Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question about GEMS in Diablo 3

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by GhostRidah, Aug 26, 2010.

1. GhostRidah

GhostRidah IncGamers Member

Question about GEMS in Diablo 3

Hi all,

English isn't my first language so i did not understand very well the interview with Jay Wilson about Levels Gems.

Exemple : if i want LVL 6 of a amethyst gem.
    LVL 5 = Perfect and can be dropped in the game as it mentionned in the interview ... .

do i need 3 perfect gems to upgrade to lvl 6 ?

Thanks in advance

2. Flux

Flux Administrator

Re: Question about GEMS in Diablo 3

There are 14 levels of gems in D3. There are just 5 in D2. It's therefore pretty unlikely that the same chipped, flawed, normal, flawless, perfect terms will be used in D3. If they are, those certainly won't apply to the first 5 levels of D3 gems.

Upgrading works just like it does in D2. You need 3 of any given level to upgrade them to 1 of the next level. Here's a Jay Wilson quote from one of the Gamescom interviews on that issue:

[BLUE="http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/jay-wilson-interview-tweakers.net/"]During the presentation, you told us something about the combining of gems. How does that work?

The gems that you will find in the game are of varying qualities. Some are better than others, and that will be pointed out by levels. The stones that you find vary from level 1 to level 5. However, a Jeweller can upgrade the gathered stones by combining them. That way, he can make stones of a maximum of level 14, even though that will require a lot of effort. In order to make a stone of level 6 for instance, the Jeweller will need three stones of level 5, which are of course quite rare.

In order to make a stone of level 7, he will need three stones of level 6, and so on. I don’t have the figures in my head, but if you keep calculating, it will require much effort to make a level 14 stone. Players can thus create fine pieces of gear through their Artisans, but there are also good items that can be found on the battlefield, or acquired as a reward from a completed quest.[/BLUE]

Note that the 3:1 ratio isn't set in stone. They might lower it to 2:1 at higher levels, as they did with D2 runes, if upgrading gems takes too long.

3. GhostRidah

so it's very impressive the number of gems that u need to get lvl 14 O_O

3x3x3x3x3x3x3x3x3x3x3x3x3x3 = 4 782 969 gems to get lvl 14 of one sort !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. sirroman

sirroman IncGamers Member

Actually, it would be 3*(14-1)= 1.594.323 gems. But yeah, that's still a whole bunch of gems.

5. Killafornia

Killafornia IncGamers Member

You don't count level 1 gems in since they are your initial 3. I made the same mistake.

6. GhostRidah

hehe :p but that's still a lot of gems !!!

Seriously, i cant wait for Blizzcon 2010, i wanna see more infos, more pics, more videos and more about the pvp scene in D3

7. blackbisket

blackbisket IncGamers Member

Well during the Q&A the next day, Jay also stated that that wanted to start with a crazy number and it may drop to like 10 they dont know yet.

8. sirroman

sirroman IncGamers Member

Like I said in the other topic. The coders should add 50~ gem levels and implement only those 10 or 14. Later they could easily implement how much crazyness they want hehe.

9. Flux

Flux Administrator

Whenever I think of this system, I remember starting out new chars in D2, SP. I'd usually twink down a weapon or 2 just to speed things along, but I'd play all the quests and most of the game on /p8, picking up every rune I found.

It was fun, getting lots of the lower runes, along with a few Rals and Orts and Tals (thank you rescue Baba quest reward) and a Thul or an Amn at some point. And then I'd cube up every single rune I'd found in hours of gameplay, and wine up with like, 1 Sol, and a Ral. Which meant absolutely nothing in the larger scheme of trying to cube up to higher level runes. It was quite possible, even likely, that the rune you got from the NM or Hell Hellforge quest was worth considerably more than every rune you'd found in dozens of hours of gameplay, to that point.

This comes up in discussions of the HR issues, but it's obvious even early on. You run the Countess successfully for months, finding tons of runes up to like, Ist. And all your finds won't even add up to one Lo. And you need eight of those to make 1 Jah. Etc.

Absent a lot of gem trading, D3 players are going to be walking around with L8, L9, L10, etc, gems for months and months. Getting to L14 is going to be years of work, if you're trying to self-find them. Assuming the drop rates or cube up ratios don't change.