Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question about Insigth and utility-RW:s in general.

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Aldarad, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Aldarad

Aldarad IncGamers Member

Question about Insigth and utility-RW:s in general.

Insight is a runeword wich among other things give Meditaion-aura, nice if you are a spellcaster, just put it in a polearm and give it to a Act 2 Merc.

Now I have the runes and I have a 4.socketed polearm. Problem is its a voulge. That would give an item with far less damage then what I now have.

So how important is damage for an "utility-merc"? He will still give the auras just not kill that fast (or at all).
    Would it be stupid not to hunt for a better weapon and is there a simpel way to get that?

2. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Mercs depend of leech to survive. Leech depends on damage. No damage = dying a lot.

You can get an eth exceptional very cheaply on the trade forums.

3. Mursilis

Mursilis IncGamers Member

It might depend on what type of character you are using. If you are a skellimancer then a low damage weapon on the mercenary won't be a terrible thing. That way Iron Maiden won't hurt him quite as much and your skeletons/revives are doing all the physical damage you need.

On the flip side if you are a sorceress then I would suggest looking for a more powerful weapon as you will need the added physical backup in case you encounter a monster immune to your elemental attacks.

4. fahartle

fahartle IncGamers Member

Yeah, exceptionals are easy to get. A "Bill" will also always attain 4 sockets from Larzuk and will get them from the socketing horardric recipie half the time. Just keep an eye out and one will drop eventually.

But, honestly, I recommend getting a nice elite polearm with 4 sockets in it and using that. The ethereal ones are a bit more expensive to trade for, but you can get a white one for just a few pgems. I've got a couple of 4os Threshers if I recall that you're welcome to for just a few pgems. If you get enough dough to get an Andariel's Visage (the best all around merc helm, in my opinion), you can give that to your merc and easily equip an ethereal Colossus Voulge. You can trade for those, at least on USEast, for an Um or 30 Pgems. That will also always get 4 sockets from Larzuk and your Merc (using infinity) will easily hit in the thousands per hit. His dying problems will largely be over...

5. PFS

PFS IncGamers Member

I like to have a low req polearm for Insight so as soon a a merc reaches the level requirement they can carry it, which I then use for leveling until late game when I switch to elite polearms.

A low damage Insight can also be good in other ways, such as when fighting monsters that cast Iron Maiden which will cause many many merc deaths if they have a high damage polearm. Or when going after nithilak - if you have natures peace anythign YOU kill he will not explode, but anything your merc does kill he will. In these two instances you DO NOT want your merc doing damage.

6. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

Actually, a low damage Insight like a Voulge wouldn't be so bad for a sorceress. As a sorceress, you can teleport to keep your merc alive. If you teleport just before he reaches the monsters, then he wont get hit, ever. You can then just keep him there as a life/mana regen well (you are using a Prayer merc, aren't you?), his only purpose being to keep you healthy without needing potions.

7. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Versus Nihlathak, your merc will die quickly if he doesn't deal lots of damage to leech from, in particular when tomb vipers are near. Just stay away from him, but not too far, else he will follow you, getting beaten up in the process - and killing enemies in your vicinity.

8. oOmpie

oOmpie IncGamers Member

Or just bring your own corpse explosion to Nihlatak :badteeth:

9. Jackson

Jackson IncGamers Member

I find the Snakes actually a bigger threat than Nithlathak. Generally, high resists will guarantee you to survive a couple CEs, but a group of snakes....not very likely.