Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question about Frozen/Shiver/Chilling armor

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Goryani, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Goryani

Goryani IncGamers Member

Question about Frozen/Shiver/Chilling armor

I've always had some questions regarding Frozen, Shiver and Chilling armor. I've used Frozen armor on all my sorcs but I am wondering if Shiver or Chilling armor may be better under certain uses. In searching these forums for guidance, I seem to run into varying opinions about which to use, which is fine, but there is a noticable lack of definitive into about WHY each one is/isn't better under certain situations.

Frozen armor is pretty straightforward: a mob hits you and it gets frozen by a set length. Great for many places but not all mobs can be frozen. It so happens that some of the most dangerous mobs in the game are those that can't be frozen, thereby negating the usefullness of Frozen armor on the mobs where you need the most help. In addition, Frozen armor has the lowest defense bonus. Also, Frozen armor applies the freezing effect only AFTER you have already been hit.

Shiver armor and Chilling armor, on the other hand, are where I have questions.

The only thing definitive information Arreat Summit says about Shiver armor is that it has a higher defense boost. Perhaps the biggest question I have regards the timing of the chilling effect. I found this quote in another thread:
    Let me see if I understand completely. If I am chain teleporting through a dangerous area and happen to teleport smack into the middle of a pack of nasties, Shiver armor will cause the very first attack from each mob to take longer? If so, what exactly constitutes "longer?" Is there a formula that determines the increase in the number of frames of the mob's attack animation? In other words, if Shiver armor makes each attack longer, wouldn't it be an inverse form of FCR against melee attackers?

And then there is Chilling armor. I had thought I knew enough about Chilling armor to realize I wasn't interested until I read this:
    Exactly what does this mean? Does Chilling armor actually reduce damage taken from ranged attacks above and beyond the defense it provides? Can Chilling armor completely or partially negate some ranged attacks? If so, what types of ranged attacks will Chilling armor work on?

What types of armor do you use? Why do you prefer that armor? What is your playstyle that benefits from that particular armor?

2. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

The time that Shiver Armor gives you is minimal. It simply gives you an additional edge, like extra FHR which becomes valueable at an amount of 68% and upwards. The sum of it all with maxed resistances and so on will help you escape when you land in groups of mobs like that. Usually its a group with boss and minions, so in Hell you will need all you can get then.

About Chilling armor i am not sure if it actually deflects arrows doing no damage whatsoever, or the defense vs. missiles is just so high that you do only take damage sometimes.

3. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

I see that Melianor is replying to this thread at this very moment, and as I plan to be thorough in my own reply, I will certainly fail to be the first to respond. :grin:

General
    All three armours increases your defense rating by a certain percentage (obviously, the higher the defense rating, the less chance a monster's attack with hit you).

In addition, they apply their effects after an enemy attack is applied to your sorceress. I re-emphasize, only after an enemy attacks you.

Also note that CI monsters take no cold damage and cannot be frozen or chilled.

Frozen Armour
    The first skill point increases your defense rating by 30%, with an additional increase of 5% per skill point thereafter.

A melee monster must hit you, only after which it will be frozen. If the melee monster misses, or you block the attack, it will not be frozen.

Against ranged attackers, apart from increasing your defense rating, Frozen Armour has no effect on them.

Shiver Armour
    The first skill point increases your defense rating by 45%, with an additional increase of 6% per skill point thereafter.

A melee monster only needs to attack you in order for it to be chilled. That attack can hit, miss or be blocked, but the melee monster will still be chilled after it attacks.

Against ranged attackers, apart from increasing your defense rating, Shiver Armour has no effect on them.

Chilling Armour
    The first skill point increases your defense rating by 45%, with an additional increase of 5% per skill point thereafter.

A ranged attack monster only needs to attack you in order for an ice bolt to always be launched in retaliation. That ranged attack can hit, miss or be blocked, but it will always result in an ice bolt launched against the ranged attacker.

Against melee attackers, apart from increasing your defense rating, Chliing Armour has no effect on them.

4. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

Save your points, and find a staff/orb with +1-3 to whichever cold armor you want, keep it in your stash/on switch to prebuff. The 1-3+ skillpoints are better spent elsewhere.

5. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Agree, spending hard skill points here should not be the way to go, unless your build is finished and you don't have other useful places to put the points.

6. ioupainmax

ioupainmax IncGamers Site Pal

i use chilling armour myself as i find ranged attacks most annoying and occasionally it deflects mephs orb. I put a hard point into chilling armour as i had mf on my switch and i couldnt be bothered with the business of going to my stash (to use the staff for chilling armour and then dump it back again) on every meph run - buts its personal preference - i agree that if you are unsure then definately save those points and get a staff with an armour and test it out to see whcih suits you best.