Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question about Upgrading items

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Patch Bug Reports & Suggestions' started by GandalfThaGrey, Feb 27, 2004.

1. GandalfThaGrey

GandalfThaGrey IncGamers Member

Question about Upgrading items

hi every1 i have a question like the title said about upgrading items it seems that a few of my last upgrades didnt work i mean is that intentional by blizzard to ruin the items or its just based on luck? for argument sake i tried upgrading a vampire gaze and crown of thieves etheral and both were downgraded instead of upgraded (not requiremnt wise - that means that their requirements were upgraded but their defence went down instead of up) is there a sure way to know which items will be upgraded or i just have to try and see were the chips might fall thanx for any input cya

2. blackrocksword

blackrocksword IncGamers Member

There's a bug where upgraded ethereal unique armours will retain the base non-ethereal defence.... that's why your defence on your ethereal CoT and Vampire Gaze went down.

3. Wolv

Wolv IncGamers Member

SO this bug wouldn't apply to upgrading an eth titans? This is eth armor only?

4. blackrocksword

Yes this bug only applies to unique armour only, unique weapons are not affected by it. (Not sure about rare armour though)

5. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

The bug also applies to rare armors.

6. GandalfThaGrey

ye but only the CoT was eth when i upgraded my gaze it was non eth and still it ****ed up the defence now i have a 220(instead of 250) def gaze and requried lvl 70 :scratch: its non eth and still got fooked

7. blackrocksword

Taken from Arreat Summit:
    Grim Helm
    Defence: 60-125
    Bone Visage
    Defence: 100-157

Usually exceptional unique items retain maximum base defence, meaning that your Vampire Gaze had 125 base defence. However when it is upgraded the new base defence is randomised. In this case your Vampire Gaze Bone Visage had only 110 base defence.
    That said, upgrading Vampire Gaze isn't recommended. Even if you got lucky and hit maximum defence on an upgraded one, it'll only be 314 defence, a measly 64 defence enhancement(With an increase in STR requirement)? Not worth it IMO.

8. GandalfThaGrey

thanx m8 now i know its randomized and its not really an upgrade of the exact item cuz if u check areat summit site u will see that every vamp gaze in the game spawns with 252 defence no matter what it doesnt vary from gaze to other gaze in the game but when upgrading a gaze this isnt taken into consideration and the defence is rerolled so now i know and i wanted to ask something else some1 here mentioned that upgrading a titans revenge items will be worth it i just wanted to know if its a sure thing or it will still have a chance to be lower dmg than b4 the upgrade thanx in advance