Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question about Guild Wars

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Breakdown, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Breakdown

Breakdown Diabloii.Net Member

Question about Guild Wars

I understand that two expasions for the game recently came out and i dont know which one to get. I heard that Nightfall is for pvm and Faction is for pvp. Some people say they both suck and i should just stick to the original. Whats your opinion on this?

2. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

My opinion: The original sucked, too.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

3. LonghornRob

LonghornRob Diabloii.Net Member

Liar!

-----

I'm sure if you googled game reviews (IGN or something similar) you could find out whether they're actually worth purchasing or not.

4. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

You wound me, Longhornrob.

5. Quietus

Quietus Diabloii.Net Member

They both carry a lot of benefits for PvM and PvP. I suggest that you pick up the base game first, give that a try, and then move on to Faction and Nightfall. Faction does have more PvP content, from what I've heard - I have only hearsay experience with the expansions, unfortunately - but both have a great deal of PvM stuff, including various skills that are accessible only from that expansion.

One of the features in Nightfall is a "heroes" thing - where you have mercenary/hirelings in Prophecy (the original) and Faction, Nightfall introduces "heroes". You earn them as quest rewards, and they're basically mercenaries that you control yourself, to a certain extent. There are PvP arenas specifically centered around Heroes.

In Factions, they introduced some PvP mode where the more your side won, the more access to a certain part of a map you would have. Your character was part of one of two factions, and there is one map that's got shared control between them. Through PvP arenas, you can gain more access to that map for your side, if you win.

6. Merick

Merick Diabloii.Net Member

Nightfall is new. People are playing it. The Factions areas are practically deserted.

7. birdfoot

birdfoot Diabloii.Net Member

I've been playing Guild Wars but have recently quit (until I see better variety in the game).

The original GW (a.k.a. Prophecies) is a pretty good chapter but the newer releases basically force you to play the game in a certain fashion (linearity comes to mind). If you've gotten bored of D2, you may wanna give the original GW a try before you consider the later chapters. Factions wasn't spectacular in any way and since it's quite deserted now, it's not really worth getting it unless you're sure you like GW. Nightfall has a pretty good campaign but on the other hand, the gameplay isn't that attractive overall and tends to get slightly single-player. Btw, Nightfall lasted me only a week since it didn't offer much difference from Prophecies and Factions.

Basically,
    - if you don't want to worry about the abundance of players and getting a group or that you wish to play more single-player, go for Nightfall
    - if you want more freedom and non-linearity, go for Prophecies
    - if you want more PvP action blended in PvE mode, try Factions (although I advise not to since PvP depends on population in that chapter)

Action in GW is still good but is in a totally different way from from D2 (more like WoW) and GW is not item-centric. Everyone can get the "so-called" most desired item rather easily. If you like RPG games, you may wish to reconsider about GW as it is actually an insult to genre. If pay2play isn't a problem for you, then I'd recommend WoW (as long as you're fine with grinding). Lastly, if you enjoy PvP, GW is a good choice.

Btw, I hope you don't end up asking for opinions in GW fansite forums as those forums are populated by fanboys and negativity is always responded with flame; so you may not be able to get any constructive opinions except from a selected few. I actually stopped playing D2, but I came back to the forums as some folks in GuildWarsGuru forums had mentioned D2 is a dying game so I came to check it out; looks like D2 isn't gonna die anytime yet. :)