Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question - Absolute top (godly) PVM gear

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Sutareteiru, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Sutareteiru

Sutareteiru Diabloii.Net Member

Question - Absolute top (godly) PVM gear

Hi, I am finally getting back into the game after a 5 year stay. I have been trying to find a list of the absolute most top end (godly gear) for a hammerdin or hybrid, whatever is best for all PVM. I basically want to use this char for PVM only from running friends through acts to knocking out uber trist to hunting diablo clone. So any advice or links to a guide would be appreciated.

Btw guides that say things like shako for a helm are not what I am looking for, I am looking for the absolute best gear, and maxing my char to its fullest.

2. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Question - Absolute top (godly) PVM gear

what's wrong with shako?

3. Sutareteiru

There is nothing wrong with a shako, however I know that rare paladin circlets can be much more powerful. I am not looking for a cookiecutter cheap build, I am looking for absolute max utility and survivability, even if theoretical.

4. tehIcy

tehIcy Diabloii.Net Member

+2 Circlet with 20 FCR
    +2/+3+3 Scepter with 20 FCR
    Enigma
    Spirit with 35 FCR
    +2 Amulet with 20 FCR (Crafted)
    Arachnid Mesh
    Magefist (20 FCR)
    10 FCR Ring
    SoJ/BK
    Some sort of Boots (Treks, Waterwalk, etc)

Or if FCR isn't as important to you:

+2 Circlet with 20 FCR
    +2/+3/+3 Scepter with 20 FCR
    Enigma
    Herald of Zakarum
    +2 Amulet (Rare (more non-auto affixes than Crafted))
    Arachnid Mesh (20 FCR)
    Magefist (or Frostburn if you decide to use a 20 FCR Amulet)
    2 SoJs/BKs
    Some sort of Boots (Treks, Waterwalk, etc)

It depends what FCR breakpoint you want to hit. The damage per second with the first setup is slightly higher, but you kill individual monsters a little slower (so you may 1-hit kill or 2-hit kill monsters with the second setup that you wouldn't with the first).

Hoto may also be better if you want to sacrifice some damage for higher resistances or using both a Rare Amulet and Frostburn.

For any Rares/Crafteds, you can get Strength (since HP per vitality point is 3 and you can get more Strength than triple that amount of life on mods (such as +30 Amulet)), Resists, Life, etc, but FCR and +skills are the main things you'll want for pure damage.

It ultimately depends on what you want.

5. crawlingdeadman

yes, you are. you're looking for a hammerdin build hence, cookie cutter.

6. Sutareteiru

crawlingdeadman:

I believe you forgot the line where I asked hammerdin or hybrid, meaning whatever is most effective, I know some changed to hammers has come into play in 1.13 pertaining to magic resistance. I figure hammerdin is not the end/all pvm anymore, so im trying to figure out if I can balance out for those immune monsters with something in weapon/shield slots 2.

tehIcy:

Thanks for the info, yeah I think I want the FCR to be 125. I am just trying to find out if hammerdin can handle all situations with the right merc or whether or not ill need alternate gear in the shield/weapon slot for certain rare situations

7. tehIcy

tehIcy Diabloii.Net Member

It can, but good luck getting all those items.

8. zrk

zrk Diabloii.Net Member

cant get a 20fcr scepter unless youre nl and get some godly prepatch stuff, so have to use a fcr ring(huh you have 145 fcr).
    also the logic about second setup being faster - casting also takes time. so 1 hit kills with 1st setup are always faster

9. Shaigon

Shaigon Diabloii.Net Member

Hammerdin is still the end all pvm character. Yes the change was made to magic resistance, but due to overall lack of magic immune monsters hammerdins are still the most versatile pvm killer. Your merc is really all you need to get rid of any you run into.

10. crawlingdeadman

yeah, only change in 1.13 is that now instead of pumping holy shield after everything else, you dump points into holy bolt to get rid of the magic immunes most of which are undead and susceptible to holy bolt. it barely slows you down really considering that one of holy bolt's synergies is hammer itself.

my only suggestion on the OP is to put a point into fanaticism and have bare bones smiter gear in your stash for doing trist. check out the one point smiter guide in the sticky for more info on that aspect.

11. Norrit

Norrit Diabloii.Net Member

I have to say, after 1.13 necros >>> hammerdins. sure you don't one-shot everything, but they can clear a baal run much faster. between corpse explosion, tons of skeles, amp/lower resist and an infinity merc there isn't much you can't kill (make sure you get an insight iron golem as well)

on topic:

so you want to know the theoretical gear you will never get? what is the point of doing that if in the end you will do less than 1k more than the guy with a shako and hoto? unless you plan to hack your way and play open battle.net/tcp ip games, there is no way in hell you'll get that gear, not even with infinite wealth, simply because the odds of it all dropping within one ladder season are slim to none (especially considering the last 6-month season).

@theIcy

amen on that gear setup, though are those scepters even possible (not sure about the FCR)? They should also be socketed at larzuk for 2 sockets for extra l33t factor ;)

as for treks vs walks, I'd say it comes down to spirit vs. no spirit. if you're using spirit, sure you want treks, as you can then use one 12%FHR pcomb and hit a good breakpoint. if you're not, then you might as well say screw it and take the extra life from WWs along with the added dex. though if the OP only wants the l33test " omg look at my e-peen" gear then 100% perf eth treks is second to none (except maybe for tri-resists/30frw/10fhr rare boots)

12. Sutareteiru

lol it's not about epeen, I actually do a lot of crafting and mfing all by my lonesome, I actually thoroughly enjoy the games with myself and just a few rl friends.

