Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

question about the smileys.

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by LorveN, May 30, 2005.

1. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

question about the smileys.

How is it possible that this: :p does not turn into a smiley? If I make it with a small 'p', it goes: :p , but the big P does not help.
    Help!!

2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Perhaps because an upper case P is something different than a lower case one ? :scratch:

Using the wrong smileys might be against the secret part of the forum rules which might lead to drastic punishments. I will try to post here as inconspiciously as possible, so I hope Aragorn doesn't notice...

Sorry, I couldn't resist :p

A more serious explanation is that the "tongue" of a lower case p smiley is better aligned with the : An alternative would be Þ, but that character is out of the standard 7 bit ASCII character set.

I still have difficulties to stay serious while discussing about the proper usage of smileys and perhaps I unconciously want to say with this that I don't really care...

3. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Yeah using the wrong simley at the wrong time leads to a 50 year ban. Or something off the wall. ... (joke)

Actually there are more and better smileys on the WoW forums ;)

4. LorveN

But I don't play WoW! :mad:
    No, but seriously, I thought these problems only occured with chars like åäö etc. Thats what my programming lessons 3 years ago tought me at least, but then my teacher wasn't really a good one ;)

But aren't the WoW forums somehow related to these forums, and if so, why can't they just share smileys? Rivals or what?
    Well, I don't want to get that 50 year ban for using the wrong smiley, so the upper case P is now no longer an option for me...

:surPrise: :Teeth: :LorveNssecretsmileythatonlyworksformewhenIwriteitAlliNloWercAse:

See! There is something seriously wrong with uppercase characters in smileys! Do I get moderator status now for being a good detective? Or, just a 'detective' status would be nice too. In fact, anything but 'Banned for 50 years' is nice!

Hm, sorry for wierd post, aragorn_elessar, but at least we got this all sorted out, right? :Thumbsup: <-- damn! :D

5. Gorny

Gorny Banned

No worries on my end ;)

6. prawncracker

prawncracker IncGamers Member

Because upper- and lower-case characters have different character encoding. I don't want to go into the technical stuff (because I forgot :p ), but yup - different encoding

7. LorveN

I know, been into that myself, but then everywhere, and I really mean everywhere, except for here, it doesn't matter :)
    Wierd, isn't it?

:D :d
    And please note, that big D:s are the only ones working for the happy smiley... It isn't even following a pattern!

8. Frosty_The_Snowman

Frosty_The_Snowman IncGamers Member

I think on the contrary, that the smilies work perfectly ! Here's my explanation :

- First of all, what is a smiley ?

A smiley is a set of characters that, put together, form a simple drawing, representing faces with different emotions (c) (tm) (r) (Frosty's Inc. Ltd. All rights reserved).

Now let's look carefully at the two candidates ": p" and ": P".

- The first smiley looks like two eyes, and a laughing mouth well centered in the middle of them.
    - Take the second smiley : it looks like two eyes, and a laughing mouth completely shifted to the right. Looks more like a trisomic face, or someone who crossed the street just at the same time as that big tanker truck :lol: !

So now, the clever guy who had to choose between the two smileys decided to take the one that looks the more familiar to us : the ": p" (tadaaaaa !!)

Same thing for the smilies ": D" and ": d".

- The first smiley looks like two eyes and a big wide-open mouth, that same big joyful mouth you're having when your girlfriend makes you...hem... let's say, your favorite cooking ;).
    - Now take a look at the second smiley. Omg what's that ? Looks like someone who's swallowing his toothbrush :lol:. Nothing to do with the feeling we want to represent !

So as you can see, that same smart guy took the right decision by choosing the first smiley :thanks: !

- Frosty

9. LorveN

Damn, so actually I'm not allowed to mention smileys at all after that mega-copyright-thingy?! :LoL:

How about the poor fellows that look like a ":p" then? Are we mean towards them? This could turn really agressive if hardcore believers etc read this. Equality all over the world! Let no man fall behind! :ThUmBsUp:

I like toothbrushes! One can even laugh with one in one's mouth!

I agree on some points, but i will never let my smileys fall behind.
    For instance. The :LOL: smiley isnt really a smiley in the way you describe them. How shall we do with those?
    Maybe we should sit together sometime, make a statement on how to handle this question etc.? I feel that there is a lot to be done regarding this, and I just cant let this fall unnoticed.
    So, what'cha think?

(If you wonder why i refuse to write smileys properly in this post, its not only because of the huge problem we are facing, but also that you included so many smileys in your last post, that I can not add more without editing your post. Since your post had every copywrite protection in the world, I simply wouldn't dare... :Lol: )

10. Frosty_The_Snowman

Hehe, my post wasn't meant to resolve the whole question, frankly I don't care too much why ": p" works and not ": P". But you're right concerning the ":<insert word here>:" smilies. I just had some time to spend, to make some fun around the subject :lol: !

11. LorveN

Agree. Has been a good discussion though. The main issue is that I unintentionally do the :p with a big P, just an old habit of mine.

Anyway. I guess we are pretty much settled with this. Aragorn_elessar, if you have something to fill in, please go ahead. Else, you can always close this thread, since i think both parties are oki-doki.
    :fish:

12. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

The best mod is the one who isn't noticed, so as there is no reason to moderate, I don't expect a reaction ;)

13. LorveN

He closed threads on request before. I have tried ;)

14. Gorny

Gorny Banned

*sits quietly*

15. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

Actually, the usual smileys :) :D etc are motionless and blueish (standard smileys, invented by some guy), the :thumbsup: :clap: may not all be motionfull (most are, safe for some) but are all yellowish. (extended animations, most likely invented by the peeps who created this website)

16. LorveN

*pats on head, feeding with crackers*
    Good moddy, good moddy!
    Now, roll around! :lol:

Dawnmaster, I've noticed though, that some are more gold style than yellowish, and those are related to shyness or similar.

How are the smileys on WoW forum then?
    Are they also following these patterns, or are they individual in their own way of appearance? Would be nice if someone could update me.
    (Dont feel like registering on a forum just to check smileys, would be a little cheesy...)

17. Frosty_The_Snowman

By the way, do you know why the original smileys are blueish ?
    Well the explanation is very simple, just take a look at their creator :
    http://www.gifothon.com/signatures/toons/schtroumpf-17.gif
    :lol: :jig: