Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

question (checked guides no answer)

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by culpjd, Apr 14, 2005.

1. culpjd

culpjd IncGamers Member

question (checked guides no answer)

hi, this might be known im not sure, does MF have breakpoints like everything else in this game, i hear some people say there are points you wana try to be close too?

2. Lazy_BerZerker

Lazy_BerZerker Banned

no, but there is demishing returns (or what they're called), just like with f r/w. You can find the equation in the STRAT COMP :D

3. Jek

Jek IncGamers Member

Well, you could say that 100% is the break point, after that the dimishing returns starts kicking. So the first 100 points of MF are much "stronger" than the next 100. :)

(which is why I like having around 100 MF on all my PvM chars, and of course higher on my pure MFers)

4. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

The "breakpoint" in the above post is 1.09 info.

Since there is a round-down factor in the formulas for MF and drop calculations, I suppose there indeed ARE "sort-of-magic-find-break-points" (Hereafter called George;)) but these would be very close together, and dependant on a lot of other stuff as well as MF (clvl, mlvl, qlvl of given item, class specific or not... those are the ones I remember).

But for a GIVEN monster (say pindle) with a GIVEN clvl (say 90) and searching for a GIVEN item, there would be George. George very close together, until you get into the 800+ MF range.

5. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

How best to explain this...

First, Jek, I'm afraid you've gotten hold of some bad information there, probably from this very site. Diminishing returns starts at 10% MF, ie practically right away. If you are wearing 100% MF you only have 71% better chance of finding unique items.

The table that shows MF diminishing starting at 100% is showing numbers in a slightly odd way - it is counting a base "100%" for you yourself. ie when you wear 0% MF you don't have 0 chance of finding stuff, you have your base chance (x100%) and then if you wear 100% more you have 200% times your base chance. Does that make sense?

So, anyway, diminishing starts at 10%.

Also, the semantic answer to the original question is yes, there are breakpoints, but they are so close together you can't tell.

Whenever you have diminsihing, you are squeezing a large range of numbers (eg 1-1000) into a smaller range (eg 1-250). There are no fractions in Diablo. Which means that somewhere two or more numbers must be being diminished to the same smaller number. The first place this happens is 11% MF, which is exactly the same as having 10% MF. In that sense, 10% is a breakpoint and so is 12% (because 12% is genuinely better than 10% and 11%). But there is no real value in knowing these points. Sometimes it means that adding 1% extra MF is no use, but how often do you really think hard about adding 1% MF?

[edit] Ah, wrote too much, too slow :) BTW helvete it is not 1.09 info, it is just wrong. It was the same way in 1.09 as now.

6. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

No internet site can get me as excited as when thinking of adding MF :p

7. ChthonVII

ChthonVII IncGamers Member

Yes, there are breakpoints.
    All step equations inevitably have breakpoints.
    However, mf doesn't involve 1 step equation, but 5 independent ones, so there is a different set of breakpoints for superior, magic, rare, set, & unique. IE the 1 mf that increases your actual chance of finding a unique does nothing to your actual chance of finding a set, while, 2 or 3 points later, your actual chance to find a set increases, but not your actual chance to find a unique.
    Somewhere around here there's an mf calculator that does them all in parallel and displays a very nice table.