Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question about Sanctuary aura on Lawbringer/Azurewrath ifr

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Fabian, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Fabian

Fabian IncGamers Member

Question about Sanctuary aura on Lawbringer/Azurewrath

Just a quick question really. An act III or act V merc wearing either Lawbringer or Azurewrath won't affect my character in any way, right? That is, I won't get the huge +ED to Undead the Sanctuary aura gives, only the merc?

If so, why is this not the case with stuff like Insight, Infinity, Faith, etc on Act II and Act I mercs?

Finally, is there any way for a Barbarian to gain the benefit from a Sanctuary aura in the game without actually wearing the Sword yourself?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  2. Pijus

Pijus IncGamers Member

Re: Question about Sanctuary aura on Lawbringer/Azurewrath

I think Sanctuary works like Holy Freeze or Holy Shock. It pings enemies and it adds a bonus to the user of the aura. It simply wasn't meant to use on friendly players :D

3. Frowzor

Frowzor IncGamers Member

It won't give you +ED versus undead even if you're a paladin using it yourself, because that's not how it works. All sanctuary does is knockback in a radius that doesn't actually damage them like the other pulse auras do (this is the only thing that's modified by the aura level, the radius of the knockback) and it sets undead's physical resistance to 0.

Edit: After a quick test I can confirm that the PI-negation does not work for your character with lawbringer on a barb merc.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  4. Gillsing

Gillsing IncGamers Member

I recently started to play my melee necro and he's got a barbarian as a mercenary. Probably because I wanted to see some use for that cruel colossus sword I cubed back then. (He still needs more levels to wield it though, and that's with a +40 strength socketed plate.) But given that Act II mercenaries are much better I could use an excuse to keep the barbarian, despite the fact that my melee necro really could use some Blessed Aim or Might.

And a nice Sanctuary aura might be it! However, that 'physical resistance set to zero' thing got me thinking. Would this nullify the effect from Amplify Damage? Or will the game pick the resistance that is worse for the undead monster? And what's with the thing I read about the +ED being given to the monsters, increasing their damage against undeads? That wouldn't be very nice for my revives.

5. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

As Frowzor said. Sanctuary sets the physical resistances of all undead to 0. This happens last, if amplify has already reduced their resistance to say -50% first then it will remain at that. It only works for the originator of the aura period. It won't effect your revives as they are not the enemy, its an offensive aura.

6. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

The damage to undead mod on sanctuary does not work. It gets applied to the monsters, not the players. I have not tested it to see if monsters do increased damage to necromancers summons or to the returned that Faith/Tomb Reaver spawn, but it would be fun to know.

I have tried lawbringer in CS, but have found a second grief to be better on m ww'er. Against gloams though, lawbringer wins by alot. If you are frenzy though, lawbringer's decrip is awfully powerful and fun to play around with, so I think it would be a toss up.

7. BobTheWarrior

BobTheWarrior IncGamers Member

The %ED to Undead is bugged. Link

8. Gillsing

Yup, that's what I remember reading, that the monsters get to do extra damage to undead, but paladins usually don't notice since they're not undead. I guess it might be fun to combine a high level Sanctuary aura with Thorns though, since that'd get a nice 10x10=100 effect, but if both the converted monsters have 50% physical resistance, it'd be more like 5x5=25, which is not nearly as impressive. Would probably work really well with Amplify Damage against a cursed super unique though, because if both sides get -50% Physical resistance, that'd bring the damage up to 15x15=225. (Rough estimate. I didn't bother checking the actual %ED for Sanctuary or the level that Azurewrath provides, and while Thorns deal +1010% returned damage at slvl 20, a paladin wouldn't need to settle for slvl 20.)

9. Pijus

Pijus IncGamers Member

Interesting idea. Get a necromancer with an edge bow and a barb merc with lawbringer. Boom, Awesome!

You could also spam Amp to overwrite lawbringers decrep. Someone should try this. I don't have the runes for it :p

10. Jason Maher

Jason Maher IncGamers Member

Yet another facepalm moment from Blizzard?

11. Gillsing

Huh. Didn't think about that, but yeah, that'd of course work a lot better than a single paladin who has to convert undead and apply Amplify Damage with the Lacerator. And if you've got Edge you could conceivably get Bramble too, and stack the Thorns auras. Right? And with the base physical resistance of skeletons being 0%, you'd do really well even when there isn't a cursed super unique around. Definitely looks like something worth trying. And by the time I get Azurewrath or the runes for Bramble, I'm sure that Blizzard will have made the 1.14 patch and graciously allowed Single Player to access Ladder runewords. :whistling:

12. Kilraen

Kilraen IncGamers Member

You already can access Ladder Runewords. There's a mod called RWM. Just install it to use Ladder Only Runewords.

If only there was a mod to get Ladder only items in SP *sigh*

13. Frowzor

Frowzor IncGamers Member

@Kilraen: You can get "Ladder Only" items in SP without any mods at all. They drop normally like any other item.

14. Gillsing

I know about the mod, but as long as Blizzard thinks that Single Player should do without those relatively cheap and powerful runewords, I'm going to do without them. I don't know why Blizzard chose to restrict those runewords to Ladder, when both cube recipes and uniques are the same for Ladder and Single Player. Perhaps they feel that you only need those runewords to help with the special events that Single Player doesn't have, or perhaps they want to give new players an incentive to play online instead of offline? Which in turn would give these players an incentive to buy the game instead of pirating it, if that's still done.