Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question about merc weapon

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by galtzaiLe, Apr 14, 2005.

1. galtzaiLe

galtzaiLe IncGamers Member

Question about merc weapon

Hi there.

I just found this unique Yari on NM:

Hone Sundan
    Yari
    Two-Hand Damage: 105 to 214
    Durability: 28 of 28
    Required Strength: 101
    Required Level: 37
    Spear Class - Normal Attack Speed
    Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
    Item Level: 59
    Fingerprint: 0xf6287696
    +195% Enhanced Damage
    +20 to Minimum Damage
    +40 to Maximum Damage
    45% Chance of Crushing Blow
    Repairs 1 durability in 10 seconds
    Socketed (3: 0 used)

and I have a few questions :D

1) Why the ATMA readout says that is Normal Attack Speed and the game shows Slow Attack Speed? I'm a bit confused about that.
    /edit: This could be due i'm looking it in-game with a sorc?

2) This will my merc weapon... should I socket it with Shael/Shael/Amn, Shael/Amn/Amn, Shael/Amn/Eth (or any other convination of low runes)?

Acording with an online aspd calculator with one Shael will hit 7fps, 3.5 attacks per sec and with Shael/Shael 6.5fps, 3.8 attacks per sec, is this ok? Should I go for the 6.5fps?

Sorry for the newbish questions :D

Thanks in advance :)

2. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

1) Attack Speed is class dependant. The atma readout isn't. You're spot on when you think that it has to do with what character is looking at it.

2) Your merc really wants an ethereal one... upgraded... but given that you are handing him this one, you're on the right track with those runes. Get out the speed calculator, or find out how much IAS you want, and Amns and Eths are both nice additions. The difference in 7 to 6.5 fps is quite noticable both in damage dealt, and your merc's stopping power.

3. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Since it has so large amount of Crushing Blow, the attack speed is extremely important. I suggest AmnShaelShael (unless the merc has other IAS gear).

4. PyroStock

PyroStock IncGamers Member

I also recommend that. I haven't found an ethereal one yet, but I'm still very happy with the 'AmnShaelShael' in the one I do have.

5. ZeN

ZeN IncGamers Member

Yeah, AmnShaelShael is what i used to till i could equip him with Reaper ( the best Merc weapon IMO ). It'll work great and given a low level requirements its an ultimate weapon for a merc early on ( and on HF merc is even farther ).

6. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

- Hone is an excellent merc weapon, ethereal would be awesome ... but a regular one is still Hell viable for sure especially for Boss running with the inherent huge Crushing Blow.

- So, A Hone Sundan is a Yari with a base weapon speed of 0 has a breakpoint table of:

Character Mercenary - Act 2
    Weapon Yari / Yari
    Skill Jab
    IAS Frames per attack Attacks per second
    0 % 8 3.1
    9 % 7.5 3.3
    20 % 7 3.5
    37 % 6.5 3.8
    65 % 6 4.1
    105 % 5.5 4.5
    200 % 5 5

So, 2 shaels will be 40% ias which will make the 6.5 fpa attack breakpoint of 37% ias.

From a weapon standpoint along, two shaels and an Amn would fit the bill, which is what i've done with mine.

If you are using other sources of IAS then you may be able to hit the 6 fpa breakpoint of 65% which means that you need another 25% ias from other sources.

- Late Hell the damage from the Hone Sundan starts to pale a bit from a pure damage standpoint although the crushing blow makes up for some of it. But against bosses it's awesome. Stack the Hone with a Guillame's Face for an amazing 80% Crushing Blow and watch the boss' health drop like crazy.

For boss running you can then swap out your merc weapon if you wish for a higher damaging weapon (stash it in your cube).

For the necro class an upgraded ethereal Hone Sundan is probably THE merc weapon to get. Better than an eth Reaper's because a necro can control curses and your amp damage won't be overriden by the ctc decrep on the Reaper's. An eth 3 sock Tomb Reaver is amazing ... but lacks the huge crushing blow inherent in the Hone. It may be a bit better in regular gameplay but overall i'd rather have an upped eth hone personally (haven't found one yet).

7. galtzaiLe

galtzaiLe IncGamers Member

Thanks guys for the replys, you really help my out.

I know Eth gear are better on merc, but so far is the best spear/polearm I've found, so is guess the Hone is my best option :p

After read your advices I'll go for Shael/Shael/Amn for the 6.5 fpa without any doubt.

Thanks again :)

8. Rizzo

Rizzo IncGamers Member

A standard Hone Sundan is great too. Besides it's primarily the CB that makes it good, not the damage. Ethereal only makes it deal more physical damage which is good in the later stages of the game (more dam = more life leech), but as I said, CB is the better part of this weap.

9. Day

Day IncGamers Member

Amn Shael Shael is good for the Merc and also good for a Spearzon In case you ever want to make one and they will want non-eth) in that there is little point in having over a 80 IAS total (for me its fairly easy to add 20 from gloves and 20 from Highlords) on a Spearzon in that next breakpoint is miles away and 3x Shaels in the Hone isn't going to make the difference.