Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question about the economics of skiller rolling

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by fahartle, Apr 10, 2005.

1. fahartle

fahartle IncGamers Member

Question about the economics of skiller rolling

I had a question about whether or not the economics are really in favor of rerolling GCs for skillers? It looks as if plain skillers average out to about a Pul (with the crap ones like curses balancing out the colds). If a Pul gets you 40 Pgems (or 13 rolls), do they pop up that often on an ideal Kurast GC (I'd think that that higher level charms, though capable of secondary mods, would have lower chances of rolling up a skill each roll)? Anyone ever expiremented to see what your chances of rolling a skiller are?

Looking at the Battle.net stats page, it looks like there are 73 different prefix mods and 27 suffix mods (100 total). Out of those, there are 21 skiller mods, or about a one out of five chance (pretty good). But I'm not technically knowledgable of these things and it seems like different ways of calculating the drop chances would radically change this surely flawed knee-jerk calculation. Obviously having a lvl 50 GC would raise your chances, but does the game select a type of magical affix and then selects again a more specific level (i.e. skiller or poison damage and then picks the specific skill or 6 PD or 15 PD). If "skiller" is just one pick among all the different types (I count 28 of these), then your chances pretty well suck. And are the higher lvl affixes more difficult to roll up to begin with? Oy vey, my head hurts...

Anyhow, if someone could shed some light on this whole activity, I'd appreciate it. Is it really a method to wealth or an activity for the already wealthy and more akin to gambling (with the odds stacked against you...). Thanks guys!

P.S. would this be more appropriate in the community forums? Don't know if this info is old hat enough to be properly placed in the "newcomers" forum.

2. distancepieman

distancepieman IncGamers Member

Were I a poor guy, I wouldn't put the gems towards charm rolling. I roll small and grand charms from boss/champion packs in the pits, ancient tunnels, WSK, and Pindle, I'd say it takes me a good 12-14 rolls usually to get any type of skiller. That's 36-42 pgems that could easily be used to get ahold of new gear if I were so inclined. Personally, I would place it in the gambling category.

Gamble at an NPC: pick up item, sell item for gold, gamble gold and hope for something good.

Gamble with charms: pick up item, make game, trade item for pgems, roll with charm and hope for the best.

The only difference is the amount you're willing to spend gambling. I find it's a good way to get decent uniques/sets to people that might not be able to afford them otherwise, and it only costs them the time to pick up gems. Not to mention the possibility of making something useful for myself.

To date, my best cube is a cold 38 life skiller. I was happy regardless of how many gems I spent on it.

~Bails

3. Emerald Dragon

Emerald Dragon IncGamers Member

I have never rolled a skill charm myself. But for 3 pgems you could get a skiller worth pul/um.

40 pgems for pul is not really worth it IMO. Sure it is a sure fire way, but you have 13 chances to roll a skiller. I geuss it depends on if you like to play it safe or take risks.

And skillers arn't the only gc's you can roll that are worth something.

4. CookiesnCream

CookiesnCream IncGamers Member

I've rolled a lot of charms and the best one I got was a fire skiller with +24 life. I guess I'm just not lucky, but it is a gamble and it usually doesn't pay off for me. :(

5. Elgar

Elgar IncGamers Member

Its got to be somewhat close for people to actually do it. However, the jackpot may skew the odds. Ive heard 1:15 rolls will get a skiller but im sure thats an approximation.

6. Gaza0469

Gaza0469 IncGamers Member

I used to re-roll grand charms.

Anything after NM flayer jungle can net u a gc which can have a skiller on it.

From memory its more like 22 re-rolls on average to get a skiller.

More popular to re-roll grand charms from Hell baal - slightly worse odds to get a skiller about one in 23 however u can get the much sort after 42 to life mod as a suffix.

once u have all the gear u need from trading Pgems then I would use em as re-rolls as they wont have any other use for ya!