Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question about Pala block percentage

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by YelgisDarej, May 5, 2005.

1. YelgisDarej

YelgisDarej IncGamers Member

Question about Pala block percentage

"Chance to Block

This is the formula:

Total Blocking = (Blocking * (Dexterity - 15)) / (Character Level * 2)

Where Blocking is (Shield Blocking + Holy Shield bonus) if you are using Holy Shield. Notice that even if you won’t be shown more than 75% blocking in your shield, its base chance to block might be higher (for example, Stormshield has 77% chance to block, and Herald of Zakarum has 82% chance to block for paladins, those are the numbers that you have to use)" -- straight from pala handbook by Ragnarod

Ok I understand how to calculate dex needed at a certain level to reach max block and I understand some shield can get higher then 75% even though they don't list higher on the char screen.

What I want to make a little more clear is the Shield Block + Holy shield part of the equation and find out what is the max block percentage one can reach.

First what is the true block percentage cap? Is it 75% for all shields except ones with higher bases like HoZ and SS or is it always (shield block) + HS (ie 60% shield + 25% from HS = 85% to block) and if so is the cap at the 95% hard cap (since there is always a 5% to not block or not hit no matter how high a stat or attribute is).

Here is what I am asking... I have a Spirit Gilded shield with 52% base to black and my HS gives 33% chance so in according to this equation I could reach 85% blockrate if i had enough dex even though it would only list as 75 on the char screen?

2. Fallen Creation

Fallen Creation IncGamers Member

You can only have 75% block.

3. YelgisDarej

YelgisDarej IncGamers Member

Are you sure the paladin guide i got that excerpt from states that certain shields have higher then the 75% block such as Herald Of Zakarum which has 82% and that you can get over 75% using shields like that. It just shows it capped at 75 on the char screen even though it is higher.

4. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 IncGamers Member

The SHIELD's raw blocking percentage can get over 75% but your CHARACTER's actual block cannot exceed 75%. The game crunches your shield's block, holy shield, dex, and char level THEN determines your character's actual in-game block.

5. wookie919

wookie919 IncGamers Member

I've always wondered who the man in the photo is in your avatar. Is it Keanu Reeves by any chance?

Err... Sorry for thread hijack, but I think the question is already answered... :D

6. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 IncGamers Member

Tony Leung Chiu Wai, HK actor. I'm a big fan of his, especially when he teams up with Wong Kar-Wai.

The photo itself is a screenshot from In The Mood For Love (cropped, gray-scaled and contrast boosted).