Question about Pride for Merc

safetypro

Diabloii.Net Member
Question about Pride for Merc

I've been looking at Pride as a possible weapon for my Werebear's Merc. I like the Concentration aura and the effect that it will have on my damage as well as the summons however, there is no enhanced damage mod in the runeword and I'm worried that my merc will not do enough damage to make him viable. Does anyone have experience using Pride on their merc? If so, could you please share your thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
safetypro

LorveN

D3 Off Topic Moderator
Mercs do decent damage, no matter what stick you put on them. Though, using pride, you can not rely on the merc killing enemies for you.
As long as the merc has a bunch of lifesteal, good def/fhr and resists, they usually survive. Good armors are for example coh, shaft, stone. Dont bother with fortitude, since your top prio should keeping him alive, not boosting his damage (which is still low compared to other mercs)

superjayson

Diabloii.Net Member
My bear uses Pride in a 15%ED sup/eth CV, with andy's/duress equiped on the rest he doesn't kill alot as his damage is only around 3-4k, but he can tank well.

EzkiMo

Diabloii.Net Member
The damage with Forti, pride and don't-remember-what-helm should be around 3-4k (Not a might merc though...)

Queen Mebd

Diabloii.Net Member
Another alternative could an act 5 barbarian carrying a Last Wish. The might on there will boost your damage, and the life tap going of will make everyone happy (just make sure the merc has some ias for the curse to proc with some frequency). Granted you'll be losing out on the potential aura, losing out holy freeze could seem detrimental, but keep in mind you have shockwave, the best pvm skill ever.

superjayson

Diabloii.Net Member
Another alternative could an act 5 barbarian carrying a Last Wish. The might on there will boost your damage, and the life tap going of will make everyone happy (just make sure the merc has some ias for the curse to proc with some frequency). Granted you'll be losing out on the potential aura, losing out holy freeze could seem detrimental, but keep in mind you have shockwave, the best pvm skill ever.
Word.
I know I use to use pride on an act 2 merc for my bear, but honestly.. screw act 2 mercs. Get an act 5 one with last wish and he'll have alot more life, alot more damage, boost your own damage alot more and be a much better tank.

WRcheza

Diabloii.Net Member
get an act2 might merc + pride. your damage will skyrocket. you'll lose the holyfreeze, but if you have shockwave, what's the point?

WRcheza

Diabloii.Net Member
act5 merc = dead meat vs im in baal runs
act2 merc with pride = not dead while boosting your dmg even higher

safetypro

Diabloii.Net Member
I think reapers is a better choice. Or infinity.
Wow, talk about resurrecting old threads; I started this topic last November.
This was for my hunger werebear build AKA Mighty Kodiak who has long since reached Patriarchdom. I ended up using Infinity on that merc which assisted in lowering the elemental resistances for my werebear's weapon setup (IK Maul with 3 other IK parts). In afterthought, I think Pride would have been a good choice for that build. I've since used Pride with another character that has also reached Patriarch status; a Hunter Firementalist. This was an interesting build as I combined Faith, an act 2 Might Merc and Pride to give three auras (Fanatism, Might and Concentration). My merc handled the higher levels with no difficulty.
From my experience, I would recommend the use of Pride for anyone who might be considering it for a melee build. I think it is especially useful when there are more party members who can benefit from the aura (eg.. summons like dire wolves or grizzly, merc and main character).
I like Queen Mebd's suggestion for an act 5 merc using lastwish. I'll need to crunch some numbers to see how the merc can get some IAS but, it looks promising enough to try. It would have to be in a phase blade of course for the -30 attack speed. Maybe one of our more astute budding mathematicians can crunch the numbers for us and list some possible gear options that contain IAS. Andy's has 20% IAS and possibly 35% if socketted with a Ruby Jewel of Fervor (+30% Fire Resistance/15% IAS).

superjayson

Diabloii.Net Member
I like Queen Mebd's suggestion for an act 5 merc using lastwish. I'll need to crunch some numbers to see how the merc can get some IAS but, it looks promising enough to try. It would have to be in a phase blade of course for the -30 attack speed. Maybe one of our more astute budding mathematicians can crunch the numbers for us and list some possible gear options that contain IAS. Andy's has 20% IAS and possibly 35% if socketted with a Ruby Jewel of Fervor (+30% Fire Resistance/15% IAS).
I have an act 5 merc with a last wish, arreats and fortitude. With my werebear he can get up over 10k damage and some decent life. I have no extra IAS on the merc and he does just fine.