Question about upgrading GORES (and other uniques in general) der=

raffster

Diabloii.Net Member
Question about upgrading GORES (and other uniques in general)

I've gotten some mixed responses about why an Upgraded 200 ED Gore Riders cost ~ 7-10 HRs. Some people say that all I need to get is a perfect regular Gores and upgrade it and it becomes a 200% Myrmidion Greaves. So if that's the case then it shouldn't cost 7-10 HRs. Some others say that a new random ED is generated when upgrading.

which is fact and which is myth?
 
raffster said:
I've gotten some mixed responses about why an Upgraded 200 ED Gore Riders cost ~ 7-10 HRs. Some people say that all I need to get is a perfect regular Gores and upgrade it and it becomes a 200% Myrmidion Greaves. So if that's the case then it shouldn't cost 7-10 HRs. Some others say that a new random ED is generated when upgrading.

which is fact and which is myth?
it's a new random base def. when you find it and it's non uppd, it has perfect base defense, which is then multiplied by the ed% and then +1 iirc.

when you up it, then it takes the new armor its upgrading to, randomly picks a defense from that, then multiplies that by whatever ed% it spawned with. the ed% remains the same though.

i think there's a few bugs - if you do the math out, a lot of times its a bit lower than it should (for example i think if you do the math on homo, it turns out to like 442 or 443 or something but max is really 447).

the lowest possible def on uppd gores is somewhere in the 180's (i think it was 183? don't remember at all) - those are obviously worth less than perfect un uppd gores since you've already wasted the roll. in general, if you get 200+ def, the value starts to surpass that of perfect un uppd gores, and past 206 is when it starts bringing the dough in really.

please someone correct me if i'm wrong. -.-
 

Ax2Grind

Diabloii.Net Member
Double sauce and cheese, please

raffster said:
I've gotten some mixed responses about why an Upgraded 200 ED Gore Riders cost ~ 7-10 HRs. Some people say that all I need to get is a perfect regular Gores and upgrade it and it becomes a 200% Myrmidion Greaves. So if that's the case then it shouldn't cost 7-10 HRs. Some others say that a new random ED is generated when upgrading.

which is fact and which is myth?
Like the Pizza said, all spawning items with enhanced defense use maximum base defense plus one in calculations to determine the final defense, which is rounded {(MBD+1)*ED}. When an upgraded item is created through the Horadric Cube, it doesn't spawn, so it doesn't fall under the MaxBaseDef rule, instead getting any random value a non-ED item would normally get. It's that defense which is multiplied by the ED.

The only variable on Gore Rider is ED, so the range for an upgraded perfect would be 186-213, inclusive. A 1:28 chance of perfect elite Gore Rider would command a high price, but it's still a 1:2 chance of getting 200 or more total defense. Keep in mind this is still only an increase of 24-51 defense, which isn't much considering the RStr rises to 156 (a nearly 66% jump), but I believe it's the kick damage for an Assassin that truely brings the price. Almost twice the physical with crushing blow, deadly strike and open wound possibilities can makes it a great pair of boots, and every point of defense counts.

Perfect upgraded Gore Rider, though, are a ladder collector's dream. I'll leave it to Pizza and the price guides to decide what they're worth.
 
213 gores are 10-12 hr on east l.
210+ def is 5 hr +.
200-210 is 1-2 runes, i guess around 209 would be more like 3 ish.

but yeah i messed up - i said it was base def x ed + 1, but axe is right. its (base + 1) x ed.

but if you really want some uppd gores, i would strongly advise buying your own 200 non uppd for 1-2 ists depending, and up those. if you roll perfect, you can sell for profit and try again. o_o
 

raffster

Diabloii.Net Member
itsPizzarific said:
213 gores are 10-12 hr on east l.
210+ def is 5 hr +.
200-210 is 1-2 runes, i guess around 209 would be more like 3 ish.

but yeah i messed up - i said it was base def x ed + 1, but axe is right. its (base + 1) x ed.

but if you really want some uppd gores, i would strongly advise buying your own 200 non uppd for 1-2 ists depending, and up those. if you roll perfect, you can sell for profit and try again. o_o
Thanks for info guys. I got lucky I guess. I upd a 199% gores and got 200 def. Not bad I think.
 

Licwid

Diabloii.Net Member
I just found a pair of 200 ED Gores yesterday. I was wondering if the risk of upgrading it was worth it. I'll probably upgrade considering it could possibly bring me a couple of HRs, but it might also become pretty crappy. How much would a 182 roll go for? What about 182-195?
 

ghostee

Diabloii.Net Member
Licwid said:
I just found a pair of 200 ED Gores yesterday. I was wondering if the risk of upgrading it was worth it. I'll probably upgrade considering it could possibly bring me a couple of HRs, but it might also become pretty crappy. How much would a 182 roll go for? What about 182-195?
200 def is kinda like the line. higher = value ^. lower = value V.

a low 180's roll would probably toss the value down quite a bit - probably around um on east ladder, while 213's go for 10-13 hr. i'd go for it. :)
 

Merick

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't see people being so picky about 20 defense when it comes to any other upped item..
 

ghostee

Diabloii.Net Member
Merick said:
I don't see people being so picky about 20 defense when it comes to any other upped item..
i think it's because the range of def on upped gores is lower than most popular upgraded items (vipermagi, shaft, homo, etc.). most of those range in def by over a 100, and gores only about 30.
 

FirepowerZ

Diabloii.Net Member
I read this post and decided i'd give upping gores a shot, and upped 199% Gores to become a 212 def Myrmidon Greaves =D Maybe ill get some gores and do it a few more times lol
 

Senor Bezeer

Diabloii.Net Member
I just have a quick question on upping in general. Can items be upped in non-ladder, because if my memory serves me well on the arreat summit the upping recipes are below a note that says ladder only, or does that note only apply to the recipe underneath it? thx
 

GotFriana

Diabloii.Net Member
In non ladder you can upgrade things from normal to exceptional, I ve done it with armors and weapons, but the elite recipes don t work.
 
Top