont in the game), and if that were possible then why didnt the Horadrim just do that in the first place?

Thanks in advance!

2. devildriver

devildriver IncGamers Member

Re: question for you lore junkies..

They had waypoints duh

na seriously i dont know. :(

3. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

RoseBud!
    Famous word from Citizan Kane but pokes a hole you could drive a truck through the plot with...

happens...

4. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

I got some time, so I'll bite :whistling:

I'd say the same way Tyrael and Duriel got in there. Cain does indeed say that the Horadric Mages magically sealed the tomb of Tal Rasha, as well as mention that the place was forever closed from the mortal realm, so I see two possibilities:

1) Diablo, Tyreal, Marius and Duriel gained access via a method other than the mortal realm

2) Cain mentions "Those same Mages also crafted fearsome Horadric Staves and imbued them with the special power to open the Chamber's hidden door" which would imply multiple staves. The heroes only acquired one, and with the Summoner (along with Horazon's lore) on their side it's possible Diablo was able to acquire another. Drogon does mention that Horazon kept a close eye on the surrounding events, including the imprisonment of Baal, and that his journal would have the information on the true tomb. Of course, Diablo wouldn't have had a cube to merge a staff if he had one....

The compelling orb is the thing keeping Mephisto locked in, but that doesn't mean it's stopping anything else from entering (the quest dialogue mention that that it's a prison designed to contain Mephisto, and nothing about it keeping everything else out). Mephisto corrupted the orb yes, but he probably has the means to allow others in. It stands to reason that the council were originally able to enter the prison (3 of them are still down there with Meph). Likewise, Meph probably can also use it to keep those that he doesn't want out (such as the heroes), which leads into the next point..

The reason why the compelling orb wasn't destroyed is because it can only be done so with Khalim's Will (or potentially a powerful artifact). The council members couldn't create this item because not only do they not have a Horadric Cube, but they I doubt even knew of Khalim's Will, since it was Cain who originally told you the information, and he's the last Horadrim.

They didn't have access to the hellforge. I mean, we had to fight our way down there to begin with.

Edit: To expand on the last point, the forces of Heaven had originally tried to launch an assault on the hellforge (along with Izual and presumable Hadriel), but failed.

5. Painman

Painman IncGamers Member

Travincal Council DOES possess a Horadric Cube, under certain circumstances. ;)

Khalim was a High Priest of Zakarum like Toorc, etc., and it was presumably them who dismembered him and scattered his bits and pieces across Kurast for his non-compliance with Mephisto's will. Mephisto's soulstone was broken into 7 pieces and Toorc, Ismail, Geleb, Bremm, Wyand and Maffer each had a shard driven through their left palms. the Que-Hegan had the 7th and largest shard driven through his left palm, and it was he who was possessed by Mephisto.

These guys knew exactly who Khalim was, and what became of him... though it stands to reason that they'd wish such knowledge to become lost to history (but here comes Deckard Cain).

6. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

True indeed, though Blizzard could have just thrown that in to save the player time ;)

They did indeed know who Khalim was, but I don't think the mere act of dismembering him was sufficient to provide the flail with the ability to break the orb. It was more-so related to him being uncorruptable by Mephisto, and the other council members probably didn't know that it was this trait that enabled the very weapon that the council members in Travincial had to break open the orb. In other words, they hated Khalim, but potentially didn't know he held the power to break the orb (or probably thought he did when alive, tried to get him to do so but failed, so killed him instead).

Of course, there's always the "pure of heart" theory as well :whistling:

7. Painman

Painman IncGamers Member

Yeah.

It's always fun to dissect canon and lore, but in the end, the fan must always carry a scepter with +5 to Suspension of Disbelief and +3 to Continuation of Plot. ;)