I just like to know what to work for, even if its 1 piece at a time for months and months, I enjoy the thrill of the hunt for that elusive black rhino.

13. Trionth

Trionth Diabloii.Net Member

Hammerdin is end all PvM. With gear swaps you can even solo ubertrist (I've done it) Dclone is cake, you never get damaged, and he takes all of 1 minutes to destroy.

Heres what I feel is 'Ideal' Hammerdin, and I'm 2 Pieces of gears away from it. (playing NL, and with trading, not all found myself :\)

What I useis listed next to the items I havent got (yet)

Helm: +2 paladin, +20% FCR, 2os, other mods [Um'd Shako]
    Armor: 'Enigma' Archon Plate
    Weapon: 'Heart of the Oak'
    Amulet: +2 paladin, +20% FCR, Resists, other mods [Perfect Mara's]
    Shield: Perfect 35% FCR 'Spirit' in a base shield with +45 Resist all (I have this on switch, and use a Um'd HoZ here)
    Boots: Ethereal Sandstorm Treks
    Gloves: Magefist
    Belt: Arachnid Mesh
    Weapon Switch: +6 BO 'Call to Arms'
    Shield Switch: any 'Spirit'
    Rings: Stone of Jordan x2

Inventory
    9x Paladin Combat w/life GC (I don't use any of these, I like the free inventory to identify rares, and they aren't needed, just 'ideal')
    20/20 Paladin torch (mine is 19/20)
    20/20/10 Annihilus (mine is 20/19/7)
    The rest fill with 20 life Small charms (I use a few that I've found, still no problems without them)

Mercenary

Act 2 Prayer mercenary with:
    Ethereal Andariels Visage (ral'd)
    Ethereal Archon Plate (I prefer Sacred) Fortitude
    Ethereal Cryptic Axe 'Insight' 17 Meditation Aura

This will net you 125% FCR (fastest hammers) and Invincibility against pretty much anything in the game. Your Mercenary will tank anything (careful still with Iron Maiden, althought its never a problem for me) and the only Immunes are Hell Baal's 2nd wave (they're Magic immune throughout the Hell Difficulty) Your Mercenary can take care of them.

Uber Trist
    I'll save you a trip to the guide. Heres what I swapped out.

Guillame's Face Um'd
    'Last Wish' Phase Blade / 'Grief' Phase Blade / 'Black' (there are many Runewords that go good here)
    Up'd Hoz Um'd/ Regular Hoz Um'd/ 'Exile' in a +45 Resist all shield
    Dracul's Grasp
    Verdungos Hearty Cord (not necessary)
    Gore Riders

Lifetap wand on switch (not necessary, just bring Full Juvies until Lifetap from Drac's or 'Last Wish' kicks in.

It took me longer than it takes my friend (with a dedicated uber-trist smiter/zeal) but I didn't have many problems. Hit lifetap, and smite away until dead. No worries.

There it is, the best you can get. Good luck to you, it gets boring fast lol :thumbup:

EDIT:
    Most of my games are with RL friends, well... only one friend that plays lol, but people from these forums are just as fun and trustworthy to play with. Its also helpful to find those extra bits of gear you just can't find on b.net.

I'm going to be making an Auradin soon (wana find a really nice 'Dream' Shield [NL]) and he could very possibly be more "godly" Just walk and watch everything around you fall dead :smug: I'll see how it goes.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  14. zrk

zrk Diabloii.Net Member

ubers aside, 200fcr light sorcs do everything faster than hdins - just more fragile

15. Trionth

I've always wondered how to achieve 200 fcr on a sorceress... Topic for a PM or different thread though :\

I agree, if you want to deal with the mana (which I hate with a passion) then a lightning sorceress is quite a bit faster. Respec her into a Zeal Enchantress (I'm sure there's a guide for Ubers) and do Ubers if you really wanted.

Hammerdins can tank pretty much anything though, I still prefer them.

16. BAMFSpecialOps

BAMFSpecialOps Diabloii.Net Member

35fcr armor(vipermagi)
    25fcr griffons
    20fcr belt
    20fcr gloves
    35fcr spirit
    50fcr wiz(or 40fcr hoto/chuta)
    Match fcr rings/ammy to reach the 200%

BTW in your early post, you do realize Iron Maiden was taken out? You say to be careful of it...

17. Trionth

That would be why I've never had a problem with it :doh:

Its just in all the guides... figured I'd say it incase its there and just didn't affect me (Maybe that was what I was thinking :scratchchin:) I dunno lol.

18. elationtheory

elationtheory Diabloii.Net Member

to be picky on this, lightning doesn't have a 200 fcr bp. the highest is 194 for 11 frame lightning.

200 fcr does give you a 7 frame tele though.

however this is a paladin topic so we're kinda drifting out of point lol

19. BAMFSpecialOps

BAMFSpecialOps Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah why would you hit 195 and not go for the extra 5% to hit the tele breakpoint?

Anywho.. Yeah Iron Maiden was taken out in 1.13. The guides were written before 1.13 when Chaos was a very scary place for mercs.

20. elationtheory

elationtheory Diabloii.Net Member

just a clarification in case people unfamiliar with the different breakpoints of lightning read the post and assume lightning has the same fcr breakpoints as the other sorc skills =)