Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question for musicians (or physicists)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Anyee, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Anyee

Anyee IncGamers Member

Question for musicians (or physicists)

I've been googling for this, but with no luck, so I'm turning to the OTF. How many hertz are in a semitone, i.e. C to C#?

2. publius

publius IncGamers Member

I actually derived it with a couple of other people. A middle C is about 262 Hz. A note above middle C's frequency is 262*2^(x/12), where x is the number of half-steps above C.

So for example C# is one half-step above C, so its frequency is 262*2^(1/12), or about 278.

Edit: whoops, I forgot that we were deriving it for my B flat trumpet, 262 is actually B flat. So normally, a C is 278, a C# is 278*2^(1/12) or about 294 (it works the same, just one step higher).

3. Anyee

Anyee IncGamers Member

Hrm, so in the range of 28 Hz. Use A, though. Better waveform. My tuner's at my gf's house and it allows minute changes in Hz.

4. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

It depends on the octave.

Here you go:

freq = base*2(x/12)

Base is any base frequency. Generally, A = 440 Hz is the accepted frequency. From here, X is the relative position of the note, going up. You can't go down. In your case Anyee, choose a base C, say 523.25 Hz (same octave as our A). C# is one position up, relative to C. Toss that into your calculator, and away you go.