Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

question for SPF on item IDs

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by YomoKimyata, Mar 19, 2004.

1. YomoKimyata

YomoKimyata IncGamers Member

question for SPF on item IDs

hi all, I play on the realms and I have a question that I think you ATMA users can answer for me pretty quickly.

Here is the basic premise, when trading on the realms for runes, especially high runes, some of them are going to be duped, and Blizzard has (thankfully) set up an ID scan to eliminate duplicate IDs for runes (and other items. there is no way for me to know if I am trading for a legit rune or a duped rune, especially since that rune may have passed through dozens of hands before coming to me. I, of course, would hate to trade for a duped rune, and I would hate to have it disappear on me once I used it.

My question is this: when putting a rune in an item (say a Zod rune in an ethereal item) does this result in a single item with 2 IDs or a single item with 1 ID? If the former, then I am best off never trading for a rune unless I am 100% convinced it is legit.

A follow up question is: when you make a runeword in an item, does the runeworded item have a single ID or multiple IDs?

thanks, yomo

2. farting bob

farting bob Banned

each item, socketed or not, has 1 fingerprint (ID). when you have a rune in a item, the item gets a totally new Id i belive, it does not just have the 2 from each item.

3. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

As far as I know the item in the socket is stored completely... so you'd have the base item (with its own ID) and the items in the sockets (with IDs if they exist). Of course since I don't know what Blizzard are doing on the Realms this isn't 100% certain, but it's what should happen.

4. YomoKimyata

well, what happens to the fingerprint of an item once you put something in a socket -- does it change?

5. Hakai_no_Tenshi

Hakai_no_Tenshi IncGamers Member

1) Adding a gem/rune/jewel to a socketed item does not change the id of the socketed item
    2) Any rune/jewel used in such a fashion still retains it's id
    3) A "new" item is not created when you socket an item. The data for the gem/rune/jewel is read from the data stream immediately after reading the data for the socketed item. If you manipulate the data stream, it is possible to "socket" a piece of armor with anything else e.g a potion. Of course, the sanity checks built into the system will trap this and probably delete the item.
    4) I do not know how Bnet does it's dupe-checking but if it only checks the id of the socketed item, then socketed gems/runes/jewels are safe. If it also checks the runes/jewels, then it will delete those too.

--T

6. TekkaZeroX

TekkaZeroX IncGamers Member

I thank you for that insightful information, Hakai. What would we do without you? :worship:

**thinks about it, but gets a quick shudder of fear**

7. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Gems and runes are simple items Hakai, they can't be checked on fingerprints. Only if the dupers would manage to change the version bits, then it could be detected.

8. ShriekingWillow

ShriekingWillow IncGamers Member

I can't see there being any point to dupe-checking runes as it would be too easily bypassed. Just dupe two Chams and cube a Zod with them and the new Zod would be perfectly legit with it's own ID.

I would assume this is why runes don't have fingerprints.

9. YomoKimyata

from my understanding, this is what the "smart" dupers did. But regardless I read posts everyday of runes "poofing" on the realms and I was just hoping I could minimize the chances of this happening for anything I trade for.

Oh well, maybe I need to go back to the full pleasures of SP! (I played that for a long time but joined the realms because i needed a trading fix. Now that Atma is around, maybe I have no reason to come back...)

10. Hakai_no_Tenshi

Hakai_no_Tenshi IncGamers Member

You forget about the 96 bit GUID that came with runes in 1.10s. This was disabled in 1.10 final (SP) but I reckon it was left active on Bnet. This would explain how they can detect duped runes. While gems and runes are treated as simple items in SP, runes may not be so simple on Bnet.

--T

11. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

I always forget something... thanks for correcting me.

12. chiam_ace

chiam_ace IncGamers Member

All hail Hakai.