Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question about Maul

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Quietus, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Question about Maul

I was thinking... with the way Feral Rage works, it adds a chunk of life leech and r/w that work even when you're running around with Fury. With Maul, the green orb increases your damage... does that carry over to other attacks used? Are there any mods from it that do?

I'm thinking about a fire claw/maul combo, and wondering in what ways a fully charged green Maul orb will aid my fire claw attack. I'm thinking about using a noneth 3os tomb reaver that I found the other day, triple shaeled, with 50 OIAS to get a 5 frame attack.

2. MrGoth

MrGoth IncGamers Member

The killing speed will be very odd here. Maul never really worked nicely for me in pvm unless I snapped out shockwave to support it.

Imo, the only thing helpful from precharging maul is the stun that it will add with the other attacks. On my fc druid, i sometimes use my base 1 maul just to help thin out lister and his chums. Although the duration isnt that helpful, the minor lockup is.

3. Verashiden

Verashiden IncGamers Member

Is Maul's duration 20 secs like Feral? If so then I see some merit with it since you'd only need to connect once to keep it full and stun happy.

4. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

It is. It's just more difficult to keep it charged (IMO) because you don't have the run/walk bonus. I'd much prefer to have a Feral charge on my werebear than a Maul charge, sometimes... other times, I rather enjoy Mauling.

I may just stick with the pure Fireclaw idea, in the end. I've been leveling him, working on fireclaw first off, because of the massive damage - level 24 and I'm killing everything in one hit, and the +5 mana / kill from the wall of eyeless I've equipped makes it so I never run out of mana. Unfortunately, I don't have a very fast one-handed weapon to take me through A3... and I have no mana/kill anywhere else.

::Edit:: What I mean to say is ... stick with fireclaws, but charge Maul. Stick with the 5 frame attack, using the trishael tomb. More fire damage, that way... and I'll put an infinity on my merc.

5. Voice

Voice IncGamers Member

Old school druids use to use both maul and fc ... charge maul then use fc for more ar ... fire damage + shock + physical damage ... can stun / fhr whatever lock, (drunk but i know its a lock of some sort). But its a hard build to do, reason is ... you can't have high fc or high maul ... so your kind of stuck w/ low damage fc and low damage maul (which is naturally low), so no good.

hmmmmm i had a random brainstorm ... i'll post it when sober ... unless i like it ... then i'll test it.

6. Voice

Voice IncGamers Member

sorry 10 char ... you know i wanted a high post count !!!

7. Dimmu Borgir

Dimmu Borgir IncGamers Member

If you activate Maul, then switch to Werewolf, will the Maul still be active? Likewise if you activate Feral Rage and switch to Werebear, will the Feral still be active?

8. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Nope. You have to unshift, then reshift. When you unshift, you lose the charge.

Voice - I look forward to hearing this brainstorm of yours. :thumbsup:

9. MrGoth

MrGoth IncGamers Member

Sometimes when you strike with maul / feral right before or just as you deshift {due to the timer}, you have one of the orbs around you in human form.

I dont know if you can sift into the other type while still keeping this minor bonus. But afaik it only happens with the first strike of the orb {nothing too high}. Also i dont know if you can force this to happen by unshifting on purpose once you strike / try to strike with either.