Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question about MF

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Grejhulta, May 8, 2008.

1. Grejhulta

Grejhulta IncGamers Member

Question about MF

Have searched a little on my question but didnt found anything so i ask here instead.
    Does the chance to drop better items increase if there are more players in the game?

2. carnivore

carnivore IncGamers Member

Re: Question about MF

no.

more players lead to more drops, but those drops arent necessarily better. of course the higher number of drops mean, that you have an overall higher chance of getting something useful.

basically it always comes down to this:
    - as much mf as possible without sacrificing any killing speed
    - as much players as possible without losing more killing speed than the number of drops have increased.

on a side note:
    mf doesnt make your drops better, it only heightens the chances of an item to be unique, rare, set, magical.

3. Alc

Alc IncGamers Member

I've noticed that the answer to this question is usually a circuitous no-then-yes, and I'm not sure why it's framed as such. He asked if "the chance to drop better items increase if there are more players in the game?" and the answer is yes, the chance for better items does increase when there are more drops, and more players = more drops. The real issue, as you point out, is whether or not killing speed can be maintained.

4. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

People don't answer that way because it causes possible confusion. More players does not increase MF. A plain answer of yes could be interpreted that way.

You may say it's splitting hairs, but it's really being accurate and complete, instead of glossing over things. Many a false rumor has started in this game by a responder glossing over an answer ambiguously and the questioner (or another reader) not understanding the full scope of the answer. That's how we had people arguing over how characters have base 100% MF or base 0% MF.

5. Anthraquinone

Anthraquinone IncGamers Member

AFAIK, all that happens is that with more players the no-drop chance decreases.

-AnQ

6. nerdly

nerdly IncGamers Member

Isn't there a difference between chance and frequency? I think more drops will increase the frequency of "better" items dropping, or rarer, at any rate, however I don't believe the actual chance per item (or just chance) to be a better item is affected at all.

Statisticians and probability experts please?

7. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

The better phrasing would be:

"Having more players in the game does not increase the odds of a monster dropping a better item, however, the amount of drops increases, and, as such, the chance to find a good item is higher".

BTW, nerdly, frequency is partly a result of a chance - if an item has a 20% chance to drop, it will drop with a rough frequency of once per 5 drops - closer and closer to the actual chance with the increased number of drops, as the deviations become smaller and smaller, eventually to decrease to irrelevantly small numbers.

Not to say that "frequency" is only used to determine the chance of an event - we do use "frequecy" in wave studies etc.

8. nerdly

nerdly IncGamers Member

Which is the only way I've ever used it, specifcally atm in the Schrodinger equation. That makes sense, though, now that I think about it, that frequency would be dependent on chance.

9. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I would have written what carnivore wrote, without using the word yes or no :azn: From a logical port of view it's a yes.

I'm sure that we can solve the issue without applying quantum mechanics :azn:

BTW, the name of that guy is Schrödinger. Sorry for being nerdly, nerdly :laughing:

10. Alc

Alc IncGamers Member

I completely agree, a full answer should be given. I just think it's a bit odd to start with "no" if you're going to reverse that by the end. That is confusing. Nothing against the content of carnivore's post (it was detailed and accurate), it was more of an observation on how I've seen this question answered before that puzzled me slightly.

11. carnivore

carnivore IncGamers Member

i answered "no" because of two reasons:
    1. to get the attention by the reader. a "yes" would have been more satisfactory, so there wouldnt have been as much reason to read, understand and keep in m,ind the rest of the post.

2. i interpreted the ops question towards the outcome of a single item dropping, because this is the point where most of mf-misconceptions lie.

maybe we should start to distinguish the three chances that could be looked at:

1. chance for a specific single item drop to be "better"
    2. chance for an overall drop of a single kill to be "better"
    3. chance for drops being better in a specific time frame

if we look at the original question in regards of those three chances, the answers would be:
    1. number of players have no effect (the reason why i said "no")
    2. numbers of players would have an effect by increasing the base number of possible drops (this would mean "yes")
    3. this is clearly what counts and as clearly answered as "it depends on how fast you can kill in games with more players compared to single player games"

and another important factor:
    which also means:
    if you define "better drops" as items that only drop once every few millions kills, your deviation from the average frequency would be so high, that it all comes down to luck anyway.
    or in other words: putting on lots of mf when you look specifically for a tyraels might is like playing the lottery in hope for the 10 million € price with two tickets instead of one.

12. nerdly

nerdly IncGamers Member

We can, but why would we want to? :shocked:

And yes I know that with a name like this I should know every ASCII and eASCII code by heart, not to mention type it all on a Chinese keyboard using a Korean character set, then using my translation programs to make it English, because more testing is always better. Unfortunaly I'm more lazy than nerdly, and so the umlaut will remain a mystery to me.

13. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Regarding the umlaut, I just made the comment to have an excuse for the word play :grin: