Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

question about +skill charms

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Malodium, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Malodium

Malodium IncGamers Member

question about +skill charms

From what I gather if you find a grand charm that is the appropriate level, you can combine it with three perfect gems to get a new one that hopefully has pluses to skills on it correct?
    So I found a charm that said it required lev 69 or above to use (grand charm of vita) and combined it with 3 perfect gems and got a grand charm that adds 1-3 cold damage, and is lev 5. I wasn't aware that it could change levels, and is it now a throwaway charm? I take it since its not high enough level anymore I can't get a +skill charm from it anymore?

Im confused.

2. mumba

mumba Banned

The reason why u get a high level charm is because then u know it has a chance to reroll a skiller with life. But thru the order of rerolling u will get crap rolls like the one u got. But that doesnt change the fact that it was initially a high level item, so if u keep rerolling it u have a chance of gettin a skiller with life.

Unlike low level charms that no matter how many times u reroll it, u will never get that high stats.

3. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

Any charm capable of becoming a skiller automatically is high enough to spawn with some amount of life. The high level charms (ie. Baal, Nihlathak, Diablo) are there for the even higher 41-45 life suffix.

4. Malodium

Malodium IncGamers Member

Ahh ok, so somewhere in the data for that item its still flagged as a high lev item even though its currently usable by low lev chars? Strange.

Do I have as good of a chance with it to get +skills as I would with a Baal or Diablo dropped charm? Ive never seen one from those guys...

5. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

stats on the charm have nothing to do with the charm item level,which is fixed at the moment the charm is dropped by a monster

dia,nihlathak,baal gcs are usualyl best for mixing since they can get the 41-45 life suffix ("normal" charms only up to 40)

6. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

It's not strange. Imagine if hell Baal dropped a +1 life grand charm. It still has a very high ilvl (item level), it just has a mod that happens to have a low character level required. There's nothing special about charms from bosses, other than a very high ilvl.

7. SirDooFuss

SirDooFuss IncGamers Member

Blizzard has chosen not to show us the ilvl of an item (charm). The only way to know the ilvl is if you find the charm yourself (Baal, etc) or if the item happens to have a high level requirement. Eighty three is the highest level requirement for a charm (do NOT ask me about the SoH!!!).

A "Baal charm" can spawn with any mods in the game. From the absolute worst and worthless to the best and most valuable and everything in between. Obviously you could burn hundreds of pgems rerolling such a charm and end up with nothing of value whatsoever...but there's a chance...
    People that want plain unmodded skillers reroll grand charms found in nightmare act 3, especially Kurast Bazar to Travincal IIRC, since that ilvl is where skillers first become an option.

Good Luck!

8. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

Or play Single Player, where you can use ATMA to view an item's level.

- Noodle

9. erzk

erzk IncGamers Member

I made a baal run with 8 ppl playing, a charm dropped when baal was killed... it had only some low cold damage so I was thinking, maybe someone threw it away just as baal died to fit more space for items... But then again, why would someone on hell difficulty killing baal keep such a charm in equip? ... I had 6 pgems in my stash at the moment and I thought.. what the heck I give it a shot... The result of the FIRST roll was a pala combat skiller with +6 strength =) I sold it for two ists and was very happy :D

10. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

However that charm could have been rolled even if it wasn't a baal charm. :)

11. SirDooFuss

SirDooFuss IncGamers Member

THAT'S what's important!!!

Noodle: Yeah, ATMA rocks for SP. You guys got /players 8 and re-runable maps too.

Maybe v1.12?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!:wink2:

12. templecrasher

templecrasher IncGamers Member

I hate you now...but not really. I actually hate the thousands of pgems I have rerolled charms with. The best I ever got was a PnB with 7% run/walk. All I wanted was a Pcomb lifer...is that so much to ask?

13. erzk

erzk IncGamers Member

templecrasher, I understand you, I was determined to stop re-rolling after my six pgems was out on that char, and the first roll gives me a pala combat skiller, I was lucky as hell I guess but the luck turned on me... I'm pretty much a noob and someone in the chat told me to check my blizzrate... I made some weird /dnd message including my pw and the next day, my acc had been emptied on chars... First I didn't know what to think then I remembered maybe someone got hold of my pw... =(

14. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

That's exactly what happened. DND=do not disturb. After you type your password, the scammer simply messages you, and he gets an autoreply, which of course, contains your password.
    You should read the scam sticky stickied up top so you can avoid being scammed in the future.

15. templecrasher

templecrasher IncGamers Member

Please understand, I meant no actual hatred towards you. I was just airing out my frustration with rolling (killed another 150 gems last night with only a Warcry 7%R/W to show for it). I am sorry to hear of your loss, it is a shame that people have to cheat/steal/scam to enjoy a video game. If you heed Evrae's advice and read that sticky you will see the various methods these scumbags use to get your hard-earned loot. Good luck rebuilding, and I hope this does not cause you to lose faith in DII altogether.

16. erzk

erzk IncGamers Member

oh I didn't take it as any hate mate =) Thanks for advice, I'll look through that sticky! I'm already rebuilding :)