Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question about damage calcualtion

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Hughgo, May 11, 2008.

1. Hughgo

Hughgo IncGamers Member

Question about damage calcualtion

If your weapon does 200-400 dmg and the base damage on the weapon is 100-200 say, how does skill ed, off weapon ed, stat points and +max damage items (charm, rings, jewels) affect your damage.

Does skill ed enchance the overall weapon damage after adding max/min damage items to the overall damage (i.e. 200-400 damage becomes 200-410 with a 10 max damage ring and then the skill ed is acted upon 200-410)?

Does off weapon ed enchance only the base item damamge (100-200) and is this then not enchanced by skill ed i.e. this damage is then added to the overall damage after the damage from the skill ed is calculated?

How does +str add to the damage or +dex in the case of amazons (I assume its not added in the same way as +max damage since max damage charms are very popular) and why does adding dex for amazons often seem to be favoured while adding str for melee chars is not?

2. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

Re: Question about damage calcualtion

From Arreat Summit:
    Basically...

1. On-weapon %ED, max, min, straight dmg apply to the weapon's base.
    2. Skill %ED is additive with off-weapon %ED. %Dmg to Undead/Demon also applies.

This is how the formula combines stat points (which is not class-based, but rather weapon type-based), outside max, min dmg and off-weapon %ED and skill %ED.

So both your scenarios are wrong. Max/min damage gets added to final weapon damage, and is then multipled by a summation of stat points, skill %ED, and off-weapon %ED.

If you have no max/min dmg outside your weapon, and let's say you have a Barbarian wearing a Fortitude and with a Slvl 10 Bash, you would have an additive 395% Ehanced Damage in the highlighted portion of the formula.

3. Hughgo

Hughgo IncGamers Member

Thanks this is really helpful and exactly what I wanted to know - I can see how fortitude and especially max damage items really boost your damage. However, I have a few questions abouth this information:

1. I cant find this information on arreat, could you provide a link or tell me where I must look?

2. What does it mean by "Attack Damage - The first field represents the damage for the action assigned to your Left Action Icon, while the second field represents the damage for the Right Action Icon, regardless of whether the action is an attack, a skill, or a spell. The higher the number, the more damage your character will do per attack. If a field is blank, the action assigned to that slot does not cause direct damage." ! ?

4. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

1. Arreat Summit. Basic --> Characters.

2. lol, it's actually very simple. They are trying to literally define "Attack Damage".

Here's an image which might help.

"The first field represents the damage for the action assigned to your Left Action Icon, while the second field represents the damage for the Right Action Icon..."

The first field (pink) represents your Left-Click.
    The second field (green) represents your Right-Click.

"...regardless of whether the action is an attack, a skill, or a spell."

They can be changed into a attack or spell/skill, and if the spell does damage, it will show, i.e. my War Cry's damage is displayed.

"The higher the number, the more damage your character will do per attack."

Higher numbers means you do more damage. lol!

"If a field is blank, the action assigned to that slot does not cause direct damage."

If I change my Right-Click to something like Battle Command, it won't show any damage, because it doesn't do any damage.

5. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

It's also good to take the numbers on the lying character screen with a grain of salt (or an entire desalinated ocean's worth of salt). The LCS didn't get its name by accident.

As for adding dex to zons and not adding str to barbs:
    Dexterity increases both damage and attack rating for amazons. Also, they get only 2 points of life per point in vitality, and being ranged, they should not be hit often. Barbarians, on the other hand, get 4 points of life for each point of vitality, and then have BO to increase that further. They are also more often in the middle of the fight, so life is more important than adding to plain damage. On top of that, melee damage tends to be greater than ranged damage, so they don't need the damage boost as much.

There are still some barbs that use all strength: Titan barbs can be fun to play.

6. Hughgo

Hughgo IncGamers Member

Ah ok, I thought the "fields" were referring to the text that followed in some way.

Thanks for help.