Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question about MP'ing with IP

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by JoeBruce, Oct 5, 2006.

1. JoeBruce

JoeBruce IncGamers Member

Question about MP'ing with IP

So I don't remember if I've ever successfully set up a D2 game using an IP address, but right now I'm having some issues.

I connect to the Internet through a router, so the displayed IP address is a local one (192.168.0.x). Is there a way I can connect through IP with someone not on my network by using some other IP? I'm not too savvy with these issues, and don't know what to do. Any ideas?

2. silospen

silospen IncGamers Member

3. JoeBruce

Yeah I have a tendency to ask a question and then go look for an answer... but after a little time searching the forums I found out about port fowarding and Hamachi. Haven't tried Hamachi yet, because I'd rather not go through another 3rd party program.

But a question about forwarding (I already went through the site's instructions). Do both people need to add the ports? Also, and perhaps more importantly. Do I use my local address or the local address of the person I want to forward to? (ie. if mine is 4 and his is 6, which IP do I use when adding the port)

Thanks for any additional help.

4. silospen

silospen IncGamers Member

No, I believe only the host of the game needs to forward ports. Remember a firewall is designed to be far more secure on the way in than the way out :)

The person you want to forward to should be your computer, the 192.168.0.x. You arent at all concerned with his computer, all you need to do is make sure that if your router firewall finds D2 knocking on its door, it forwards the knocks to your PC.

If that makes no sense its because i'm on my way to bed :p

5. JoeBruce

Ok I got it figured out. Thanks for the help.

Is there a way to delete threads? This one is kind of irrelevant now...

6. Suiling

Suiling Banned

Easiest way. Download hamachi and use it to mp. I found it very easy to use.