Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question about tele staff

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by IntellectSucks, Jul 5, 2010.

1. IntellectSucks

IntellectSucks IncGamers Member

Question about tele staff

Hey, when you use a staff with Tele Charges on switch, when does the game check your +skills to determine how many skellies you should have?

Having played a lot with a tele staff I have seen the switch kill skellies in a lot of different circumstances:
    1. When the switch causes a loss of +skills over a certain limit (haven't taken the time to nail down the limit)
    2. When I switch, then tele on top of a monster who hits me before I can switch back, instant loss.
    3. When I keep the staff active for too long.
    4. Whenever the hell it feels like it sometimes.

Can anyone clarify when you will or will not lose skellies from a switch?

2. XCodes

XCodes IncGamers Member

Re: Question about tele staff

As soon as you switch, your equipment effectively changes and any skeletons above your cap get lost.

3. IntellectSucks

Sorry, but this is not true. I've done this a million times with varying results.

4. MYK

MYK Diablo: IncGamers Member

I don't think the game updates the character data instantaneously. As you've pointed out, a few things player actions can initiate an update.

5. NoisemakerArrow

NoisemakerArrow IncGamers Member

They rarely die as soon as you switch. Usually it takes a while. I have no idea about the specifics, but the cases you identified I have also encountered numerous times.

6. Gillsing

Gillsing IncGamers Member

My revives tend to get culled immediately when I switch equipment, but skeleton mages and skeletons linger for a bit longer. They seem to have a higher chance of crumbling right after using a town portal though.

7. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock IncGamers Member

It is seemingly random. If you use the Peace runeword on a character with no points in Valkyrie, the ctc Valkyrie will disappear. Sometimes almost instantly, sometimes later. The Valk also seems to unsummon instantly if you take a Town Portal to town. Haven't tried with teleport before. I have read that the game will check every few seconds for this. The mechanics of summoning skeletons and switching to items with fewer + skills is probably the same or very similar.

8. XCodes

XCodes IncGamers Member

I've done it a million times with the exact same results every time. Switch, Crack. Just like that.

9. kardinaal

kardinaal IncGamers Member

There are different issues here, different ways for skellies to disappear:

1) loss of +skills: This gets adjusted the moment you loose the +skills. But you don't get a skelly for every +skill you got, so you might loose one or two, depending on the ammount of +skills you loose and the total lvl of skelly mastery. Test this yourself with a lvl 2 necro, get a point in summon, get 2 skellies up and do the weapon switch, instant death for one of the skellies.

2) wandering off: Sometimes skellies don't teleport back if they're stuck, and if they're far enough from your char they can disappear. This is less of an issue if you're teleporting yourself though.

3) Summoning bug: If you've got no points in a summoning skill yourself but get it from chance to cast (revives, valk), the summon can disappear at any moment.

These are the ones I know off, but there might be more. All these bugs have to do with the game checking your summons on certain actions and/or intervalls.

10. Gillsing

Like I wrote in my previous post, it's not "instant" for me. I use equipment to bring up my skills from 24 to 28, which allows me to have 11 skeletons instead of 10, and 5 mages instead of 3. If I summon 11 skeletons and 5 mages, and then switch over the my primary equipment (need those resistances!), I still have 11 skeletons and 5 mages for a while, even though I shouldn't be able to. With revives it's different. They seem to die instantly while I'm switching equipment.

I have seen skeletons crumble instantly when I remove a starting wand though, but that's been when I never put a point into Raise Skeleton in the first place. And while I've seen golems disappear due to not having the skill on the primary switch, my current fishymancer managed to keep his fire golem despite not having the skill while the wand was on the secondary switch. So I'm not really sure what's up. Is the game too busy to check certain minions? Is it giving my necro the benefit of the doubt for some reason?

11. XCodes

XCodes IncGamers Member

I think you just have lag issues.

12. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

I've had similar cases like Gillsing has.

13. Gillsing

Lag in Single Player? Really? Should I contact Blizzard's support? :scratchchin:

Though, now that you mention it, I have noticed how my system clock sometimes is a whole minute slower or faster than it should be. But no, I don't think that has anything to do with Diablo, as the skeletons aren't on a timer.

