Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question about Poison Damage

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Porius, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Porius

Porius IncGamers Member

Question about Poison Damage

I seem to recall someone posting that they had found a Pestilent Small Charm of Anthrax (I believe) that had over 500 poison damage. I must be confused, as Pestilent gives 255 poison damage over 8 seconds, and Anthrax gives something like 50 poison damage over 4 seconds.

I must be missing something, here. Is the rate of poison damage added and then the poison time added as well, as opposed to averaged? If I found a Pestilent Bow (of some sort) of Anthrax, how much poison damage would it have? What if I socketed 3 P. Emeralds into it (say I used cubed this bow), then what would I get?

I'm so confused... :(

Porius

2. Gengis Chuck

Gengis Chuck IncGamers Member

On small charms:
    Pestilent = 175pd over 6 seconds = 29.17pd/s
    Anthrax = 50pd over 6 seconds = 8.33pd/s

So combined it would 37.5 pd/s for 12 seconds = 450 total pd

3. Gengis Chuck

Gengis Chuck IncGamers Member

A Pestilent Bow of Anthrax with 3 P-Emeralds:
    Pestilent = 275pd over 6 seconds = 45.83pd/s
    Anthrax = 100pd over 6 seconds = 16.67pd/s
    The bow would be 750pd over 12 seconds at 62.5pd/s

Then the Emeralds:
    P-Emerald = 100pd over 7 seconds = 14.29pd/s

You need to average the time since the gems are considered separate sources = (12 + 7 + 7 + 7) / 4 = 8.25 seconds at 105.37pd/s (62.5+14.29+14.29+14.29).

With the way the game averages the display the bow would read something very close to: 869 Poison Damage over 8 seconds.

Although I think you can only get up to 2 sockets with the new cubing recipes, but I'm not sure.

4. Porius

Porius IncGamers Member

Ah... I thought it was 37.5 pd/s for 6 seconds = 225 total pd.

So, lets say I started cubing crusader bows and got a Pestilent (275 pd over 6 seconds) Crusader Bow of Anthrax (25 pd over 2 seconds).

So, the combined rate is 42.5+12.5 pd/s = 55 pd/s, but is the time 8 seconds for 440 pd total? The other way the damage actually drops, which doesn't make any sense.

Now for the really sticky part: What if I socket 3 P. Emeralds into this bow?

Then, the total rates are:
    Pestilent 42.5 pd/s over 6 seconds
    of Anthrax 12.5 pd/s over 2 seconds
    P. Emeralds 12.5 pd/s over 8 seconds (x3)

So, are we talking about a rate of 92.5 pd/s over 8 seconds (8 from the bow, 8 from the emeralds, averaged), 32 seconds (add them all up), or some other number? It makes a huge difference (obviously) to the amount of total damage I would be doing.

Porius

Edit: Posted after the excellent explanation above. I really must type faster.

5. Porius

Porius IncGamers Member

Wow, those P. Emeralds didn't do much to help the actual damage of the bow, did they? Just over 100 damage from 3 perfect gems isn't too great, is it? Perhaps it would be better to put something else in the sockets.

In looking at jewels, it doesn't appear that they can have any poison modifier other than Envy (20 pd over 2 seconds). Is that correct?

Porius

6. Pucho

Pucho Banned

IIRC envy is the only poison affix you can get in a jewel

7. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

If you have a "multiple poison mods on a single item" like Pestilent Bow/Sword/Charm of Anthrax, you actually don't really want to go mixing other, weaker posion sources with it.

Blizzard had a (crazy) bug in their first implementation of posion combination, which allowed really quite outrageous total damages. Unfortunately in 1.10 they overfixed it so now you don't even get the amount you deserve.

If you follow Gengis' excellent calculation above, you will see that with separate sources you now add the rates and average the durations. In 1.09, with ranged posion you would actually add the rates and add the durations (you still do this for multiple poison mods on a single source).

The way they should have done it is to add the rates and add the totals, and get the durations by dividing total/rate. That way you get both the rate and the total damage you are entitled to. Ah well. Maybe next patch.

8. Artemis

Artemis IncGamers Member

Tal runes will give higher damage per second than Emeralds would. With their lower duration, they would also lower the average time.

9. csarmi

csarmi Banned

Total damage is completely irrelevant in 99.99999% of the cases, only damage per second is what matters. That gets higher by each poison source.

There are some off cals in this thread, anyways.

10. csarmi

csarmi Banned

I think your best bet is to get a 6 socket bow filled by Tal runes.
    Plus a lot of small charms.

11. Pucho

Pucho Banned