Question about Infinity and breaking immunities

hiei36

Diabloii.Net Member
Question about Infinity and breaking immunities

Sorry if this has been posted (in which case, can you point me to the link, cause all I see are post about Infinity and lightning sorcs), but I was wondering how effective is Infinity at breaking immunities for my Blizzard sorc. Basically, can I break a lot of cold immunes with this on my merc? Or is it a total waste if I'm just using it to break cold immunes with this? Thanks for any help.

Eilo Rytyj

Diabloii.Net Member
Infinity's Conviction (slvl 12, -85%) will break immunities up to 116% resist.

Because 85/5 = 17
116-17=99, broken immunuty.
117-17=100, not broken.

Your cold mastery will kick in after that with full effect.

Unfortunately there are many cold immunes that can't be broken, that have over 116% resist. Your best bet is to check Arreat Summit's monster guides, there's too many monsters to mention in one post.

Or you could go out and check yourself in-game, and make a mental note of which ones are broken and which aren't.

Leohappy

Diabloii.Net Member
cold sorcs don't benefit greatly from infinity because few cold immunes can be broken and apart from that cold mastery already works against resistances (which are hard-capped at -100)

it's more useful with fire/lightning sorcs or other classes that use these kind of attacks (javazon, trapper)

FrostBurn

Diabloii.Net Member
hiei36 said:
I was wondering how effective is Infinity at breaking immunities for my Blizzard sorc. Basically, can I break a lot of cold immunes with this on my merc? Or is it a total waste if I'm just using it to break cold immunes with this? Thanks for any help.
Taken from one of my previous replies to a previous thread:
FrostBurn said:
Ok, this is how it works. Only Lower Resist and Conviction can break enemy elemental resistances. LR lowers (or breaks, but when breaking, is reduced to 1/5 effectiveness) all elemental resistances, whereas Conviction lowers (or breaks, again at 1/5 effectiveness) only fire, cold and lightning. So when facing immunes, the Conviction on your Infinity will work at -85/5 = -17 at breaking elemental immunes.

CM cannot break CIs. However, if the CI is broken by either LR, Conviction, or both working together (if working together, add the two values and divide by 5), then CM comes into play. In other words, break first, and if successfully broken, CM is applied to whatever the value of - enemy cold resistance you currently have. CM has a cap of lowering to -100% enemy cold resistance, which is why slvl 17 CM (-100%) is the optimal target for 0% cold resistance monsters.

Note that the majority of CI monsters have over-stacked cold resistance, so even a combo of LR and Conviction cannot break them. And if they remain CI, then CM is worthless against them. Also note that the -100% to enemy resistances cap applies across the board, regardless of whether you are using LR or Conviction.