Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question for People with Question About Female in Gaming i

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by razen, Jul 3, 2008.

1. razen

razen IncGamers Member

Question for People with Question About Female in Gaming

In no particular response to any particular thread... *cough *cough...

Every once in two months or so, someone would have the urge to recycle the topic of why/what/how/when/where girls get into gaming. You see, the truth is... this might have been true 10 years ago when the stereotype created by mass media is that females just aren't good with electronics. I think the feminist movement has squashed all of that rumors. Some of the best computer programmers that I know are girls. Some of the best gamers I know are girls.

So honestly, where are those questions coming from?

Can girls not play video games? Do you honestly believe that 15 million potential customer for Diablo 3, and none of it would involve the other equal half? "Oh my god, a girl knows about Diablo? Just like 15 million other people? How did that happen?"

I think if they ever do an official study, girls probably love violence, blood, and gore just as much as man. Yes, some girls will only play video games like Moo Moo Happy Farm. But just like man, woman also have the inherint desire for thrills.

Girls play guy characters.

That's not so hard to believe either. If guys are allowed to play characters that feature mini skirts and or S/M bras, I don't see why girls can't play Scottish characters that have towels around their waists. There is a perfectly logical psychological explanation: penis/womb envy.

Wacking zombies, consorting with angels, saving the world, I say those are legitimate occupational choices for woman.

2. kontankarite

kontankarite IncGamers Member

Re: Question for People with Question About Female in Gaming

I think the implication that there are gamers and women gamers is pretty segregationist, really. A female gamer does not deserve/need extra special attention because they don't have a penis.

I think there's this segregation amongst the gamers because quite frankly, a lot of gamers are males and more than likely, don't really get a lot of romantic attention. So now that they know there's a girl gamer, automatically, the males think that there's this level of companionship that can be obtained. Obviously, being a gamer is a poor standard for a decent relation.

If you REALLY want to be progressive in thought, then make it to were gender amongst gamers is a non-issue.

You can go on WoW or any other MMORPG and pretend to be a female and male players will trip over themselves just to give you loot for free. Pretty lame. But hey, while people are going to be that dumb, may as well exploit that sentiment before they wise up.

3. Dimmu

Dimmu IncGamers Member

Every girl i've ever met on d2(including one of my best friend's girlfriend) doesn't seem to play because they want to be part of the competition. They usually play because they want communication with other people. I'm not being sexist at all because when you think about it, finding ultimate thrills through violence really doesn't make a lot of sense, but it's how d2 works. I have yet to see a girl that can compete in top-tier PvP tournaments, and i don't think this is because they are inferior, but they just don't have the interest to reach that level.

4. kontankarite

kontankarite IncGamers Member

And how many players do you think actually make their gender known?

Out of millions of diablo players or even thousands you imply that non of them are females dominating the pvp servers? A bold claim.

5. Sequitur

Sequitur IncGamers Member

In regards to the 'other' gaming females post.

I don't think he was questioning a female's right to play video games. He was doing some research to see how he could get his missus into Diablo 3. Nothing sinister..

6. sicilian

sicilian IncGamers Member

Generalizations are bad.

That being said, I think the question is not why are there NO female gamers... clearly there are many, I know several myself, ranging from casual to hardcore. The question is why is the percentage lower?

Without an official study, I can't even say that it is, but in my personal experience (which is just that, what I see in my own small section of the world), every guy friend I have plays video games, and only a handful of my lady friends do. Amongst the guys who play, most play a lot, or at least regularly. Amongst the girls, there are a few who play a lot, and most who play because either the people around them are playing, or will pick one game every year and play it once a week.

I may be in a weird place, I dunno. Maybe elsewhere there are places with more female gamers, but from what I see, there are fewer than men, and there must be a socialogical reason for that. It's not because they CAN'T play or worse with electronics, it's because they DON'T play, for reasons of which I'm sure there is a variety.

It's not sexist to ask the question. Some of the responses to the question however... I won't try to defend my gender on those :p

7. Maedhros

Maedhros IncGamers Member

I gota disagree with you. Just because people are gamers dosent mean they dont have lives. Thats why I enjoy games where you can spend less time in the game, and still be extremely competitive. For example, GWs low level is great, it allows me to play for an hour, and still be as good as the next person.

I have a hard time believing people when they say they are women because no one, and Ill say that again, no one in my school whos a girl plays any games. That is to say I dont know every single girl in my school. It seems to me girls that I Know are fairly stereotypical, they love make up, and shows like The Hills.

