Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question about the fishymancer build

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Batang, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Batang

Batang IncGamers Member

Question about the fishymancer build

I created a necromancer as my first character this ladder, and I've really enjoyed playing with him. Having said that I'm not really happy with my current build, and I have some thoughts about how to change it and I'd appreciate some input.

I went for the normal build with 1 in all curses and used the spare points to get raise skeleton mage to 20. After using this build for some time I just find the skeleton mages to be more of an annoyance than anything else. Since I don't have enigma they keep getting left behind and so they vanish. Also, whenever I summon frost mages I either have to keep raising mages until I'm left with no frost mages (and have to do this over again every time my mages are left behind), or alternatively have the mages freeze the corpses that I need for my CE. They might add a small amount of damage and the poison mages prevent mobs from regenerating, but this alone doesn't feel worth it to me.

I've finally learned to use this build decently atleast, and so I find that it's quite effective even with my poor gear. Still, killing the prime evils still takes a bit longer than I would hope (20-30 seconds I'd guess (that's with 50% CB on my merc)), and I was wondering if something like this would work to speed things up a bit:

20 raise skeleton
    20 skeleton mastery
    1 clay golem
    1 golem mastery
    1 summon resist
    1 raise skeleton mage
    1 blood golem
    1 iron golem
    1 revive
    1 in all curses
    ----------------------

1 teeth
    1 bone armor
    20 corpse explotion
    20 bone spear
    ----------------------

all the rest in bone wall

My question is whether bone spear will be of any help with so few points in it's synergies, or would I simply be better off spending the points I put in bone spear on synergies for bone armor instead?

2. Ravenheart

Ravenheart IncGamers Member

Re: Question about the fishymancer build

Well I'm not a seasoned vet so you can take my opinions with a grain of salt, but basically...

Your skill set up should be 20 Raise Skeleton, and 20 Skeleton Mastery.

From there you will either Max or Boost Corpse Explosion to a radius of your liking<taking into account your +skills>

As for curses; You don't have to put one in all curses if you don't want. In most all situations you will only be using amp damage and decrep TBH....and the occasional dim vision.

As for Stat points...it depends on your eq. The general rule of thumb stands though; enough str for your eq(can get by with alot less if you happen to get a enigma; just respec), Dex enough for max block ( use homonculus to get the most out of your dex for the least inv. to get max block). Vitality all the rest...unless you decide to go max vitality...but i would discourage against it since the returns per life is pretty miniscuel.

For your extra skill points though...It's up to you....after putting points in CE and a curse of your choice( most likely amp damage ), then I would say go with mages....if not..you can invest some in your golem if you like or your bone armor.

As for your synergies for a bone hybrid...I would discourage against it tbh...a fishymancer doesnt go the bone route generally...though the poison hybid is very much plausible (tried before..isnt half bad).

Even without a Enigma, you should kill at a Ok speed...A Act 2 merc with might and ok amount of +skills should give you a respectable army. Just bare in mind..a fishy isnt going to kill act boss's super quick despite what you may think; tho after a point you can kill them quickly ( 10+ skills, enigma minion stacking,etc).

Hopefully I answered some of the questions you may have had; tho further opinions from more seasoned vets may shed more credence to answers your looking for; or look at guides stickied as they are very much informative as well.

3. Batang

Batang IncGamers Member

Thank you for the reply. That's what I figured, I suppose I will put the points into bone armor synergies for added survivability and maybe give skeletal mages another shot if I ever do get my hands on an enigma.

4. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

I doubt that bone is really effective with that amount of points spent, but whether mages will be a better choice when you don't have enigma... I don't know. Bone spirit does more damage against single targets by the way.

What's your merc carrying?

5. Batang

Batang IncGamers Member

Are you talking about bone armor or bone spear here (not sure whether you're refering to the first post or my last one)?

My merc is currently using an insight polearm in an ethereal cv, a duress with ~3k def and Guillaume's face. Frankly my mercs gear is the only thing I'm happy with atm. I did get off to a very good start with my necro because of some very generous donations, but my summoning skills still aren't that high. Luckily I can already run wsk and baal without any problems, so atleast the build is fulfilling it's purpose. ;)

6. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

Sorry, I meant spear/spirit. I've always thought bone armor is a waste and would much rather get some more points into dim vision after maxing mages. Naj's staff for tele on switch helps.