And I'm not even sure that the skeletons poof due to my lack of +skills, because I tend to end up in a battle before they're gone, and everyone knows how easy it is for mages to go missing in battles. And if a single skeleton warrior happens to fall, well, that's not unheard of, is it? So there's no telling if those extra skeletons fall in battle or not.

14. XCodes

XCodes IncGamers Member

Yes. Contact Blizzard's support and complain about the name of the polished wand.

Are you playing an old version? Are you actually losing enough +skills to lose a skeleton? Are you playing with any mods? There are countless things that could be happening to explain why your skeletons don't explode as soon as you switch and mine do.

Oh, and yes. My skeletons always, 100% of the time, explode the moment I switch weapons. It's been that way for me for several versions now.

15. Gillsing

I play Vanilla, patch 1.13 and tonight I paid closer attention to my skeletons. While wearing my summoning gear I get one extra warrior and two extra mages, and then I go back to town to look for Jeweler's plate of Amicae and get some free mana after all that summoning. Then I switch to battle gear, exit town and kill some poor super unique who's camping a way point. And then, when I return to town, I hear the crack from surplus skeletons being culled.

Now, this may have something to do with the way I switch my summoning gear. The thing is, I have a Carin Shard on the main weapon switch, because it gives me lots of extra life and mana, and then I use a Rhyme with that. For summoning I first change from my resistance amulet to my Mojo Amulet (sad, huh?) and then grab the Rhyme, click on the switch, put it in the secondary shield switch, click on the switch again and place my +2 necro skill head in the main shield switch so that it can work together with the Carin Shard. That way I get +8 to summoning skills instead of only +4 (I wear a crappy Tarnhelm for that extra +1 that doesn't come from the wand). And when I go back to battle gear I make sure to switch the head first, so that I keep the +2 from the amulet while both the +3 from the wand and the +2 from the head are not in effect.

So, there you have it. I'd make a little video for you, but I don't know how, and I don't have the software for it.

16. XCodes

XCodes IncGamers Member

Ok, so you hit the actual switch switch first, which doesn't reduce your skills enough to lose a skeleton, and then you change your other equipment with causes your Raise Skeleton skill to drop 4 points?

Hmm... it might be the weapon switch button that triggers it.

17. Sickman

Sickman IncGamers Member

my skelly mages die off immediately to the current cap when I switch from my +skill weapon/shield to my mf weapon/shield but my skellies do not.

It's kinda strange, but it happens every single time.

18. IntellectSucks

Can you elaborate on the gear you use? As said in my first post I have encountered issues when the +skills difference was beyond a certain (unknown) point. It sounds to me like you are the one who is the exception not the rule (I'm not saying this in an accusatory tone), so it might help to know what gear you are using to narrow down the possibilities.

If the issue was lag, then the skellies that stayed when they weren't supposed to would not kill monsters, which they do. I too am using current version (1.13) with no mods.

19. XCodes

XCodes IncGamers Member

I think the most recent example where I had a lot of +skills was when I had a Spirit main-hand and Trang Wing off-hand with the rest of the set equipped (net +5 skills). I didn't have anything off-hand, I usually stashed stuff like a Horadric Staff there while omw to Duriel. Every time I hit the weapon switch I'd lose 1 or 2 skeletons.

I think that's the key. The game makes a instant check when you hit the weapon switch, but not when you just change your equipment, like swapping out your amulet.

20. Gillsing

I started playing my melee necro again, and he decided to invest one point each into all the skeleton skills, plus a point in Revive. That way he could summon up a few sturdy tanks to help keep the merc and golem alive. Normally he can maintain 3 revives due to a +1 amulet and another +1 from Silks of the Victor (ho ho, that used to be a cool armor back when it was the only armor that had +skills). But he's also got a +2 dagger on switch, so at times he can bring up 5 revives. Though usually he only gets four, because that's when he runs out of mana, and I just don't feel a pressing need for a fifth one as he usually switches back to the Crainte Vomir to do some culling of the horde.

However, guess what happens when he does switch back? Yup. Four revives remain. It might take the game quite some time to reduce the number to three, and the only time I can be sure that it's doing it because there are too many revives, and not because one of them got lost like they usually do, is when I switch areas. Kind of strange, really. But I'm not complaining. I save that for exploding bone dolls. The game would be so much more fun and enjoyable without those.