8. Dimmu

Dimmu IncGamers Member

when you play d2 for the sole purpose of PvP, you pretty much know the whole community. I know most of the better ones by first name, or at least used to, i havn't played in months really. In some cases people even know what eachother look like and roughly where they live. I'm not talking about terrible people in public duel games. And to say that any of these people make massive strings of lies to cover up their gender is ludicrous, especially considering girls are treated with much more respect when it comes to d2 nerds.
    What I'm saying is: women usually aren't competitive for no clear reason the way men are. They typically would rather form bonds with people than have all-out deathfests for no good reason.

9. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Ok so now all gamers are 15-18?

Oh dear, this isn't going to end well.

I can say that as I'm 37 and female. Ohh oohhhh I play games too; have since I was 15.

10. Maedhros

Maedhros IncGamers Member

Yea, but im just saying, that girls my age arent interested. Iv got a female teacher that plays games.

11. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

So ... you're suggesting OLD women like computer games.

*waits*

:evil:

12. carbonite

carbonite IncGamers Member

Problem is most guys who enjoy the gaming hobby are in the nicest way introverted gaming types with loner tendencies and without much social skills involving members of the opposite sex. They get extremely excited when said members are enjoying the same activity they indulge in. It gives them this excitement that in this 'male' dominated environment an actual female is enjoying what he is. He is comfortable with socializing and engaging the female unlike he would in real life. Not to mention his true character does not have to be shown since we are all hiding behind a monitor.

13. Sequitur

ahahaaAHAHAHAHAH...

Uncomfortable...good luck..

14. phool

phool IncGamers Member

Language is often sexist by today's standards. See male prostitute, vs prostitute (as opposed to vs female prostitute), for a particularly parallel comparison to game vs female gamer. You should check out the Saphir-Wharf hypothesis if you find the subject interesting.

Like in athletics, at least some games have seperate male and female competitive leagues for good reason (e.g. UT2k4). I don't consider myself sexist, however I do acknowledge the mean man and mean woman are not identical. I have no idea whether the fact that the best male UT2k4 gamers are significently better than the best female gamers is due to less dedicated than female gamers playing UT2k4, hence a smaller sample of gamers to select from, or because there is some genetic advantage to being male that's relevent to UT2k4.

Please note the total lack of extrapolation in the above paragraph. Does anyone have examples of female-dominated major competitive games leagues?

15. carbonite

carbonite IncGamers Member

Haha, maybe he meant only smart mature girls enjoyed the art. =o

16. Sequitur

Woahwoahwoahwoah woah woah...woah..........woah...

Let's ease up on the generalizations , buddy..

:p

17. korialstraz

korialstraz IncGamers Site Pal

I know of 5 girls that play video games that I have met online or on forums, and they know more about the games than ALOT of the male gamers out there. I'm also sure there are some top tier pvp players as well. Just consider CS (Yea I know not the same but it get's the point across) and how many women are good at that. I've even heard about an all out female team totally dominating other teams consisting of males.

Just because there are more males playing doesn't mean we are automaticly better at it since we can become more dedicated. Females can and are just as good. Maybe not all are, but then again not all males are good at it either.

Joins the waiting :evil:

18. phool

phool IncGamers Member

I would say this is a fair comment, at least in spirit, only if you replace "guys who enjoy the gaming hobby" with "dedicated PC gamers".

19. ArtBell

ArtBell IncGamers Member

I'm 28 and I can remember 20 years ago, talking to the boys at my school about Atari, Intellivision, Commodore 64, NES and those cheap Tiger handheld games. Girls didn't seem interested in such pursuits, but maybe I just wasn't interested in girls.

High school brought to my attention a few female gamers, but not many. A girl picking up the controller and playing Super Mario World on her brother's SNES was quite the turn-on, actually.

Nowadays, it seems like there are plenty of female gamers. Several of my female non-gamer friends from back in high school have become avid gamers. I checked out the Pinball Hall of Fame and Museum in Vegas a few weeks ago and was surprised to see a good number of females playing the machines. Some of the girls there were with their boyfriends, but there were plenty that were solo and beating the hell out of my scores.

I guess my observation is that the number of female gamers relative to male gamers has grown quite a bit over the last 20 years.

20. Rashiminos

Rashiminos IncGamers Member

Has a lot to do with typical game material being developed for a typically male audience. Women aren't generally encouraged to find interest in the same set of activities as men are encouraged to pursue. Gender socialization...

Then there are "tomboys" and effeminate men.