Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question about map saving/reloading

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Turbocannon, May 30, 2015.

1. Turbocannon

Turbocannon IncGamers Member

Hello everyone!

Out of pure luck, my main MF sorc has a Hell map that's simply super-awesome for running several bosses and areas (among others: Meph, Countess and Ancient Tunnels).

Now, there are several reasons I might need to change my map. I want to do some LK running at some point, and I also wanna access the socketing quest rewards in NM and Normal. First of all, I'm aware of the -seed command, which, if I understand correctly, works like this: [start game with -seed 123... appended to the end of it --> load up the character whose map I want to replace --> exit game --> restart without -seed command]. Does this still work in 1.13d, RWM, without any problems?

Secondly, I've noticed that my character has these .map, .ma0, .ma1, ... files next to the save file. Is there an alternative way to save and reload maps using these? That is, if I backup these files, then delete them from the save folder, I guess a new map is generated - would it be possible to change maps simply by swapping these in and out as necessary? If so, would it even be possible to rename the files to other characters' names and swap in the maps to those characters? If not, what problems are associated with this?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Stickies are fairly clear on the use of the seed command IIRC. I suggest you remove the instructions from your post too.

Saving maps is not allowed. You just have to re-roll them and live with it.

3. Turbocannon

Yes, they are. That's actually where I took the instructions from.;) Or do you mean that there is some sort of restriction for when doing so is allowed?

Edit: Okay, reread it now. This is embarrassing, I'm a very careless reader. So it's not something you're allowed to use just for convenience, I take it? Still, I guess my question about copying .map files stays - does it work, and is it an acceptable substitute for -seed whenever it is needed?

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  4. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

This seems to be a matter of the SPF trading rules:

I find the mention of the word "accidental" a bit confusing. The trading rules also say that you have to declare that a recovered map has been used. With other words, it seems to be OK to trade items which have been found on a restored map, as long as you mention that, correct?

BTW, "clear the seed" means to start the game without the -seed option after having restored the map.

5. Gripphon

Gripphon IncGamers Member

Or you can just crash game in processes, crush game.exe before you s/e and your missclick (how you lost map, right) never really happened. I find it more convenient way to avoid losing maps on "accidents" than using seed command since you don't even need to know your map seed.

6. logoutzero

logoutzero IncGamers Member

Just remember the #1 rule around here: This is a game, you can do whatever you want on your own computer! Things like -seed and such aren't welcome in the MP/T pool, but it's not as if it's some dark cheat that will get you banned from this site.

Unfortunately I know nothing about the command and can't help you. The .map/.ma1/.ma2 are the files that store your MINI maps, as in, "how much of the world space this character uncovered" files. AFAIK.

And finally, yes, trying to save a map for later use is bad juju for MP/T, so if you like to trade or play with us, please don't do it.

7. Turbocannon

Yes, well, I do trade from time to time. While I'm not sure why map reloading isn't allowed when much more significant mods and exploits are (RWM, time travel...), I don't want to get in trouble over such a minor thing, so if that's the rule, I'll just abstain from it.

Interesting tip about killing the process, I'll try it if I ever misclick difficulties.