Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question for elite hunters

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Voice, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Voice

Voice IncGamers Member

Question for elite hunters

I doubt i'll need help in much aspects of one if i make on but the main thing is .. i really want a wolf summoner .. and spirit wolves at that sooooooo

after maxing all the life synergies etc.

i would like to also use SoB's ... soooooo

would might merc + bramble (thorns armor i think) on a merc + Sob + other aura gear like beast or whatever would the whole ... hit me and die thing work well as a play through skill (ignoring pi's of course)?

I was basically wondering if anyone has tried to incorperate SoB's into a summoner build and if so how it worked.

2. alainpp66

alainpp66 IncGamers Member

I personally think it could work as a passive damage skill... Even if it will be less successful than in 1.09, it'll still take their life down.

I'd just like to point out 1 thing that would give it a significant kick since you haven't mentioned it...

Amp Damage. Atma's Ammy.

Without Amp... I doubt the damage will be considerable enough to make it worthwhile...

Amp damage can also be found on Magical/Rare Spears and Polearms as well.

3. Voice

Voice IncGamers Member

wow didnt even think of amp .. thanks for the tip .. will this help w/ thorns or just overall damage?

4. alainpp66

It'll help with Both.

5. royalesse

royalesse IncGamers Member

Yes Amp will help with both... Personally I'd look at Oak Sage over Spirit of Barbs. In hell the average monster does 100-150 damage and at lvl 20 your wolves will have 375-512 life... so... while the Spirit of the barbs will deliver 400-600 more damage vs. the Oak Sage giving your wolves 843-1152 health.

With all those tanks floating around you I'd look at Lacerator and just melee with it to cast Amp damage. If you have max block and all those meat sheilds it should be safe enough to do.

edit: Amp damage will get rid of MOST of those pesky phys Immunes too. (It's counted as -100% physical damage resistance). Also I'd look for a Hone Sudan and a Guillame's face for the rest of my merc's equipment.

edit2: the average monster has about 15-20k of health so for them to die in 1 hit you're looking at a damage return of 10,000%. And still... 10 hits isn't bad.

6. alainpp66

Sorry to tell you Royalesse... Oak won't give his summons that much life.

You forget the +life% from dire (+525% when maxed at 20)... Those totals are additive... not multiplicative.

A lvl30 Oak adds only 175%... it's considerable for you and your merc, but not as much for the minions. Since you're a Ranged character and your merc will be well equipped, the life is less significant. You'll mainly be using your merc for his aura's anyway... so give him a little DR so he can survive a little better (It's the summons that are meant to return damage).

SoB actually has it's place on this build...

When a Monster is Immuned, Amp only reduces Resistance at 1/5th it's effectiveness.... (Still most monster's don't have more than 120%Phys Res without Iron Skin)

Lacerator is actually a Great Suggestion for this build... I had thought of it but didn't want to betray the Hunter aspect since it was what you wanted. You can still do ranged. One down side is the HCMTF... if they're running, they're not attacking and they're not getting hurt.

My bow of choice would be WWS... I know the Amp isn't over abundant, but it's a Really nice bow even without a high % and will offer you some res. (Without Oak, and wielding a 2 handed weapon, you'll need it) Upgrade it if you wish.

7. royalesse

Doh... my bad...

As an aside: for alternative builds I like to have the rune word Black on weapon switch since the corpse explosion really speeds things up in a pinch and on a norm weapon it's dirt cheap to fix.

8. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

I agree adding amp would make this hunter variant much more interesting!!! A nice bow with decent summon charms interesting indeed.

9. alainpp66

Oh, I Do Like that CE with the Amp Already out. What you'd have there is an ArtyDruid.

Thorns works to weaken the crowd and CE cleans up.

But... I think it would be a waste of a weapon switch when you could give your Wolves an extra little kick. (Pretty sure you can pre-buff them, keep the stats but you'd only lose dogs if you didn't have enough skills to maintain them on the switch. Someone correct me if I'm wrong... Never actually buffed a summoning skill)

With Lidless and a "Keeper's" Club, you could get +4 which would be significant on this build.

10. Voice

Voice IncGamers Member

Thanks for the help guys .... oh btw .... i always opted for a javadruid as a hunter .. why? B/c javas take more skill in actual real life hunting, and b/c i think it always looks kooler. I made a javasin hc ... they just plain out do bowassins or a 'hunter druid'. I consider a druid using summons a hunter too ... just a different varient only sucky thing is he needs same gear on weapon switch but if your not to lazy to go fix gear in town every once in awhile its a real fun build.

11. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

If you are going to use throwing did you consider the lacerator? While not javs, they do have % to cast amp.

12. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

Spirit wolves damage is just way too low.
    You'd be lucky to kill (slowly) with grizzly in hell.

13. Voice

Voice IncGamers Member

I perfer javs .. look kooler but i may consider lacerator .... or atmas or both .. who knows.

killing speed isnt everything .. i think w/ the right gear it could kill at a decent pace ... maybe even get a metal grid ammy and throw down on a iron golem in games i plan on playing a good bit in.

14. royalesse

Then you should look at Razortail and the Safety craft. Sol runes are fairly common so you might be able to craft a good javaline (sp?)... I forgot where the best place to shop for javas are... if I remember correctly people would use Anya and just jump in and out of the red portal to Nilacrack or whatever his name is... (I might be getting this confused with Assasins and claws though... you may want to check an old lightning fury javazon guide).

15. Aerath

Aerath IncGamers Member

Anya sticks to Claws only. In Haggorath, tis Malah that sells the Javas etc.