Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

question abt map seed..

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by red_devil, Apr 4, 2004.

1. red_devil

red_devil IncGamers Member

question abt map seed..

does it have anything to do with MFing..

apart from making exits nearer/farther to the portal etc, i was thinking map seed has nothing to do with MFing.. which isnt that great a deal for my sorc with teleport.. am i correct or am i wrong.. :scratch:

2. Ensis

Ensis IncGamers Member

The map seed not only lets you maintain a convenient map with quick exits and entrances to other levels, etc... it can also effect your chances of getting some items. Some seeds have a tendency to drop the same couple of base items (white-worded) if you run the same place and the same monsters over and over (the Pit for example). With high MF, eventually one of these is likely to become a set or unique version of that base item. So if you find a Pit map that has monsters dropping plain Hydra Bows and Sacred Armors all over the place... my advice to you is to write the seed number down and keep it in a safe place, because if you are lucky enough, you might end up with a nice item :thumbsup: . Finding a map that does this in the first place, however, is a problem... I've yet to find a map I want to stick with desperately. Although others have.

3. red_devil

wow.. thanks.. i actually had a fair few sacred armors dropped in pits and pindle runs..

another question though.. i assume changing seeds is something like for hell, log in NM and going back to hell..

how do i find the seed number..

if i do copy it how can i start the game with that seed..

thanks.. :buddies:

4. AlterEgo

AlterEgo IncGamers Member

Pretty common question in the forum, one that most often turns a bit ugly. I'll add my two cents witha quote from the SPF FAQ:

------------------------------------------
    -seed affects the random number generator in the game. If abused, it can lead to the creation of games wherein powerful items can drop with some frequency. This usage is not considered acceptable.

However, it also allows for the recovery of maps if a player accidentally changes difficulties or joins a multiplayer game. The consensus of the SPF is that the -seed command can be used to recover a map. However, once the map is recovered, the player should exit the game, clear "-seed" from the command line, and return to playing as this prevents abuse. Under no circumstances should map seeds be shared with other forum members. You should be up front about your use of this command when seeking to trade as well.

-----------------------------------------
    So be prepared for the majority of the users here to consider your concept at least cheesy, if not outright cheating.

5. farting bob

farting bob Banned

the seed is kept until you change the difficulty of that charcter or play MP with him/her. so you can save and exit and itll keep the same map.

6. red_devil

:buddies: guys..

7. Death_Dealer

Death_Dealer IncGamers Member

One tendency I have found is that if you have a seed that is dropping whites, blues, yellows of a particular base item, that's the only colors that drop. I usually don't get a gold of that item until I switch map seeds. I call these "teaser" maps since it just teases you with the right item but wrong color. I have nothing scientific to base this on, it just seems to hold true more often than not. Maybe some else has had this same experience.