Eth Insight CV is an awesome weapon, especially with a good ED and critical strike roll, but if you want to speed up boss killing you could try eth Obedience CA with Treachery and 15 ias jeweled Guill's face. He should proc CB twice as often with that setup.

If you want to go the bone spirit route I'd do as Ravenheart suggested and just get amp and decrip in the curses tree. 47 in the summoning tree. Maybe put only 10 into CE, the radius will still be good with 10 or more +skills. Skip bone armor, max spirit/spear. You'll be done at level 91, which isn't completely unattainable. You could also work some fcr into your gear somewhere and use a White wand on swap (potentially +7 or +8 bone spear).

7. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

Max out your mages. They are effective when your merc uses infinity.

8. Batang

Batang IncGamers Member

Thank you for the suggestions. I probably won't go the bone spirit route, because lowering CE would probably just end up slowing my kill speed even further. Currently I tend to run countess>the pit>andariel>the council>Diablo>eldritch>shank>pindle>wsk>baal. I would probably be able to kill the prime evils faster, but I'm guessing that my mf runs would end up taking considerably longer still.

I'm sorry but did you read my first post? I explained that I don't like mages since I don't have enigma and they keep getting left behind etc., and I made this thread mainly to ask for opinions where to put those points other than in mages. Also, seeing as I don't even have an enigma yet, there is no way I would prioritize an infinity for my merc over enigma for my necro, especially since the mercs items are decent already.

9. Swamigoon

Swamigoon IncGamers Member

Base build: max RS, SM, CE.

A few more options for further skill points:
    - max mages - you tried this and didn't like it
    or
    - max DV - I did this once and liked it; was very useful in WSK to cripple gloams
    or
    - boost bone prison, bone wall - bone armor is like getting more free life
    or
    - boost amp dam - I did this once too; bigger radius and duration, didn't have to cast as often and I liked that
    or
    - boost clay golem and/or decrepify - slow down prime evils to make runs easier
    or
    - boost poison dagger - melee with skellies without worrying much about AR
    or
    - max summon resists - in order to brag that you maxed a skill that nobody ever bothers with
    or
    - ?

10. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop IncGamers Member

11. Batang

Batang IncGamers Member

Thank you for the suggestions Swamigoon. I think I've made my decision and I'll spend the spare points in synergies for bone armor.

12. Swamigoon

Swamigoon IncGamers Member

Let me know what you think of it, Batang; synergized bone armor is actually one of the fishy options I haven't yet tried.

13. Korlic

Korlic IncGamers Member

A few suggestions, gear:

Helm: 3 sox helm ptopaz/ tarnhelm/ Shako (ptopaz)
    Armor: Wealth/Smoke use smoke if u cant get wizzardspike
    Shield: Hommunculus (pdiamond) Most important!
    Weapon: Wizzardspike/AoKL (use both) Wizz is really good if you can get it.
    Amu: 20 res mara/ 2 skillevels rare.
    gloves: Chanceguard
    boots: war traveler/ rare res (if u need it) + MF and if possible FRW.
    Rings: Nagels or other mf rings.

Merc:
    Wep: Insight or obediance.
    Amor: treachery
    helm: tal mask

trade for (low) necro torch as soon as u can afford it. In terms of skill points consider bone spirit over bonespear, gives better damage with low synergies.

14. Niss

Niss IncGamers Member

Nice tips -- what do you think a low end necro torch would cost in trade?

15. RealmOftheWolf

RealmOftheWolf IncGamers Member

It will cost you around UM rune to be honest,Hell I usually give them away.

16. Niss

Niss IncGamers Member

Thanks. Gettin started up so mostly have pgems now - will look around. Gonna get a humonculus too.

17. RealmOftheWolf

What realm are you on and I may be able to dump you some for a few pgs.

18. Niss

Niss IncGamers Member

East US Ladder.

19. RealmOftheWolf

Afraid not then ^^ dam you easties.

20. Niss

Niss IncGamers Member

Too bad, thanks for the offer anyways!