Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question about Itunes

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by diablo loves donutz, Oct 18, 2006.

1. diablo loves donutz

diablo loves donutz IncGamers Member

Question about Itunes

Hi guys. I just have a quick question about itunes for anyone who knows how everything works. I kind of want to buy seperate songs and make a "mixtape" from them, but just have them as my ipod as though it were still a mixtape. My only question is how do I move all of these songs under one section? For example, when I bought just a single song instead of an album, it would place it in my library by itself and I don't know how I can combine it with another one, can anyone help? I basically want to know how I can adda bunch of different singles into one section, rather than seperated ones. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again guys.

2. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

What you want is a playlist. You can make them in iTunes, or make On-the-Go playlists on your ipod.

3. diablo loves donutz

Thanx, I think I understand now what do to by the playlist thing now. I just make a new one, then I can take all those singles I want and move them to that playlist. But another question I'm still in need of is how do I transfer this list to my Library. I've got all my albums and what not all organized in my library, but how do I import this new playlist onto my Library so I can manage things better?

Thanks again btw

4. SuggestiveName

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you want to do. Your playlists will be in itunes on the left. When you click on them it will display the songs in your library. You can't really sort your library by playlist that I know of.

5. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Your last post made my brain hurt.

I think you may be confused. All the songs in any playlist are already part of your Library. Your Library is a listing of all the songs you've ever put onto iTunes. Playlists are specific sets of songs you have grouped together out of your Library.

6. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

What on earth does iTunes actually do? See, I have a list of all the songs I play - it's called a directory. c:\workarea\music

7. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

itunes is a music player/organizer created for the iPod

8. myleftfoot

myleftfoot IncGamers Member

It's beyond you because you're too "cool" to keep up with technological advances ... likes cars and mobiles ;)

9. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I know, but how exactly do songs need "organising"? I mean, if I want them in folders by genre or something I can just create the directories.

Pfft, cars. I go everywhere on kangaroo-back.

10. jackthelad

jackthelad IncGamers Member

I thought this would have something to do with you.

11. oscarmk1

oscarmk1 IncGamers Member

Dont use itunes its evil really, use winamp + ipod plugin.

12. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Donny I would like to see you organize 10k+ songs and have about 200 playlists and be able to search them quickly and load them onto an iPod.

Honestly I haven't found a better organizer for music/video. I know there are things out there that play more formats. . .but I have an OGG plugin and I hate WMA.

13. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Yeah, fight the power! I hate large companies are their well-funded programs.

14. oscarmk1

oscarmk1 IncGamers Member

The real problem with itunes is that it sucks up your ram so so much its ridicolous, especially if ran in windows. Seriouslly i have 1 GB Ram and when i have itunes + other stuff itunes crashes or the songs get played with low quality. That's why i said bye bye itunes, hello winamp + ipod plugin.

15. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I don't really understand the point of a playlist either, but don't programs like Winamp or other music players have that functionality built in? Not that I ever use it.

And why do you need a program to organise the songs? If you have 10,000 songs (and I can't imagine why you would) you can just put them in directories based on whatever classification you want. I don't get it.

16. SuggestiveName

I mean, playlists are nice if you want to...you know, listen to more than one song in a row.

17. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I have close to 11k songs and my dad is adding to it weekly. It is useful to have all of your songs in one place and easy to find. There is no way I could do that with directories. I have that much music because I have a wide variation in what I like to listen to.

It is nice to just have a bunch of playlists I can click on once and have start playing, without them I would have to go and find all the songs I like, open them up in the program and then play them.

Plus it gives me other benefits like streaming my music over the network so I don't need multiple copies of my music on my various machines. I can use my server to go through my surround sound, or through my Airport Express for my stereo in my game room or onto my desktop in the office. It also labels all my songs as I rip them from CDs, I haven't come across too many CDs that it doesn't get and those were Radio releases not production discs.

Using a program to organize your music is simpler and gives more options on what to do with your music. Then again if you only have a few songs and no home network you probably don't care.

18. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Wow, 11,000 songs...

I still don't really follow though, if you want to open songs over the network you can just open the files from Explorer or whatever just the same as if it was on your local drive.

So how does iTunes organise the songs? Is it like a database - you can organise songs by a variety of different categories or something? Or does it just put them in folders?

19. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

It is a database with an MP3 player tacked on. Some people put non-music files on it just to search it easily.

You can sort by genre, name, date added, times played, album, artist, bit rate, beats per minute, disc number, description, rating, last played, last skipped, year, etc.

Using it over the network is easier and more stable than using the built in Explorer stuff because it gives a buffer and tries to cache upcoming songs. Not to mention you get all the same sorting/searching ability that you do with your local Library.

20. diablo loves donutz

Sorry I haven't been able to post in a while guys, been kind of busy. Yea the whole thing with organizing and such is still all confusing to me, but I'm still just going to stick with itunes. I guess I need to reiterate my question again, because I didn't put it across to you guys very clear, that was my bad lol. What I mean is how do I organize my songs so that they are organized that way on my ipod. For example...I bought the sum 41 album Chuck. It had 13 songs, plus a 14 th bonus song added on to it. The cd with all 13 songs appered on my library, while another section with the same cover and artist, but with only the 14th song appeared. It's awkward because when on my ipod, the 14th song will play when I select sum 41, but not when I select the album itself. Pretty much what I'm asking is how do I take all the singles that I plan to buy and organize them onto a single album for when I play it on my ipod? Rather then switching constantly back and forth, how do I arrange them to all show up under one "album"? Thanks guys.