Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question about lost items.

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Esmute, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Esmute

Esmute IncGamers Member

Question about lost items.

Hey.. can someone explain to me how could this happen? I just wanna know cuz i lost many great stuff i had and i have to idea why.

I was trying to level up my merc while playing with my pally. I did once and i went back to try to get my body back. I died again (2 body lying on the floor) and i left the game. From my previous knowledge, the body with the most expensive items gets to be the one that you get back. When i joined another game, i tried picking up my body and it said "i cannot carry " message. I go so scared and then i freed up some of the space i had in the inventory and when i pick up my body again, i only got this rare shield i had on my secondary weapon slot.

I lost everything =(. This include perfect verdungo, perfect draculs, 195 umed HoZ, highlord, 2 raven frost, 15 all res jeweled shako and 391% ETH BOTD berserker and wire fleece COH. Im so sad now. All my items were great for my zealot now i got nothing :(........ I just want to know how this happened to prevent this to happen again.

2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

The only explanation is that the game left the shield in your second slot for some reason. When you died for the second time, the game decided that the item must be removed as well.

I guess that shield has a higher vendor value than all your other equipment. Uniques sometimes have a ridiculous vendor price. In 1.09, Charsi offered 17k or so for a WF :lol:. Some items are ridiculously expensive. For example, I have a scepter with nice paladin bonuses having three ED jewels in it (for leveling). My paladin fainted when he was told that repairing it would cost 400k. This was in 1.09, so there was no repair recipe. I had to start some cowruns with my amazon to gather the gold- he was L30-40 or so at that time.

So the problem was some bug which created a corpse with an item which should have been on the first corpse. I never heard of that. Might it be the case that you picked it up while recovering the corpse ?

No matter what it was: To avoid that, never have more than one corpse with equipment on it, unless you are sure the value of the stuff on the unimportant corpse is negligible... neglible... neglibable... errm :uhhuh: , unless you are sure it's worth less than the stuff of the important corpse. If you die and you think it's worth the risk to recover your corpse, check if your character is really naked and make sure he stays naked until you got back your equipment.

3. AntiLifer

AntiLifer IncGamers Member

this also happened to me and i lost a perfect sculders /w topaz and a white wand with +3 bone sear +2 bone spirit and+3 decrepify......that was over a month and a half ago and i havn't found a wand anywere near as good as the one i lost :( but i found about 4 sculders, though none of the perfect... so Esmute i feel ur pain, though urs is much worst :mad:

Anti....

4. Esmute

Esmute IncGamers Member

The rare shield was valued at 35000 (which is the max price from vendor). It was a rare kurast shield. This is very weird cuz when i have 3 corpses lying around i usually leave and i get the right corpse with me.

Oh well...i was sad yesterday but i feel better now.. I guess i have to find them again. Thought perfect verdungo/ perfect dracul are not easy to come by. Thanks guys for the help.

5. batmann

batmann IncGamers Member

when you died, you probably went to your secondary weapon and shield to try and get your body back. i'm not exactly sure on this, but i think if you leave the game with more than one body on the floor, the game saves the equip on the last body, unless it doesnt have anything, then it saves the first.

6. Ruvanal

Ruvanal IncGamers Member

The 35000 is the max that the vendors will pay for the item, not its value as the game calculates it. The calcualted value can be a lot higher. Try selling some 'junk' rare items to a vendor and then look at what it would cost to buy them back. This will give you a better idea of what it real value is to game.

It sounds like you were using some form of strength tiering to equip that shield in the first place. When you died the first time all your equiped items went onto the corpse. Then you tried to recover your corpse and all but the rare shield equiped (did not have the right equipment in place to be allowed to meet the strength requirements due to previous str tiering). Then you died again with the second corpse having all but the shield on it. At that point you would have had two corpses with items on them; one with the shield and the other with the rest of your items. Since most set and unique items have relatively low values associated with them compared to the way the game rates the values of rare items, the total of all the other stuff was less than the shield.

When you went to a new game you had to clear backpack space to allow for the shield that you did not have the strength to equip (the "i cannot carry " message).

Avoid strength tiering if you can. If you are doing it to equip items, be prepared to leave the game instead of trying to recover your corpse from a difficult situation or you may encounter this again.