Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question about Resists/Absorb

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by RikerKirk, Apr 17, 2005.

1. RikerKirk

RikerKirk IncGamers Member

Question about Resists/Absorb

Not quite clear on this.

If I have 75% cold resist and I wear a Ravenfrost Ring (20% absorb), would I take zero damage from any cold attack?

Also, I am not clear under what circumstances/resist levels I would gain hps from an attack.

Thanks for the help.

2. shermo

shermo IncGamers Member

If I have 75% cold resist and I wear a Ravenfrost Ring (20% absorb), would I take zero damage from any cold attack?

Unfortunately not. The 75% cr reduces any cold damage you take to 25% of what it would have been. Then the absorb is applied. You'd end up taking 60% of 25% dmg = 15%. Be careful though, the damage is taken first and then the absorb is added to your health. If taking the damage drops you below 0 hp you die.

Also, I am not clear under what circumstances/resist levels I would gain hps from an attack.

I'm not clear what you mean.

3. RikerKirk

thanks for the quick response,

by my 2nd question I mean:

What combination of resists and absorb amounts would result in a positive gain of hps from an attack?

or does the fact that the absorb apparantly works after resists make that impossible?

4. shermo

shermo IncGamers Member

there's 2 different sorts of absorb; percentage and, for lack of a better word, non-percentage. For example T gods has +20 absorb (non-percentage). This means that 20 points of lightning are added to your health instead of taken. Again this type of absorb works after resists have been taken into account.

IIRC % is capped at 40%, so you can't gain health from that. However the other sort isn't capped and you can get enough of that to gain health from it. How much you need depends on which attack you're facing. Wearing a tgods and having 85% lr will render you almost gloam-proof

5. RikerKirk

thanks Shermo, very helpful

6. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

I believe that is a small mistake here.

Absorb works like this:

1. First resist apply
    2. if your HP < full, then absorb add the amount to your health. it cannot add more than your full health, eg you have 999 HP, and full HP is 1000, regardless how much absorb you have, it only add 1.
    3. then the damage is applied as: damage - absorb amount = final damage

Fixed absorb (eg Tgod) apply before % absorb.

eg. you char has 1000 full HP, 75% resist, 20% absorb and 10 absorb (straight number), and you are facing a 1000 damage

1) if you char has full HP, the damage you will take: 25% of 1000 = 250, then straight absorb reduces it to 240, then % absorb reduces it to 192. the final effective damage = 192.

2) if your char HP < 1000, say 950, after resist, straight absort first add 10 to your HP, then reduces damage to 240, % absorb add your HP to full (it can add upto 48, however, 40 will make full, so it will add 40), then reduces damage to 192, the final effective damage is 192-50=142

3) if your char HP is lower than 942, the final damage will be 134 (absorb adds 58 HP first, then reduces 58 damage).

7. Insane Wayne

Insane Wayne IncGamers Member

I can't assist with the mathematical discussion, but I can provide an example of healing. I have a Tankazon with 75 Lightning Resist (Hell difficulty) wearing Blackhorn's Face (+20 lightning absorb). I just took her for a stroll through the Durance, and the game was kind enough to provide a Holy Shock LE Doll Pack.

I cast a valk on the boss, and danced around to intercept the bolts. As they hit me I began to heal in spurts. Sometimes I healed a couple points (perhaps from the Aura bursts), other times my life quickly climbed about 20 points. When I jumped into the bolt "stream", it was like drinking a potion.

Each of Bremm's bolts healed me 19-20 points, likewise for Wyand (FELE) and a LE Blood Lord. I was chomping bolts like Pac-Man pellets.

edit: ran around the Blood Moor and noticed bolts from a LE Quill Boss healed +17. So perhaps, the stronger the Charged Bolt, the more healing it provides?

8. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

In order to get "heal", you will need to be lower than full HP, and the absorb + reduction > damage.

Say each bolt does 100 damage, after your 75% resist, each bolt only does 25 damage. If your life is lower than full HP, your absorb can heal upto 20 HP first, and than the damage reduced to 5 only!!!! This produce final result of healing 15 instead of damage you.

lit bolt dese small amount of damage, so it may well heal you.

The best example to understand absorb is to take a pack of gloams. They can do normal lit damage between 190 - 300, and have a chance to double the damage.

In the worst case (normal gloam without aura/curse), say 600 damage per bolt. Your 75% resist will reduce it to 150, then in best case, your lit absorb will effectively reduce it to 110.

your 75% resist + resist will not heal you vs gloams, regardless which damage they deal. 25% of 190 ->47.5 (does the game round up or down?). Your 20 absorb will does best 40 reduce, so you will take a small amount of damage, but never heal. Increase more absorb and/or resist will result in heal in some case.