Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question: Avenger or Fanatic Avenger

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by eron, Feb 18, 2004.

1. eron

eron IncGamers Member

Question: Avenger or Fanatic Avenger

I am considering whether I should Max Fanatism or conviction for my Avenger. Which should be a better choice? With +skills item, I am targeting lvl 29 Fana or convict at the end. lvl 29 give 500+% damage while convict lower the resist fr 150%. I know convict can break immue but I shouldn't be worrying too much about that as there isn't any trible immue monster. Fana also increase the attack speed. Give your opinon if you have try either one or both, thank you.

2. eron

eron IncGamers Member

No one can give any opinion?

3. Shadoway

Shadoway IncGamers Member

Max conviction and use a Beast weapon.

4. eron

eron IncGamers Member

Not rich enough to have that weapon, what will be better if using a cheap weapon

5. Evanta

Evanta IncGamers Member

Conviction results in more damage/blow. Morever you won't die in 1 hit to Iron Maiden, which is a biggie for Fana/Vengence. Also it's a more party friendly aura than Fana.

Fana leeches more (this can be a biggie if you max Vengence rather than balancing pts out into synergies also), and swings faster, though the max you can swing with Vengence is 8fps, which is achieveable on some weapons without fanatism.

Overall, if your weapon hits 10fps and below without help, you will do more damage with Conviction, no contest.

However it is somewhat more of a tossup if you are using a slower, high damage/%proc weapon. Scaffer's Hammer comes to mind with it's 14% static field (I know, it's wrong spelling). Crushing Blow weapons like Heaven's Light probably work better with Fana/Vengence too, though I have no practical experience with Fana/Vengence.

6. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

i would max conviction, but thats just my opinion... with the huge elemental damage and the huge -resitances off conc... mmm yummie

7. eron

eron IncGamers Member

Does the ED added by Fana factor into the elemental damage, what I mean is when Fana add 300% of damage, are they all physical? Does that increase the amount of elemental damage from Vengence?

I am planning on using the Heaven's Light so maybe I should try the Fana version first and see how it goes, if it doesn't work I can always rebuild.
    My Heaven's Light is a perf +3 skill 300%ED one, too bad it have only 1 socket which will be used by Shael as I need 39% IAS with lvl 27 fana to reach 8fps attack.

8. Loboleal

Loboleal IncGamers Member

No, only weapon damage matters for Vengeance. Nothing more. Fanaticims ED will only raise your physical damage.

As stated before, it's better to maximize Conviction, but remember 1 thing:
    Conviction is capped at Slvl 25 (you won't obtain any benefit in lowering monsters resistances passed Slvl 25), so put points until you reach Slvl 25 with +skills you've planned to have.

9. wisedoor

wisedoor IncGamers Member

If you go 1handed weapon, use Conviction and a fast weapon.
    If you go 2handed, use Fana that will make you able to reach min FPA with any weapon, and get a merc to tank your back while you kill monsters single-lined coming at you. You´ll leech around 10 times more (huge physical damage), and have a lil bit more damage ratio over the conv avenger, but will not have block.

10. mastrinidad

mastrinidad IncGamers Member

you know...if you are one who doesnt NEED super defense and just a few points in holy shield is fine for you (with perhaps a defensive merc)..why not go BOTH...since convic tops out at 25...it looks like you have...+9 to all skill points from ur items..so that means Convic can go to 14....put some in Fan too if you want to do a test...might have to be more careful with your point allocation.

It is just a game after all..if you dont like one or the other after some testing..just make a new guy.

My opinion is convic tho..Love that green hue...

11. Syphilis

Syphilis IncGamers Member

vengence gives you ~800% elem ed with syn.
    so without aura, your damage is something shared like this :

10% base weapon dmg
    15% from str (if 150 str)
    75% elemental

fanatism increases the 10% of your damage (the base weapon part)
    conviction increses the elemental part, that is at least 75% of your damage.

your chance to hit is greater with conviction.
    you have more friends with conviction :)