Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

question about mf

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by xshanex, Mar 21, 2004.

1. xshanex

xshanex IncGamers Member

question about mf

hi
    i'm a meteorb sorc that does purely mf
    i have around 606 mf at the moment and was wonder if it would make much of a diff in mfing if i made a quad istd monarch
    is the jump from 606 - 726 worth it?
    thanks

2. JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS

JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS Banned

Not really worth it imo, I would get to about 450-500 mf max, and having your best killing power is better than weak sorc and high mf.

3. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

And what about a strong sorc with high MF? Do not blindly copy numbers, it all depends on your build and your items. If you can kill easilly with maximum MF, then do it. High MF% is ALWAYS better then a lower MF%. You should ONLY scale down MF% when you're unable or have trouble to kill something.

So please stop with the "500% or whatever number MF% is best" posts. MF% and killing speed and ability are totally unrelated. You can't say that a person can kill faster with less MF%, or that a char is too weak with high MF%, because you simply don't know the char, the equipement and the MF situation.

BTW, this rant is not aimed at anyone particular, I just wanted it off my chest.

However, I totally agree with JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS on the fact that the extra MF% will not get you that much better results. Deminishing returns already kick in strongly after 300%. More is however always better, just don't be afraid to loose too much when you swap some MF gear for some survival gear.

4. MithrandirX

MithrandirX IncGamers Member

I run my andymeph sorc at about 475% and am very pleased with the results I get. When I do the pit, however, I like to boost that to about 650-700, and often use the merc to add even more.

The most important factor in MF, is speed. Any serious mfer knows this. If dropping some mf gear shaves time off your runs, then you should do it. Not, as the previous poster says, ONLY when you are having trouble killing things. To take meph as an example, you should use whatever equipment allows you to kill him in the 6-8 second timeframe. Your legit meph runs really shouldn't be longer than 2:15 or so. Many will be as short as 50 seconds. The pit should take you 6:00 at the very most for full clearance of both levels. Even if you are killing well, but are taking longer than this, you should consider overhauling your equipment. There are plenty of ways to fall within these parameters and still have tons of mf. If you don't, you are simply wasting time. I doubt 100 more mf will make much of a difference for you, and I feel pretty sure that another shield would serve you better. (I would imagine that you can't hit the fcr bp with the monarch on; i can't). Keep it on switch or just don't use it.

Equally important is to just have fun. If your skellimancer makes you happier in the pit than your strafeazon, go for it, even if he's a bit slower.

Anyway.. gl.

Mith

5. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

MF-Sorceress Mantra: "I shall never sacrifice my killing speed and power for MF".

The faster you can kill the more runs you can make. If you can kill teh fastest with all your MF-Gear on, thats jst fine, keep going, otherwise exchange some gear for killing gear.

The more MF you the further the added chance for unique items diminishes, while the added chances for set-items diminish at a lower rate. With really high MF you will see more sets dropping mostly.

6. luuuucifer

luuuucifer IncGamers Member

You'll have to find a lot of extra stuff to make up for the 4 ists you are spending on your new mf shield...

7. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

This is what I meant with having trouble killing. I know it's a little weirdly stated (my english isn't all that good) but I meant the same as you.

But in your Meph example you overlook some things. Many people do not have the experience to take down Meph in 50 seconds. Especially the "teleporting to" part takes most time. If you then take 2 seconds more to kill Meph, then what's the big deal?

But actually I only meant to say that one should not drop down in MF% just because someone else stated a "perfect %" to MF.

8. Promethius

Promethius IncGamers Member

I use my 4 ist monarch on switch for killing meph mostly, and I think I get a little better drops since I started using it, but don't expect a huge difference.

A semi-related question. What do you guys think the best weapon to use on switch for mf is? I heard 2 ist baba only gives you the mf if you are melee, is that true or just someone bs-ing? It seems to me like going with a six isted sword would take a long time to pay for itself, do you think it would be worth it if I can afford it?

9. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

2xIST Alibaba is the highest you can get for any char ;)
    Also for the "poorer" in IST runes and not soo high lvl 1xIST Gull Dagger is nice too :D

I think even 4xIST Monarch is already NOT worth those runes, neither is 6XIST sword. What do you guys expect from luck? Its not like suddenly IK-armors and the lots raining from the sky :p ??

Never sacrifice your killing power for MF :p

10. GenXCub

GenXCub IncGamers Member

2Xist ali baba at level 99 = 159 MF, 6 IST Crystal Sword = 180 MF

11. JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS

JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS Banned

I never said 450-500 mf was the perfect mf, I meant it as in that's an easy amount to get with high killing speed, if you can get more and still kill as good, go for it..

12. Blazing Mary

Blazing Mary IncGamers Member

Question for MithrandirX - and everyone else

My Question: Why is speed so important? Call me a Noob if you must but what I really would like is an explanation of why it is so important to do MF runs quickly. I am in no great hurry, should I be? If so, why?

However, I'm glad to see you also stated:

Equally important is to just have fun. If your skellimancer makes you happier in the pit than your strafeazon, go for it, even if he's a bit slower.

Happy gaming :D

13. JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS

JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS Banned

Faster runs, more drops, more items. Simple as that, if you don't see the point in running it that fast then go ahead, but when I mf I like to do it fast as I can.