Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

question about staves and +skills

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Lyndis, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

question about staves and +skills

Hi all, I'm new here, and had just created my first character online 2 days ago. I've done some reading and have played offline so I know the basics, but I a dummy when it comes to item generation and levels and I don't know all those abbreviations like clvl and mlvl.

Anyhow, my first char is a sorc becuase I think she is the least item-dependant, and I think a fireball/forzen orb sorc is the way to go. Currently I just got the act 3 normal, and I'm wondering if Drognan in act2 normal is capable of selling a non-magical staff of +3 to fireball with 2 socket? If not, where should I go to shop for it? I think it might be pretty kickass with the Leaf runeword, and I want to have the staff ready for when I finally get a Tal rune ^^

On another note, can someone point me to the list of new runeswords in the newest patch?

2. lagalot

lagalot IncGamers Member

Not sure about the +3 fireball staff from drognan but Id say youd be close to getting one there.
    For a full list of runewords go to arreat summit andlink to runewords at the top of the page.They have original 1.10 and 1.11 full list.

3. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/runewords.shtml <- linky

Also, I think most staffs sold by drognan are magical, thus cannot be runeword-ed. I think your best bet would be running/cleaning the ground in cowruns on normal/(nightmare/hell)?, picking up every short staff you find, since they can get max 2 sockets, and hope for good mods.

4. Grumpy Old Wizard

Grumpy Old Wizard IncGamers Member

Yes, he can sell such a staff! Some good 2 socketed staffs to get from him are +3 fireball, +3 firewall, +3 enchant (give your merc some help, eh?) You can get other useful secondary mods on them as well.

Run in and out of the trapdoor to Radament to reset his inventory and you can reset his inventory quickly.

Leaf is Tir-Ral. You can obtain (or easily cube) both of those runes from normal countess, so do some countess runes.

Look here (blizzard's D2 strategy site) for runewords and other good information:
    http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/runewords-110.shtml

5. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

Thanks. Can someone give me a quick run-thru of how shops generate items, so I know exactly what difficulty I must shop in and what level I should be at to have the most chances of getting the mods I want?

For example I'm guessing that if I take a really high level sorc (not that I have one right now :p) to go shopping, maybe she'll be able to find +3 to fire mastery or hydra as well, which I don't want, and will just decrease my chances of finding a staff with +3 fireball.

6. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Welcome to the forums and the Sorceress forum :)

You can make an effective Sorc without to many items, but the more +skills you can get the better she will be ;)

+1-3 Fireball with 2 sockets you shuld be able to get at Akara, but i don't think before you are past lvl12 at which you are able to get Fireball yourself. I bought one from Akara with +1 Firewall some bit past lvl18.

I guess RTB could fill us in on all the details of item generation.

It will take you a while to get a nice 2socket grey staff from Akara, but you simple exit town via waypoint or townexit and run back in. That's when the items in her stash will reroll so you can see new ones.

Leaf really is a great helper in early levels, just as well as "Stealth" armor (TAL+ETH) and "Lore" Helmet (ORT+SOL). Also what you want to have and can use from lvl25 onwards is "Sprit" runeword in a crystal sword or broadsword. You will have to find one while questing or killing mobs as a drop though. Those cannot be bought. Spirit in a sword really really really helps alot! :D But before i had spirit i used Leaf.

Fireball/Frozen Orb Sorceress is the standard stock build to start out fresh. The build is also called "Meteorb"(a bit misleading since you will mostly use Fireball and Frozen Orb). Read up on Sasja's guide in the Sorceress Guide Library stickied at the top.

7. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

I don't even have a Tal rune yet. Should I go back to the countess and kill her a lot?

thanks for the welcome

8. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Killing The Countess will certainly net you those runes you need for Leaf, Stealth, Lore and also for Spirit. Also don't forget about Insight for your Merc. Polearms with 4so can drop quite early, even if its only a scythe.

9. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

If you are so inclined, this link will tell you all about item generation. Remember to take a valium before you start reading it.

I can't remember the specifics, but only chars up to level 25 (or thereabouts) can gamble white items. Beyond that, all items that are shopped will always spawn as magical. If you really want that 2 os white +3 FBall staff, you'll have to shop with a clvl 12-ish and above, but probably no higher than 20; 25 at the very highest.